Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Gun Violence and Gun Laws--Stand Your Ground?" LEO discussion at Anacortes Library

"Gun Violence and Gun Laws--Stand Your Ground?" LEO discussion at Anacortes Library

"Stand Your Ground" discussion at Anacortes Library (1220 Tenth Street 98221) on Tues, 4-17-12 at 7pm. Speaking is Skagit County Sheriff and Anacortes Police Chief. There will be a moderated Q&A to follow. I'll be there.

--
    Peace. ~G
    Carry weapon: SA XDm .40 SC + 11rd Ranger SXT 180gr

Founder's Club Member
    I don't understand. Is this another one of those citizens-ask-the-cops about the law meetings?

Why would police be giving legal advice?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoZ View Post
    "Stand Your Ground" discussion at Anacortes Library (1220 Tenth Street 98221) on Tues, 4-17-12 at 7pm. Speaking is Skagit County Sheriff and Anacortes Police Chief. There will be a moderated Q&A to follow. I'll be there.

--
    Peace. ~G

Let us know how it goes. Should be interesting.
    If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of constitutional privilege.
    --- Arkansas Supreme Court, Wilson v. State (1878)

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    I don't understand. Is this another one of those citizens-ask-the-cops about the law meetings?

Why would police be giving legal advice?
    Kind of. Basically, after the uproar with what happened in FL, people are asking too many questions. Some LEOs actually DO know the law, and care when others want to as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Where did you find out about this event?
    I'm close with the Skagit County Sheriff's Office.

--
    Peace. ~G

Thumbs up

Make sure you bring along plenty of copies of the laws on carry as well as the state supreme courts ruling on stand your ground for WA.

best of luck, i am way to far south to attend.
    +thought for the day+
    ++victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none++

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlepnier View Post
    Make sure you bring along plenty of copies of the laws on carry as well as the state supreme courts ruling on stand your ground for WA.

best of luck, i am way to far south to attend.

The people attending might love to be educated on their rights.

Skagit sheriff's department seem very well aware of OC and fairly supportive. They actually pointed me in the right direction on how to handle a situation where their hands were tied by the county council. I havn't been down there lately I wonder if they have fixed the lock box situation at the courthouse.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Where did you find out about this event?
    Because it's Deputy GuidoZ.

See Guidoz it does have a nice ring to it....lol.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

“Gun Violence and Gun Laws — Stand Your Ground?” will be the topic of Fidalgo Democrats meeting 7 p.m. Tuesday, April 17 at the Anacortes Public Library, 1220 10th St. Police Chief Bonnie Bowers and Skagit County Sheriff Will Reichardt will speak. A moderated question/comment period will follow the speakers. Democrats and progressives are welcome.

Coffee and refreshments will be available. Please bring a non-perishable food item for the food bank donation box near the door. Guemes Island Democrats who would miss the last ferry home may contact Anne Jackets at 293-0530 or annejackets@clear.net to arrange an overnight stay at her home.

For more information call Corinne Salcedo at 293-7114."

This is all I could find, I am interested in attending and have left a message with Corinne to see if it's open to the public.

Yes, I would really like to know if an open carrying conservative republican can attend!
    Didn't sound very inviting did it.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    The people attending might love to be educated on their rights.

Skagit sheriff's department seem very well aware of OC and fairly supportive. They actually pointed me in the right direction on how to handle a situation where their hands were tied by the county council. I havn't been down there lately I wonder if they have fixed the lock box situation at the courthouse.
    I was pleasantly surprised how resourceful the SCSO was when I had questions about OC/CC when I first moved to the area.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Because it's Deputy GuidoZ.

See Guidoz it does have a nice ring to it....lol.
    Sincerely a good group of people from my experience... even before this transpired! I wouldn't have pursued being a part of the dept if I didn't believe in their vision. The Mt Vernon PD has also proven to be very professional, informative, and courteous in most of my dealings (before AND after the Deputy part).

--
    Peace. ~G

Quote Originally Posted by 5918mike View Post
    “Gun Violence and Gun Laws — Stand Your Ground?” will be the topic of Fidalgo Democrats meeting 7 p.m. Tuesday, April 17 at the Anacortes Public Library, 1220 10th St. Police Chief Bonnie Bowers and Skagit County Sheriff Will Reichardt will speak. A moderated question/comment period will follow the speakers. Democrats and progressives are welcome.

Coffee and refreshments will be available. Please bring a non-perishable food item for the food bank donation box near the door. Guemes Island Democrats who would miss the last ferry home may contact Anne Jackets at 293-0530 or annejackets@clear.net to arrange an overnight stay at her home.

For more information call Corinne Salcedo at 293-7114."

This is all I could find, I am interested in attending and have left a message with Corinne to see if it's open to the public.
    Thanks for posting additional information. I've got an email out to someone at the SCSO requesting the same info (open to public). I will of course share the answer, once available.

--
    Peace. ~G

Thanks for posting additional information. I've got an email out to someone at the SCSO requesting the same info (open to public). I will of course share the answer, once available.

--
    Peace. ~G
    Almost an exact quote of what I was told: Fidalgo Democrats are a group of about 30 regulars that are “progressives”. We generally don’t have too many “R’s” attend but they are always welcome and are always given a chance to voice their position on whatever the topic might be. I got an e-mail from Corinne Salcedo, who heads our group, and she advised that she had heard from some “Tea Party” types that might attend. That is not a problem at all. Please advise your friends that they are welcome. We also encourage whoever shows up to bring a can or two of food for the food bank but that is not required of course.

I'm guessing the "Tea Party types" are individuals from here? Bringing some food would be a good gesture.

--
    Peace. ~G

I'm 90% sure I will be there! This ought to be fun.
    I'd love to be there, but a weekday evening that far away is too much.... I hope a few from OCDO attend.
    Live Free or Die!

The Mt Vernon PD has also proven to be very professional, informative, and courteous in most of my dealings (before AND after the Deputy part).

--
    Peace. ~G

Agreed. I've dealt a bit with them through my work in Mt Vernon (prosecuting for theft) and they've been friendly and most helpful.

As for the meeting I'd love to attend but work until 9pm on that day Hope it goes well for all in attendance though.

I'm 90% sure I will be there! This ought to be fun.
    As long as everyone remains respectful, I agree - it should be a good discussion. Hopefully someone will leave knowing more than they came with.

--
    Peace. ~G

Quote Originally Posted by Set View Post
    Agreed. I've dealt a bit with them through my work in Mt Vernon (prosecuting for theft) and they've been friendly and most helpful.

As for the meeting I'd love to attend but work until 9pm on that day Hope it goes well for all in attendance though.
    Welcome to OCDO! I'm in S-W quite frequently, as well as Burlington and Mt Vernon. If you want to get together for coffee or something, drop me a line. I'd also recommend joining the Sun morn OC meeting at Bakerview Starbucks to meet some others.

--
    Peace. ~G

Welcome to OCDO! I'm in S-W quite frequently, as well as Burlington and Mt Vernon. If you want to get together for coffee or something, drop me a line. I'd also recommend joining the Sun morn OC meeting at Bakerview Starbucks to meet some others.

--
    Peace. ~G
    I thought about it, but compared to most others around here (I assume) I'm fairly young. Soon 25.

As such I'm not as knowledged as everyone else yet. Though conversations sound appealing and a good learning tool I'd be a bit intimidated, not gonna lie. To date I've only carried CC. I've kept up on here regularly for the last few months, however, because OC is something quite parallel to my interests just something I've not partaken in.. yet.

I thought about it, but compared to most others around here (I assume) I'm fairly young. Soon 25.

As such I'm not as knowledged as everyone else yet. Though conversations sound appealing and a good learning tool I'd be a bit intimidated, not gonna lie. To date I've only carried CC. I've kept up on here regularly for the last few months, however, because OC is something quite parallel to my interests just something I've not partaken in.. yet.
    The only way you will get comfortable OCing is to do it. I have been doing it for just over a year and it is still not comfortable sometimes. Research the RCW's and find a day where you are doing stuff that does not cause complications, Post Office, Court House, schools and just strap it on and do your normal day. There are many stores that are indifferent to OC.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitaeus View Post
    The only way you will get comfortable OCing is to do it. I have been doing it for just over a year and it is still not comfortable sometimes. Research the RCW's and find a day where you are doing stuff that does not cause complications, Post Office, Court House, schools and just strap it on and do your normal day. There are many stores that are indifferent to OC.
    Sound advice. For the record I didn't have any apprehension, nervousness or anxiety in regards to OC. I meant the meeting up with and discussing with people who are much more learned on a subject than myself.

Anyhow, didn't mean to digress the thread here

Wowwie!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vitaeus View Post
    I know Viteaus is trying to encourage you to carry in your day to day activities, BUT!!!
    His post is thoughtlessly missleading!!!

DO NOT!!! carry to the Post Office!!! Or the Court House!!! Or the School!!!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    I know Viteaus is trying to encourage you to carry in your day to day activities, BUT!!!
    His post is thoughtlessly missleading!!!

DO NOT!!! carry to the Post Office!!! Or the Court House!!! Or the School!!!
    I'm not that naive, no worries. I think he meant pick a day where you don't go to places that cause complications (as in not allowed) and proceeded to list a few.

I'll be 35 later this year, so you're not that much of a whipper-snapper. =) Besides, I don't consider myself to be extremely knowledgeable on OC, but I;ve done my homework and feel confident enough to know when I'm not breaking the law, what my rights are, and how to handle some of the common situations I may find myself in. I frequently CC as well, as part of my job takes me to places where it is simply better to do so.

As many know, you learn things by talking to someone who knows more than you, or doing it with someone who is better at it than you. Same goes for here. Hitup one of the meet ups and just listen if you'd like. Plenty of info to learn and you'll get over any hesitations quickly. Seems like a good group of people that I've met in the area. Maybe try making it to the Anacortes meeting on Tues? Will be easy to blend in if you CC and you can listen to a few of us voice our views if you'd rather not do much talking.

--
    Peace. ~G

My nephew who is 21 used to come with us all the time, he is spending time back in California with his family right now. Our group here in Whatcom are not condescending don't care your age or your knowledge . We just like to sit around and shoot the shite, Laugh and joke we don't even talk about guns all that much....we just happen to carry openly while meeting together.

I just talked to my Sweet Baboo about attending on Tuesday. We will be there.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

what happened?

so,

Was there an outcome to the LEO discussion at the Anacortes Library?
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast