• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Daughter of Spokane officer accidentally shot in leg with service weapon

amlevin

Well maybe not. Remember that the "Score" is 2 - 2. In the last 7 weeks four kids have been shot with guns owned by parents. Two involved Cops and two involved plain citizens.

In all cases they were stupid but to say cops are proving they shouldn't be armed on the basis of these articles might also say that nobody should be armed.

Stupid cops, stupid citizens, what's the difference. The offenders in both cases should be punished on the basis of THEIR actions.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Well maybe not...........
Stupid cops, stupid citizens, what's the difference. The offenders in both cases should be punished on the basis of THEIR actions.

The difference will be that LEOs will not be charged with anything. Stupid citizens get charged, stupid LEOs get to stay stupid.
(Oh, the "stupid" is not directed twords you Allen)

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
2 to 2?
What is the ratio of LEO to non-Leo?
What is the ration of LEO to only armed non-LEO?
I would guess the LEO are still significantly outnumbered. Maybe the difference is how often someone handles loaded firearms, compounded by the contempt of the familiar.
So for our safety we should draw, clear, & reload in as many venues as possible, right?

hermannr

My answer to this, as has always been...take the mystery out of the firearm when they are as young as possible.

I would be of the opinion that not one of these children has had proper exposure to the firearm, or safety training. It is still a "mystery" to be investigated.

hermannr

Sheer stupidity.

But, if there were no guns idiots would still find interesting ways to permanently harm or kill their own children. Like burning them with 'model engine fuel' trying to light a BBQ.

http://www.nwcn.com/video?id=146708995&sec=566412

Getting burned while lighting a BBQ is nothing to scoff about. One of my German cousins had her son burned horribly that way. He was at the neighbors, and being the curious little boy he was at the time, he stuck his nose over the edge of teh BBQ while the neighbor was butting BBQ lighter fluid on the charcoal. Enough of the vapor came out of the BBQ, and down into his clothing, that when it ignited my cousins son caught on fire too...just from the vapors. No, he did not have his nose over the edge of the BBQ when the neighbor lit it, but he was close enough that the vapors ignited. No criminal negligence on the part of the neighbor...not only the police said that, but my cousin said so also. It was an accident, pure and simple.

That was 17 years ago, and after years and years of compression bandages, plastic face masks and surgeries, my cousins boy is pretty much back to normal. You have to look carefully, and know where to look, to find any scars left.

I keep telling you guys, it's all about the "mystery" of things that get these kids in trouble...(me too, 60 years ago)

Last edited:

HeesBonafide

I was thinking the same thing!

The difference will be that LEOs will not be charged with anything. Stupid citizens get charged, stupid LEOs get to stay stupid.
(Oh, the "stupid" is not directed twords you Allen)

Bet there will be NO charges filed against the officer on this one either.

...kinda makes me want to become a cop just so I can be "above" the law and not accountable to it.

Dave_pro2a

Lammo

I'm curious as to what firearm was involved.

Spokane PD are issued Glocks in .40 S&W. The officer involved, who I know personally, is asigned to the patrol division so it was likely a full sized (22) or a compact (23) but probably not a mini (27) (unless it was for off-duty/backup). Revision: Acting chief Stephens indicates SPD has some .45 ACPs. Don't know if any of those are Glocks. I do know of one SPD detective who carries a 1911.

tombrewster421

The Spokane Police Department will conduct an internal investigation into possible SPD policy violations by Officer O'Connell at the conclusion of the Sheriff's Office investigation.

"policy violations." Seriously? What about possible law violations?

Oh I forgot, officers are above the law.(sarcasm)

Lammo

The Spokane Police Department will conduct an internal investigation into possible SPD policy violations by Officer O'Connell at the conclusion of the Sheriff's Office investigation.

Possible law violations are the point of the Sheriff's Office investigation. Standard practice here is the criminal investigation goes first, followed by the internal or policy investigation. Standard practice is also that one of the other agencies (in this case SO or WSP) conducts that investigation. What may be true elsewhere is not completely true in Spokane. I can name nearly 10 local LEOs that have been prosecuted here off the top of my head; I know there have been more than that. Some have been prosecuted for Assault (both felony and misdemeanor), some for DUI, one for unlawful imprisonment, one for rape, one for murder (Sheriff's deputy killed his wife and wounded himself, tried to blame it on black gang memebers).

PS - - before anyone starts throwing around lawyers being above the law, I personally tried and convicted a local (now former) lawyer for felony welfare fraud and know of several other prosecutions of members of the bar.

Stepping down off of soapbox now.

jt59

I think you need your Starbucks....Mr."I don't know you and you've got a gun".....:D

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Spokane PD are issued Glocks in .40 S&W. The officer involved, who I know personally, is asigned to the patrol division so it was likely a full sized (22) or a compact (23) but probably not a mini (27) (unless it was for off-duty/backup). Revision: Acting chief Stephens indicates SPD has some .45 ACPs. Don't know if any of those are Glocks. I do know of one SPD detective who carries a 1911.

If it is a Glock, it would be the 3rd Glock associated with a child shooting (2 by LEO children) in the last month. Having a 5lb, trigger pull available to a young child is not a good idea.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Glock Trigger Safeties are a joke and essentially useless, if your finger in on the trigger it will shot not as a thumb safety nor a Grip Safety as 1911's models and Springfield's XD Series.

Another Tragic Event, it is a shame.

hermannr

If it is a Glock, it would be the 3rd Glock associated with a child shooting (2 by LEO children) in the last month. Having a 5lb, trigger pull available to a young child is not a good idea.

Two other glock specific deaths last year too. Idaho LEO's child death, also a guy that put his glock into a warn leather holster...a piece was curled, caught the trigger and he shot himself in the leg (and bled to death before he got medical attention) as he as putting it in the holster.

Got to keep that bogger picker (or other object) off that bang switch on them there glocks.

tombrewster421

Possible law violations are the point of the Sheriff's Office investigation. Standard practice here is the criminal investigation goes first, followed by the internal or policy investigation. Standard practice is also that one of the other agencies (in this case SO or WSP) conducts that investigation. What may be true elsewhere is not completely true in Spokane. I can name nearly 10 local LEOs that have been prosecuted here off the top of my head; I know there have been more than that. Some have been prosecuted for Assault (both felony and misdemeanor), some for DUI, one for unlawful imprisonment, one for rape, one for murder (Sheriff's deputy killed his wife and wounded himself, tried to blame it on black gang memebers).

PS - - before anyone starts throwing around lawyers being above the law, I personally tried and convicted a local (now former) lawyer for felony welfare fraud and know of several other prosecutions of members of the bar.

Stepping down off of soapbox now.

I don't know whether to be positive or negative about all those cops being prosecuted. It's good that they're being held accountable, but at the same time rather upsetting that so many of our law enforcers are actually criminals.:(

sudden valley gunner

I don't know whether to be positive or negative about all those cops being prosecuted. It's good that they're being held accountable, but at the same time rather upsetting that so many of our law enforcers are actually criminals.:(

The percentage of cops that are crooks are a lot higher than the "civilian" ratio. And our state is still horrible at prosecuting them.