Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Police encounter at softball game

Police encounter at softball game

There are 2 versions of what happened tonight at Morell park in Henderson. The first is from my POV and only what I saw and heard with my own eyes, ears. The 2nd is what friends and family heard being said in the stands which I cannot confirm with certainty because I was not there.

My little sister had her first softball game tonight. I went straight from work to her game. I walked up to the field, said hi to my family and walked down the 3rd baseline where her dugout was. My father joined me a few minutes later to have a smoke. Before his smoke was out Henderson PD was there. 1 K9 and 2 other SUV's. They have a meeting for about 2 minutes while looking my way. I am about 100 yards from them and the parking lot. 2 of them make their way to me while 1 stayed back. I looked back over at them and they were walking rather casually towards me. They informed me they got a call that I had a gun tucked into my pants gangster style without a holster. I told them I was just open carrying watching my sister play ball. They said sorry that they had to make contact and pretty much that was it.

They view from the grandstands was much different. Once again this part is hearsay and third hand telling, even though it includes family and friends. A Henderson police detective was in the stands at the time. (I can confirm that a man in a dress shirt was open carrying a 1911) His wife was the one who got upset seeing me OC. She made him text HPD to check me out. After the cops left she yelled at him saying "you are the head detective in this city and you can't even stop a guy carrying a gun at our daughters softball game!?!?!" She was rather livid according to some people.

HPD was great. They smiled the whole time and apologized. The detectives wife made herself look like an idiot. The worst part was my sisters team lost like 20-2.

The most confusing thing is how can a detectives wife who is with her husband who is open carrying be upset when a pleb like myself does the same thing.

Founder's Club Member
    Sounds pretty tame.

Except for part where the cops lied about Mexican carry. The detective didn't text that. Not when its traceable back to him. Cops might lie to citizens, but I can't see a detective exaggerating to the cops who are going to investigate.

And, except for the part where cops investigated a human right, an enumerated right.

Does Nevada have a Sunshine Law/Freedom of Information statute? It might be kinda interesting to see what was texted. "My wife won't shut up until somebody checks out this guy open carrying a gun. Can you send somebody to check him out?"
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

28kfps
    Thanks for sharing the story. Sounds like Henderson PD has a good handle on what the carry laws are and how to handle a legal carried firearm.
    I am sorry for the very, very sad news about your lose. That is your sister not wining the ball game.

Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    Thanks for sharing the story. Sounds like Henderson PD has a good handle on what the carry laws are and how to handle a legal carried firearm.
    I am sorry for the very, very sad news about your lose. That is your sister not wining the ball game.
    I would have been tempted to go sit right next to her in the stands. I'm guessing the only reason they came out was because another cop called it in.

TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

Quote Originally Posted by greengum View Post
    A Henderson police detective was in the stands at the time. (I can confirm that a man in a dress shirt was open carrying a 1911) His wife was the one who got upset seeing me OC. She made him text HPD to check me out. After the cops left she yelled at him saying "you are the head detective in this city and you can't even stop a guy carrying a gun at our daughters softball game!?!?!" She was rather livid according to some people.
    1. That shrew needs to be tamed.

2. That detective needs to put on his big-boy pants.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

Howdy Amigo!
    I guess I'm still wondering why you'd carry a handgun without a holster? Maybe I missed something there, but a holster is reasonable for carry and for safety in carrying. Could you please elaborate on that for us?

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

It was holstered.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Taliesin View Post
    Howdy Amigo!
    I guess I'm still wondering why you'd carry a handgun without a holster? Maybe I missed something there, but a holster is reasonable for carry and for safety in carrying. Could you please elaborate on that for us?

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

You should read all the posts, it was not Mexican carry, that appears to have been a lie perpetrated by the LEO to justify the rights violation..
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Just curious, what was your sidearm of choice, and, type and brand of holster?

I'm just always interested in whar others carry. I have a Colt 1911 and Ruger LC9.

The 1911 I carry in Serpa and the lc9 in a Desantis iwb with the shirt tucked behind so it shows the grip and top of holster.

Even if it were simply pushed in his waistband, is that illegal there?
    What if he were using one of those mini holsters for Glocks which only cover the trigger & trigger guard?

Quote Originally Posted by greengum
    A Henderson police detective was in the stands at the time. (I can confirm that a man in a dress shirt was open carrying a 1911) His wife was the one who got upset seeing me OC.
    Um, yeah... she's got her own personal protection detail but nobody else is worthy enough to protect themselves? Sounds like a case of "only one" by proxy.

"you are the head detective in this city and you can't even stop a guy carrying a gun at our daughters softball game!?!?!"
    "No, dear, I have no authority to tell someone to stop doing something which is legal. Beyond that, it's a protected civil right & I swore an oath to uphold the laws & the Constitution."
    (And no, the other officers did not have to investigate, or at least did not have to contact you. They could have watched from a distance, reported no crime that they could see, & gone on their way.)

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen
    Cops might lie to citizens, but I can't see a detective exaggerating to the cops who are going to investigate.
    It has been my experience that some officers lie in their official reports, make up lies to cover their own ineptitude & lack of knowledge about the law, testilie in court... why wouldn't they lie to their co-workers any other time?

