• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thunder over Louisville.

Johnburns15

I do plan on going and will be ocing if I go. I have heard that it being a "military involved event" it's illegal to have firearms there. But to my knowledge, the person had no knowledgeable proof, it's not on military property(it's city property and private property) and I'm not going to be in Louisville around several hundreds of thousands of people unarmed.

09jisaac

I am thinking about going now that you mentioned it. It seems like it would be a blast. Thanks for bringing it up.

Johnburns15

Unless you are planning on flying around with the airplanes, the military involvement is nonsense. A few years ago Louisville Metro blocked off almost half of downtown Louisville and declared it a "gun free zone"during all Derby Festival events. KC3 fought them over it for years. Finally, about three years ago, after threats, by KC3, to sue police officers who enforced this GFZ, the Louisville Metro Police FOP told the city that they would no longer enforce that illegal policy and it went away. I just checked the Derby Festival website last night and found no mention of weapons being prohibited or "Gun Free Zones". There is a section of "What to leave at home" and firearms is not mentioned. It all appears to be just as it should be. Remember to be careful around the beer tents. They could be a problem. I'd hate to have to argue in court that a tent is not a room.

I had noticed that the "what to leave at home" section said nothing a out firearms.

And if anyone's planning on going, let me know an we may be able to meet up at some point and chat for a few.

Johnburns15

I'm not sure what the website is but if you google it it'll give you a better description.
It's part of the derby festival. During the day they have an air show with over 70 planes. And at either 2100 or 2130 there's a spectacular fireworks show. There are normally small rides and things like that for the children as well as vendors selling derby related things

KYGlockster

Activist Member
This is the same day as the EKM&G, looks like I will not be making the drive. It seems like it would have been rather entertaining though.

Johnburns15

Headed out to thunder over Louisville. If anyone else is going to be there and would like to meet up or chat feel free to send me a pm.

KRM59

My Thunder Day

Well i did go for a while, had my chair, my Tea and My XD45. everything was fine as a walked around checking out the Military area,Talking to My fellow Veterans and loving the Apachie they had on the ground. After getting my fill of that i decided to go on in and get me a spot to watch the Air show. Went up to the enterance gate no problem and the guy working the gate asked me if that was tea in the bottle or beer,to which i replied its tea he said fine and i walked in. I didn't get 30 feet and i heard Sir!!!, the guy had ran after me.... Sir is that a gun? i said yes it is... well you can't have that in hear he says there is a sign that says no firearms. I told him i didn't see any sign and i have a copy of the web site rules and what can not be brought in, and firearms is not on it, I also have a copy of all the proper KRS's that apply to this.He said let me contact someone and ask them.I said fine what ever you want to do.he called someone on his phone,said we have a guy that has a gun on his side,he says he has a permit..... i stopped him right there and said no i do not have a concealed carry permit, I don't need one to carry openly. He said something else to the one he was talking to and hung up. He looked at me like he was unsure what to do, i took that time to show him KRS85.870. after a couple of minutes he just said go ahead and have a good time and shook my hand and asked if i was meeting anyone i said nope just hear to enjoy the air show, where will you be he asked, down by the water i said and we parted ways.I was really expecting LEO to come find me for a bit of hassle but never happened. i had to leave early to meet someone, but that was that.

KRM59

Can you tell me exactly where that sign was? Did you actually see the sign? What was the exact wording? A picture would be better. This has all been gone over several times with the City of Louisville. We may have to go over it again.

Gutshot I never saw a sign of any kind. If there was one it sure wasn't right out where it could be seen. I know i was not going to be detured from going in. I had planed for all angles and had everything ready. What struck me weird is as i was walking along in front of the entrance i was in the middle of at least 25 state troopers and not one said a thing.and i am sure they had to notice. they looked right at me more than once. no one in the crowd seem to give a crap about my side arm, i was setting next to a family with 3 young kids and we talked and had a good time. But your right this will need to be re-visited i dont dought there may have been a sign somewhere. The security guy seemed very shocked i was armed. but he was very nice about it all.

Last edited:

KRM59

Can you tell me exactly where that sign was? Did you actually see the sign? What was the exact wording? A picture would be better. This has all been gone over several times with the City of Louisville. We may have to go over it again.

Can't wait to hear from johnburn he went also but we didn't get to join up.

KRM59

If you can tell me exactly where. I will go and try to find it and confront the city about it. It is not supposed to be there and it needs to be taken down for everybody else. I can't just drive all over downtown Louisville looking for one sign.

i entered at the main walkway to the great lawn.the far left side. if you go any further left you have to go up the stepway heading towards the belvadere.

KRM59

i will ride down there in the morning and look around, if there is a sign it will still be there because the chow wagon uses the same entrance,

Johnburns15

Gutshot I never saw a sign of any kind. If there was one it sure wasn't right out where it could be seen. I know i was not going to be detured from going in. I had planed for all angles and had everything ready. What struck me weird is as i was walking along in front of the entrance i was in the middle of at least 25 state troopers and not one said a thing.and i am sure they had to notice. they looked right at me more than once. no one in the crowd seem to give a crap about my side arm, i was setting next to a family with 3 young kids and we talked and had a good time. But your right this will need to be re-visited i dont dought there may have been a sign somewhere. The security guy seemed very shocked i was armed. but he was very nice about it all.

There was no sign!!! It stated "no bottles, no food or drink, no BLADES" nothing about firearms. I was in the same area all day. Had my firearm on my sign and was not stopped. As for my buddy, he had a back pack and they wanted to "search him for weapons an food" which I thought was ironic seeing as to how I was standing 3 feet away with a firearm completely visible lol

Johnburns15

I was in the fenced area where you had to purchase a "Pegasus pin" to enter. But walked up and down the river multiple times talked to 30-40 law enforcement officials, state, city, and military. And had not a single complaint concern or even question about my firearm. Besides a younger kid "is that a real gun". I had a great time (other then the cool weather) and had no issues on any part. Even had a state trooper offer to buy me a beer