Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daughter of Spokane officer accidentally shot in leg with service weapon

Daughter of Spokane officer accidentally shot in leg with service weapon

http://www.nwcn.com/news/northwest/D...146913945.html

Cops just keep proving they should not be armed......
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    US ARMY - VFW

Sheer stupidity.

But, if there were no guns idiots would still find interesting ways to permanently harm or kill their own children. Like burning them with 'model engine fuel' trying to light a BBQ.

http://www.nwcn.com/video?id=146708995&sec=566412

Quote Originally Posted by Trap View Post
    http://www.nwcn.com/news/northwest/D...146913945.html

Cops just keep proving they should not be armed......
    Well maybe not. Remember that the "Score" is 2 - 2. In the last 7 weeks four kids have been shot with guns owned by parents. Two involved Cops and two involved plain citizens.

In all cases they were stupid but to say cops are proving they shouldn't be armed on the basis of these articles might also say that nobody should be armed.

Stupid cops, stupid citizens, what's the difference. The offenders in both cases should be punished on the basis of THEIR actions.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Stupid cops, stupid citizens, what's the difference.
    Stupid cops IS stupid citizens. Their agenda is to convince everyone that they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Well maybe not...........
    Stupid cops, stupid citizens, what's the difference. The offenders in both cases should be punished on the basis of THEIR actions.
    The difference will be that LEOs will not be charged with anything. Stupid citizens get charged, stupid LEOs get to stay stupid.
    (Oh, the "stupid" is not directed twords you Allen)
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

2 to 2?
    What is the ratio of LEO to non-Leo?
    What is the ration of LEO to only armed non-LEO?
    I would guess the LEO are still significantly outnumbered. Maybe the difference is how often someone handles loaded firearms, compounded by the contempt of the familiar.
    So for our safety we should draw, clear, & reload in as many venues as possible, right?

My answer to this, as has always been...take the mystery out of the firearm when they are as young as possible.

I would be of the opinion that not one of these children has had proper exposure to the firearm, or safety training. It is still a "mystery" to be investigated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_pro2a View Post
    Sheer stupidity.

But, if there were no guns idiots would still find interesting ways to permanently harm or kill their own children. Like burning them with 'model engine fuel' trying to light a BBQ.

http://www.nwcn.com/video?id=146708995&sec=566412
    Getting burned while lighting a BBQ is nothing to scoff about. One of my German cousins had her son burned horribly that way. He was at the neighbors, and being the curious little boy he was at the time, he stuck his nose over the edge of teh BBQ while the neighbor was butting BBQ lighter fluid on the charcoal. Enough of the vapor came out of the BBQ, and down into his clothing, that when it ignited my cousins son caught on fire too...just from the vapors. No, he did not have his nose over the edge of the BBQ when the neighbor lit it, but he was close enough that the vapors ignited. No criminal negligence on the part of the neighbor...not only the police said that, but my cousin said so also. It was an accident, pure and simple.

That was 17 years ago, and after years and years of compression bandages, plastic face masks and surgeries, my cousins boy is pretty much back to normal. You have to look carefully, and know where to look, to find any scars left.

I keep telling you guys, it's all about the "mystery" of things that get these kids in trouble...(me too, 60 years ago)
    Last edited by hermannr; 04-11-2012 at 12:46 PM.

I was thinking the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    The difference will be that LEOs will not be charged with anything. Stupid citizens get charged, stupid LEOs get to stay stupid.
    (Oh, the "stupid" is not directed twords you Allen)
    Bet there will be NO charges filed against the officer on this one either.

...kinda makes me want to become a cop just so I can be "above" the law and not accountable to it.

I'm curious as to what firearm was involved.
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    The anti-gun crowd is going to scream for more gun control laws that will only apply to and affect us non-LEO law abiding citizens and the badge polishing boot lickers will scream for LEO to be exempt from them.
    Hopefully they also try to ban wood chippers, because they kill kids too.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/17373127/s...g-wood-chipper

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    I'm curious as to what firearm was involved.
    Spokane PD are issued Glocks in .40 S&W. The officer involved, who I know personally, is asigned to the patrol division so it was likely a full sized (22) or a compact (23) but probably not a mini (27) (unless it was for off-duty/backup). Revision: Acting chief Stephens indicates SPD has some .45 ACPs. Don't know if any of those are Glocks. I do know of one SPD detective who carries a 1911.
    IAALBIAAFTDPASNIPHCBCALA
    Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out. (John Corapi, The Black Sheep Dog)
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

The Spokane Police Department will conduct an internal investigation into possible SPD policy violations by Officer O'Connell at the conclusion of the Sheriff's Office investigation.

"policy violations." Seriously? What about possible law violations?

Oh I forgot, officers are above the law.(sarcasm)
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    The Spokane Police Department will conduct an internal investigation into possible SPD policy violations by Officer O'Connell at the conclusion of the Sheriff's Office investigation.

Possible law violations are the point of the Sheriff's Office investigation. Standard practice here is the criminal investigation goes first, followed by the internal or policy investigation. Standard practice is also that one of the other agencies (in this case SO or WSP) conducts that investigation. What may be true elsewhere is not completely true in Spokane. I can name nearly 10 local LEOs that have been prosecuted here off the top of my head; I know there have been more than that. Some have been prosecuted for Assault (both felony and misdemeanor), some for DUI, one for unlawful imprisonment, one for rape, one for murder (Sheriff's deputy killed his wife and wounded himself, tried to blame it on black gang memebers).