It might be kinda interesting to see what was texted. "My wife won't shut up until somebody checks out this guy open carrying a gun. Can you send somebody to check him out?"
    Oh, yeah... Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Good Job Green, Nevada Has a public records law, But Since Green is a "Party" to this action it falls under I believe NRS 179A not 239... The hardest thing to remember in these situations is to get your "Event Number" So I am not trying to play monday morning QB, But that makes a statement, When the cop turns to leave:

Me, Officer, your not going to Cite me?

Officer, No Sir Have a nice Day.

Me, Can I have My event Number please?

If you ever get arrested for open carrying etc. you will have an event number showing a pattern and practice of OCing, instead of just the one event that led to the arrest.

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    You should read all the posts, it was not Mexican carry, that appears to have been a lie perpetrated by the LEO to justify the rights violation..
    The gentleman you quoted and replied to is usually too polite to answer a post like this. I'm not. I also re-read the original post and the follow-ons. Until 1hr 12 min later, when to OP stated "It was holstered", there was no mention of how the OP was actually carrying. Even Citizen jumped in with"...lied about Mexican carry.", when method had not been clearly posted.

The cops were there responding to a call. That they informed the OC of why they were checking him out should be a plus; they apparently did not feel a need to ask him for ID or explanation.

OP: Others have posted about establishing background for your OC. Go for it; it may be useful some day.

Quote Originally Posted by DON`T TREAD ON ME View Post
    Good Job Green, Nevada Has a public records law, But Since Green is a "Party" to this action it falls under I believe NRS 179A not 239... The hardest thing to remember in these situations is to get your "Event Number" So I am not trying to play monday morning QB, But that makes a statement, When the cop turns to leave:

Me, Officer, your not going to Cite me?

Officer, No Sir Have a nice Day.

Me, Can I have My event Number please?

If you ever get arrested for open carrying etc. you will have an event number showing a pattern and practice of OCing, instead of just the one event that led to the arrest.
    That is some good info right there and should be made a sticky IMHO.

I guess I'm odd girl out here... But personally the situation makes me feel better in general about police.

With the way the world is (which is why I have a gun) I feel better that they came up, checked it out, didn't make it out into a big deal and moved on. If this were a different situation where the OP opened fire on the stands due to baby mamma drama and no one had came to check it out after the text, everyone would be outraged. They were polite, I didn't get the impression that he felt hassled about it and if he would have been a crazed lunatic who started ranting and raving something bad could have been prevented.

Trust but verify! =)

Quote Originally Posted by Savvyshamrock View Post
    I guess I'm odd girl out here... But personally the situation makes me feel better in general about police.

With the way the world is (which is why I have a gun) I feel better that they came up, checked it out, didn't make it out into a big deal and moved on. If this were a different situation where the OP opened fire on the stands due to baby mamma drama and no one had came to check it out after the text, everyone would be outraged. They were polite, I didn't get the impression that he felt hassled about it and if he would have been a crazed lunatic who started ranting and raving something bad could have been prevented.

Trust but verify! =)
    If the police were called to investigate every man/woman with a gun, based on what MIGHT happen, they wouldn't have time to work real crimes.

I'm hoping for a day when people observe a man/woman with a gun and accept it as the norm, not a potential crime scene.

People are stabbed with knives and puposely run over with cars, but the police don't investigate every person holding a knife or driving a car because they MIGHT stab or run over their baby mama.
    Last edited by FallonJeeper; 04-11-2012 at 04:14 PM.
    Hoka hey

Herr Heckler Koch
    More than one occifer is arguably a non-consensual detention, three and a dog are definitely force majeure. We have only the rights that we defend. Many citizens would not go so easily and quickly to their knees.

Trust but verify! =)
    Would you feel the same fuzzy feeling if they came and checked out every minority as well? Because some people you know are not comfy around minorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegassteve View Post
    Would you feel the same fuzzy feeling if they came and checked out every minority as well? Because some people you know are not comfy around minorities.
    You mean like the laws in AZ that were so controversial? I had no outward opinion on the topic, but I'm also the whitest white girl in any room. =)

I'm perfectly fine that people don't agree with me, but having been at Virginia Tech, I feel better that if someone speaks up that something feels wrong, that it's checked out. If I see someone poking around looking fishy, I call security or the police. My version of fishy is probably more lax than the lady in the stands, but they didn't harass the guy they only verified that everything was on the up and up.

I simply stated my perspective which is something that each and every person develops due to their own circumstances. Feel free to argue how I'm wrong, but you are as unlikely to change my mind as I am to change yours. =)

Angry

If I see someone poking around looking fishy, I call security or the police.
    Oh, yes, by all means, summon armed strangers to any situation which makes you vaguely uncomfortable. That sounds like a fantastic idea.

/sarcasm

Shame on you.

ETA: Calling the police on any person who a reasonable person would believe is not actively causing harm to life, liberty, or property or creating an imminent threat to the same should be a felony. By doing so, tragic past experience shows that you are negligently placing the subject's life in jeopardy.
    Last edited by ManInBlack; 04-11-2012 at 05:19 PM.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

You mean like the laws in AZ that were so controversial? I had no outward opinion on the topic, but I'm also the whitest white girl in any room. =)

I'm perfectly fine that people don't agree with me, but having been at Virginia Tech, I feel better that if someone speaks up that something feels wrong, that it's checked out. If I see someone poking around looking fishy, I call security or the police. My version of fishy is probably more lax than the lady in the stands, but they didn't harass the guy they only verified that everything was on the up and up.

I simply stated my perspective which is something that each and every person develops due to their own circumstances. Feel free to argue how I'm wrong, but you are as unlikely to change my mind as I am to change yours. =)
    I can understand you calling the cops if you think something is wrong but the point others are trying to make is why didn't the cops just observe. Why did they even have to make contact? The fact they even spoke to him because someone fell uncomfortable about someone doing nothing wrong is infact wrong.

If you are wearing a shirt that makes me feel uncomfortable should the cops talk to you? If I don't like what you say (1st AD) then should the cops speak to you? If I feel uncomfortable around you because you are a girl should you be harrassed? It is the problem of the person that feels uncomfortable not the person doing nothing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    Oh, yes, by all means, summon armed strangers to any situation which makes you vaguely uncomfortable. That sounds like a fantastic idea.

/sarcasm

Shame on you.
    Shame on me for protecting myself. Agreed. How dare I! In that case, why do I even need a gun??? I should be perfectly willing to overlook things that I feel are unsafe and possibly suspicious. I should be completely ignorant of people and situations that pose hazards or dangers and calmly and politely submit to being robbed, raped and killed in my own home because I shouldn't call security or police if someone is slinking around my neighborhood looking in windows. I shouldn't defend myself at all or make the areas around me safe for myself and my family.

Oh what was I thinking! Thank you for showing me the error of my ways!

Silly, huh? =)

I know lots of people on this forum think that police and government are the big meanies, and you are more than entitled to have that opinion. I don't have that opinion though. The job of the police is to protect and serve. The security that we (the people in my area) pay for is to protect our community. So heck yeah I'm going to call them when needed. Do I do it when someone is just walking down the street with their dog? No. But if I observe someone that I feel is acting in a way that needs to be checked out, heck yeah I'm calling in help. Do I think that the lady was right to be alarmed? Not really, but that's not where my threshold is. But I in no way feel that I should put my instincts on the backburner because other people don't feel that the people who are paid to protect me should be alerted when things are wrong. No shame in being aware of danger around you and knowing when you should involve others. First thing they teach you in self defense is to weigh the actions of everyone around you and listen when something feels off.

You're not "wrong" but here's how the detective's wife and your definition of suspicious differ greatly. The wife saw a gentleman with a weapon on his hip. Now whether or not she asked the husband nicely about the guy or nagged him in the "what the blankety-blank is that yahoo doing carrying a pistol" style is up for debate(not really, but yeah moving on). My guess is that she nagged him about it (because she's a detectives wife and thinks by marriage she too is wearing his badge, military officer's wives have been known to pull the same power trip) and here's why. If she would have asked him nicely, the detective would have looked back, seen the OP in his dress shirt just hanging out doing his thing, told the wife that the gentleman is well within his rights to carry that weapon in Nevada, and they both would have went back to watching the game. No harm, no foul, no crazy text messages to the office. IMO when "Delta Whiskies"(dependant wives/husbands) pull crap like that and the hubby/wife LEO decides that it's easier to cow-tow instead of being nagged to death, especially when the LEO should CLEARLY know better, they both should be brought into the supervisor's office and told to back the he77 off most rickey-tick before the LEO gets to go out looking for another job. As much as I hate to make the comparison, in the military what your dependents do reflects on you and you can/will be punished for their behavior. Maybe the standard needs to be extended to LEOs??

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    I can understand you calling the cops if you think something is wrong but the point others are trying to make is why didn't the cops just observe. Why did they even have to make contact? The fact they even spoke to him because someone fell uncomfortable about someone doing nothing wrong is infact wrong.
    To me it comes down to they didn't harass, they explained. I'd rather know what's going on than be ignorant about it. If someone reports me for something, I'd like to know about it.

To me it comes down to they didn't harass, they explained. I'd rather know what's going on than be ignorant about it. If someone reports me for something, I'd like to know about it.
    They may not have harassed the OP, but I'll bet 10 to 1 that our haplessly whipped detective got harassed plenty on the way home in the car and even more when they got into the house. I'd be willing to go even further and say that he spent the night on the couch. Let's not forget the whip cracking sounds that were made in the office the next day by all his co-workers.....

*Did I say that outloud? Yup I sure did*
    Last edited by NVCowboy; 04-11-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NVCowboy View Post
    They may not have harassed the OP, but I'll bet 10 to 1 that our haplessly whipped detective got harassed plenty on the way home in the car and even more when they got into the house. I'd be willing to go even further and say that he spent the night on the couch. Let's not forget the whip cracking sounds that were made in the office the next day by all his co-workers.....
    Stuff like this just goes to remind me that I'm the man in my relationship. =) I could totally see my husband having her reaction and taking it out on me. Good thing he's cute... =)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast