• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Accidental discharge of my husband’s Glock 19 - Your help needed

Accidental2012

Please continue to help

I would like to say Thank You for all the comments and contributions that everyone has made on my behalf so far. Please understand that I would really like to openly explain what happened, but I was informed that it would not be in my best interest to do so at this time. With my deepest sincerity please continue with all that you can do to help.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Translation is clear - they're falling short of funds.

Once more into the breach ladies and gentleman. This could have happened to any of us - she deserves a fair hearing and Dan Haws will ensure that if humanly possible, but there are expenses beyond Dan's control too. We are talking about a Virginian here - someone in our own backyard.

Shake your piggy banks, look under the sofa cushions, skip one box of ammo, but send something - United we stand, divided we.......can't let that be an option.

Anyone wishing to help with this legal defense fund may send a contribution directly to Dan Hawes, PO Box 100, Broad Run, VA 20137-0100, please reference "Minnie".

By the way, I thought I should add that I have personally met with the defendant and her husband and we chatted for some hours. I can't answer all the questions that have been raised here, obviously, however I can say that, because of a number of personal financial and health-related problems, as well as having six kids to take care of, I have satisfied myself that these folks need financial help. I also believe that the lady is genuinely not guilty of the crime with which she has been charged. Otherwise, I would not have suggested that they ask for help.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Thank goodness again for electronic bill paying. Put "Virginia Legal Defense" as the payee, enter the address (my bank wants the phone number also - no problem giving it to them), make sure there is a note saying "Minnie", and click <ENTER>.

Bank automatically looks to see if there is an electronic account it can send money to. No such beast. OK, we'll send a paper check, my bank says. I don't have to find the checkbook, a pen, an envelope, a blank sheet of paper to tuck the check in so it can't be seen through the envelope, and a stamp.

Heck, it took less time to do the payment than it did to write all this.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Incoming Dan - just clicked on "send it"

May not have a lot, but will gladly share some of what I have.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Just found this thread again. I will send a donation as soon as possible.

Congrats on getting the best lawyer in VA!

user

Accomplished Advocate
This case was brought in the General District Court of the County of Prince William in Manassas.

The charge of discharge of a firearm within city limits in violation of a local ordinance was nolle pross'ed on March 20.

There is still pending a class-one misdemeanor charge of reckless handling of a firearm (18.2-56.1), which will be heard on June 12, 2012, at 9:00 a.m. The defendant's name is Babcock and the officer's name is Mello, if anyone wants to show up and watch - the docket will be posted on the second floor of the courthouse.

I've found it helpful if people present to show support demonstrate their orientation by such things as wearing shooting glasses, empty holsters, shooting vests, etc. in the courtroom.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This case was brought in the General District Court of the County of Prince William in Manassas.

The charge of discharge of a firearm within city limits in violation of a local ordinance was nolle pross'ed on March 20.

There is still pending a class-one misdemeanor charge of reckless handling of a firearm (18.2-56.1), which will be heard on June 12, 2012, at 9:00 a.m. The defendant's name is Babcock and the officer's name is Mello, if anyone wants to show up and watch - the docket will be posted on the second floor of the courthouse.

I've found it helpful if people present to show support demonstrate their orientation by such things as wearing shooting glasses, empty holsters, shooting vests, etc. in the courtroom.

Hmmm - reckless handling w/o discharge. Would have thought that nolle prossing one would defeat the other or was it only a twofer the price of one.

Agree with activism in the courtroom - it is noticed and of positive value IMHO. VCDL polo shirt, empty holster, clip board for notes are good. A "press pass" would be priceless!!

With no harm, no foul, worst I would hope for from the judge would be a stern "be more careful in the future".

Blk97F150

With no harm, no foul, worst I would hope for from the judge would be a stern "be more careful in the future".

That would be an ideal outcome. And perhaps some additional firearms safety training....

Unfortunately I don't think I can make the court date, but I'll drop a contribution in the mail to User.

Tess

Founder's Club Member

I'll try to make it.

Decisions, decisions. The VCDL shirt and GSL sticker, or the OCDO shirt and GSL sticker?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
June 12 happenings

I attended this morning, though the docket (and thus the courtroom) was full and the judge asked supporters (for all cases) to wait outside the courtroom. Where the real work gets done.

Case continued to mid-August, when it will be nolle prossed if she obtains the training the prosecutor will accept. I'm offered to try to find someone who will provide the training at low or no cost. I'll let user do the explaining why the training she already paid for will not do.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
Minnie had already taken the NRA "First Steps" course, and had a certificate with her. But the prosecutor wants her to have taken the NRA "Basic Pistol" course. Part of the problem is that there's a space on the certificate she had with her that said she'd trained using a .22lr revolver, and the gun in this case was a semiautomatic (Glock 17, if I recall correctly). So the deal is that the case is continued to August 16 to give her time to take the course, case to be nolle pros'ed. and gun to be returned.

45acpForMe

Minnie had already taken the NRA "First Steps" course, and had a certificate with her. But the prosecutor wants her to have taken the NRA "Basic Pistol" course. Part of the problem is that there's a space on the certificate she had with her that said she'd trained using a .22lr revolver, and the gun in this case was a semiautomatic (Glock 17, if I recall correctly). So the deal is that the case is continued to August 16 to give her time to take the course, case to be nolle pros'ed. and gun to be returned.

So is this the governments new attempt to force training? Charge you with some bogus crime and plea it down to you agreeing to take training?

I understand and agree that I would gladly take a few hours of training to avoid any charge but I would prefer the court drop the charges with a request that the person take training not a demand.