• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coming to TN in May

NG19

I will be traveling on a family vacation to Tennessee in May and was wanting to know about open carry in TN. In Missouri the state is oc friendly but the munis have jurisdiction. Tried to look for laws in TN but was confused in trying to read it all. Would appreciate any help.

Oh Shoot

If you have a Missouri carry permit, you can conceal or open carry in TN. There is no differences in the law between open or concealed carry, but you must have permit to do either.

TN gun laws preempt local laws, except for any enacted before 1986. The only significant one I know of is that Knoxville City parks are no carry due to old local ordinance, but they don't have to be posted according to state law.

- OS

Last edited:

NG19

Thank you, that is pretty much what I got out of the laws but wanted to check with locals first. We are trying to progress in MO but it is slow going, thankfully it is going in the right direction. Does anyone know of any good relatively cheap places to visit either entertainment or food while we are there. We will be next to Newport I believe, between the mountains and Knoxville. Thanks again for any help.

WCrawford

Currently, Tennessee is a hodgepodge of local ordinances when it comes to local parks (city, county, and municipal). No guns signs, while not especially common, do carry the weight of law (39-17-1359).

Other than that, there are very few places that ate statutorily prohibited. Schools (including higher education), court rooms (when court is in session), secure areas of jails, and places off limits by federal law (sorry can't find the code on this one at this time).

Fallguy

Currently, Tennessee is a hodgepodge of local ordinances when it comes to local parks (city, county, and municipal). No guns signs, while not especially common, do carry the weight of law (39-17-1359).

Other than that, there are very few places that ate statutorily prohibited. Schools (including higher education), court rooms (when court is in session), secure areas of jails, and places off limits by federal law (sorry can't find the code on this one at this time).

Unlike some states, TN code doesn't mention "Places off limits by Federal Law".