• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Daughter of Spokane officer accidentally shot in leg with service weapon

Dave_pro2a

Glock Trigger Safeties are a joke and essentially useless, if your finger in on the trigger it will shot not as a thumb safety nor a Grip Safety as 1911's models and Springfield's XD Series.

Another Tragic Event, it is a shame.

Yeah, same with revolver safeties, what a joke. You just pull the trigger and BANG. Not a thumb safety, or a grip safety, or even a trigger safety.

Each operator is issued several safeties, fist and foremost is a brain, and next is the trigger finger. Use those two properly, and you don't need an axillary mechanical safety on the firearm.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Yeah, same with revolver safeties, what a joke. You just pull the trigger and BANG. Not a thumb safety, or a grip safety, or even a trigger safety.

Each operator is issued several safeties, fist and foremost is a brain, and next is the trigger finger. Use those two properly, and you don't need an axillary mechanical safety on the firearm.

A revolver, with a double action trigger pull at 10 lbs. is a significant difference than a 5 lb. Glock, especially in the hands of a child.

stargateranch

Seems like

a lot of folks are taking advantage of the chance to slam law enforcement. Even the OP who started the thread is Army. There are people accidently shot in the army too. It happens no group is immune from mistakes.

It is unfair for me to come out and smear one group be it LE, military, people who live in CA, women, whatever. We are all people and people make mistakes.

In fact here is a story from a week ago, a Army solider shot and killed a Marine friend of his.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/04/ap-marine-accidentally-shot-by-soldier-police-040212/

Dave_pro2a

A revolver, with a double action trigger pull at 10 lbs. is a significant difference than a 5 lb. Glock, especially in the hands of a child.

Because a 10 year old can't pull 10 lbs?

Or because a 10yo can't cock a trigger so the revolver is SA?

Good accurized single action revolvers often have sub 3lb pulls.

Ya know, it is just much easier to blame the Glock instead of the Glock owner. I always blame the saw when I make a miscut, or the drill when the hole ends up off center.

stargateranch

According to your logic,

Navy seals should not have guns.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ly-shoots-head-showing-gun-woman-met-bar.html

And lawyers.

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/nm-attorney-accidentally-shoots-son

And hunters.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2011/07/deputies_on_scene_of_accidenta.html

And dogs, this one is pretty funny actually.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=960&sid=18299091

My point is I can find multiple accidents for almost any group and demographic. Yes even dogs.

I can also find dozens of cases where non-leo's were not charged in shootings. Here is one.

http://www.stltoday.com/suburban-jo...cle_04a783ec-6f52-5395-a71a-a311caf9528f.html

If you hate cops just say it.

sudden valley gunner

They just have more opportunity and experience, being around crime all the time. :banana:

They have a higher abuse rate of their spouses too, does that mean its because their spouses are criminals? :p

Although that would seem like a good rationalization, it just isn't true. Police departments attract a certain type of personality and person, and the more power they get and the more they are protected the more of that type of person they will attract.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
a lot of folks are taking advantage of the chance to slam law enforcement. Even the OP who started the thread is Army. There are people accidently shot in the army too. It happens no group is immune from mistakes.

It is unfair for me to come out and smear one group be it LE, military, people who live in CA, women, whatever. We are all people and people make mistakes.
--snip--

Good time to remind folks:

Forum Rule
Any posts attacking others based upon race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender-identity, or anything other than opposition to gun rights is NOT WELCOME HERE! We reserve the right to impose immediate bans for such behavior.

stargateranch

They have a higher abuse rate of their spouses too, does that mean its because their spouses are criminals? :p

Although that would seem like a good rationalization, it just isn't true. Police departments attract a certain type of personality and person, and the more power they get and the more they are protected the more of that type of person they will attract.

That is true, law enforcement attracts some personalities more prone to be physically abusive, or to abuse alcohol and several other "types". That's why it's super important that we, or me as an officer reports the first signs of poor behavior. A lot of issues can be avoided if confronted early. It is not popular but needs to happen.

The public plays a large roll in keeping us honest too. I know I get the occasional complaint. Some of them have some merit some are absolutly out there. They do act as check yourself moment.

Lammo

Not when the revolver is cocked and now in SA mode. Every kid knows that you cock a revolver first. After all, that's what they do on all the TV shows.

Yeah, just like the cocking sounds you hear when somone draws and aims a Glock on TV. What a bunch of maroons.

stargateranch

Not when the revolver is cocked and now in SA mode. Every kid knows that you cock a revolver first. After all, that's what they do on all the TV shows.

On a side note we used to carry the H&K p7m13. Changed cause some of the femals officers lacked the hand strength to operate the squeeze cocking mechanisim. But what a great little gun.

MKEgal

BigDave said:
Glock Trigger Safeties are a joke and essentially useless, if your finger is on the trigger it will shoot not as a thumb safety nor a Grip Safety
Dave_pro2a said:
Each operator is issued several safeties, first and foremost is a brain, and next is the trigger finger.
Use those two properly, and you don't need an axillary mechanical safety on the firearm.
What he said.
For guns not properly stored which are found by children, the brain of the parent wasn't engaged.
For the one that got caught on the worn, folded holster... hmm... wonder if it felt different & he pushed it in anyway?
I think it's a case of "familiarity breeds contempt".

MKEgal

Lammo said:
just like the cocking sounds you hear when somone draws and aims a Glock on TV.
Many scenes where someone draws a pistol include a cocking sound - usually racking the slide - whether or not there's an accompanying action. I always wonder how they planned to use an unloaded pistol in an emergency.

sudden valley gunner

That is true, law enforcement attracts some personalities more prone to be physically abusive, or to abuse alcohol and several other "types". That's why it's super important that we, or me as an officer reports the first signs of poor behavior. A lot of issues can be avoided if confronted early. It is not popular but needs to happen.

The public plays a large roll in keeping us honest too. I know I get the occasional complaint. Some of them have some merit some are absolutly out there. They do act as check yourself moment.

Thank you for your honesty and your viewpoint. I am having that run around discussion here in Bellingham. Being self employed I understand some complaints are just plain bogus, others are different viewpoints that I can help customers come to a better understanding and some are valid "f' ups" on my part or someone working with me that I strive to remedy very quickly. I always say in business if you only have 10% of the people complain you are doing awesome, fortunately I have a lot better track record than that, and people like me...:lol: (well they at least like my work), there are the few you can never please though.

The problem I am seeing is that another officer validates a complaint, and if he finds it not important or wants to sweep it under the rug they throw the complaint out. Us as the public don't get to see those complaints. We don't get to determine that a pattern of bad behavior may be in place, because any pattern is tossed out as just a "civilian" with a grudge.

James Erb our public disclosure record has broken state law and withheld information and complaints about Officer Allen Bass and other personnel info that I requested. Funny thing is he wasn't smart enough to leave out the one disciplinary account that referred to the other incidents. And I know for a fact about complaints sent int not only to the PD but to city hall he decided to not include in my packet......me wonders why.