PS - - before anyone starts throwing around lawyers being above the law, I personally tried and convicted a local (now former) lawyer for felony welfare fraud and know of several other prosecutions of members of the bar.

Stepping down off of soapbox now.
    IAALBIAAFTDPASNIPHCBCALA
    Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out. (John Corapi, The Black Sheep Dog)
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

I think you need your Starbucks....Mr."I don't know you and you've got a gun".....
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Lammo View Post
    Spokane PD are issued Glocks in .40 S&W. The officer involved, who I know personally, is asigned to the patrol division so it was likely a full sized (22) or a compact (23) but probably not a mini (27) (unless it was for off-duty/backup). Revision: Acting chief Stephens indicates SPD has some .45 ACPs. Don't know if any of those are Glocks. I do know of one SPD detective who carries a 1911.
    If it is a Glock, it would be the 3rd Glock associated with a child shooting (2 by LEO children) in the last month. Having a 5lb, trigger pull available to a young child is not a good idea.
    Live Free or Die!

Glock Trigger Safeties are a joke and essentially useless, if your finger in on the trigger it will shot not as a thumb safety nor a Grip Safety as 1911's models and Springfield's XD Series.

Another Tragic Event, it is a shame.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

If it is a Glock, it would be the 3rd Glock associated with a child shooting (2 by LEO children) in the last month. Having a 5lb, trigger pull available to a young child is not a good idea.
    Two other glock specific deaths last year too. Idaho LEO's child death, also a guy that put his glock into a warn leather holster...a piece was curled, caught the trigger and he shot himself in the leg (and bled to death before he got medical attention) as he as putting it in the holster.

Got to keep that bogger picker (or other object) off that bang switch on them there glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammo View Post
    Possible law violations are the point of the Sheriff's Office investigation. Standard practice here is the criminal investigation goes first, followed by the internal or policy investigation. Standard practice is also that one of the other agencies (in this case SO or WSP) conducts that investigation. What may be true elsewhere is not completely true in Spokane. I can name nearly 10 local LEOs that have been prosecuted here off the top of my head; I know there have been more than that. Some have been prosecuted for Assault (both felony and misdemeanor), some for DUI, one for unlawful imprisonment, one for rape, one for murder (Sheriff's deputy killed his wife and wounded himself, tried to blame it on black gang memebers).

PS - - before anyone starts throwing around lawyers being above the law, I personally tried and convicted a local (now former) lawyer for felony welfare fraud and know of several other prosecutions of members of the bar.

Stepping down off of soapbox now.
    I don't know whether to be positive or negative about all those cops being prosecuted. It's good that they're being held accountable, but at the same time rather upsetting that so many of our law enforcers are actually criminals.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    I don't know whether to be positive or negative about all those cops being prosecuted. It's good that they're being held accountable, but at the same time rather upsetting that so many of our law enforcers are actually criminals.

The percentage of cops that are crooks are a lot higher than the "civilian" ratio. And our state is still horrible at prosecuting them.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Glock Trigger Safeties are a joke and essentially useless, if your finger in on the trigger it will shot not as a thumb safety nor a Grip Safety as 1911's models and Springfield's XD Series.

Another Tragic Event, it is a shame.
    Yeah, same with revolver safeties, what a joke. You just pull the trigger and BANG. Not a thumb safety, or a grip safety, or even a trigger safety.

Each operator is issued several safeties, fist and foremost is a brain, and next is the trigger finger. Use those two properly, and you don't need an axillary mechanical safety on the firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    The percentage of cops that are crooks are a lot higher than the "civilian" ratio. And our state is still horrible at prosecuting them.
    They just have more opportunity and experience, being around crime all the time.
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_pro2a View Post
    Yeah, same with revolver safeties, what a joke. You just pull the trigger and BANG. Not a thumb safety, or a grip safety, or even a trigger safety.

Each operator is issued several safeties, fist and foremost is a brain, and next is the trigger finger. Use those two properly, and you don't need an axillary mechanical safety on the firearm.
    A revolver, with a double action trigger pull at 10 lbs. is a significant difference than a 5 lb. Glock, especially in the hands of a child.
    Live Free or Die!

Seems like

a lot of folks are taking advantage of the chance to slam law enforcement. Even the OP who started the thread is Army. There are people accidently shot in the army too. It happens no group is immune from mistakes.

It is unfair for me to come out and smear one group be it LE, military, people who live in CA, women, whatever. We are all people and people make mistakes.

In fact here is a story from a week ago, a Army solider shot and killed a Marine friend of his.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/0...police-040212/

A revolver, with a double action trigger pull at 10 lbs. is a significant difference than a 5 lb. Glock, especially in the hands of a child.
    Because a 10 year old can't pull 10 lbs?

Or because a 10yo can't cock a trigger so the revolver is SA?

Good accurized single action revolvers often have sub 3lb pulls.

Ya know, it is just much easier to blame the Glock instead of the Glock owner. I always blame the saw when I make a miscut, or the drill when the hole ends up off center.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast