Thread: Fishing Posts?

Fishing Posts?

Call it paranoia, if you like, but sometimes when I see these new members asking for legal information on carrying, especially in posts that ask, "I know <insert patently false information>, but can I <insert hyper-specific, unusual action>?", I find myself wondering how many, if any, of these people are fishing for bad legal advice. I fully appreciate that people new to the topic will come here looking for information, often harboring inaccurate information when they arrive, and I'm delighted to help them become educated. But...

Dunno.

Anyone else ever get that feeling?

Yes. On more than one occasion, both online, and offline when someone approaches me in too-well-dressed outfit asking about OC, etc. That's when you just tell them to talk to a Gun rights lawyer, turn around, and walk away.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

If you are talking about that post that ask if OP could brandish or shoot "thugs" for playing basketball in the streets, that seemed like a perfectly legit question to me.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    If you are talking about that post that ask if OP could brandish or shoot "thugs" for playing basketball in the streets, that seemed like a perfectly legit question to me.
    I am not aware of that thread, so no, I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    I am not aware of that thread, so no, I'm not.
    I was mistaken, it was just looking for laws on loitering.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ght=basketball

I was looking for it before I posted.

But these are the type of post that you refer to? Ones that are riddled it racism or other personal bias asking for information that isn't specific to OC?
    Last edited by 09jisaac; 04-11-2012 at 11:20 AM.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    But these are the type of post that you refer to? Ones that are riddled it racism or other personal bias asking for information that isn't specific to OC?
    I'm referring to the posts I described: posts asking legal questions, particularly those that claim knowledge of false information. Sometimes when I read them I just get the feeling that someone is trying to bait us into giving bad legal advice.

My mistake, I thought you were talking about post fishing as a whole, not highly specific ones that fight perfectly into your template.

Exclamation

These are the types of new poster threads that bug me the most:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...Please-respond

Wherein the OP has made zero attempt to read the statutes, state police/attorney general FAQ's, or even some of the distilled information offered on this website, before asking "can I like, open carry a gun in X state?"

These are the people who will get themselves into trouble and make us all look bad, especially when the media starts reporting that they were a "regular" poster on OCDO...
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

Yea, that bothered me too. On the Kentucky forum at one time we had three threads of people asking if they can OC between the ages 18-21 on the front page of threads. And they weren't entitled anything cryptic, they were something along the lines of "minimum age to OC" or "OC under 21" something like that.

Well I'm sure your talking about my post. I tried to just ask questions and not state untrue laws. Yes I'm a new member and I'm not asking you to trust me, but I did put basic info on my homepage. I just have never open carried and wondered mostly about how guys loaded after parking. If asking questions hoping for answers is fishing, then I guess I'm fishing. I understand everything here is opinion and if I said something incorrect please correct me, i just want some good info From fellow gun guys.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ejmartin79 View Post
    Well I'm sure your talking about my post. I tried to just ask questions and not state untrue laws. Yes I'm a new member and I'm not asking you to trust me, but I did put basic info on my homepage. I just have never open carried and wondered mostly about how guys loaded after parking. If asking questions hoping for answers is fishing, then I guess I'm fishing. I understand everything here is opinion and if I said something incorrect please correct me, i just want some good info From fellow gun guys.
    HI! Try posting in the MI forum page. We do have a resident troll Pat, but just ignore him as the admins of this site do. I think if you read the stickies at the top of the page first most of your questions can be answered. If you still have questions start a new thread or PM me and I will help you out to the best of my ability.

PS there is an OC dinner coming up in a week in your area, these are always a good place to pick up tips and see how others are legally OCing in MI
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 04-11-2012 at 05:25 PM.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Herr Heckler Koch
    I understand everything here is opinion and if I said something incorrect please correct me, i just want some good info From fellow gun guys.
    One informant says BLACK and the other says WHITE, who is right is for you to decide by reading the citations required by OCDO Rule (5).

See, here you have an old hand saying "listen to me and don't listen to him the troll" but no one is citing anything but bald opinion.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    One informant says BLACK and the other says WHITE, who is right is for you to decide by reading the citations required by OCDO Rule (5).

See, here you have an old hand saying "listen to me and don't listen to him the troll" but no one is citing anything but bald opinion.
    I sent him to the stickies, which are full of legal citations... you see many black pots mr. Kettle,? Talk about opinion and baseless at that....flame away
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Actually, I've never seen your name before, so no I didn't mean you, specifically In the Texas forum, we get a number of them. Washington seems to get the occasional one too. I don't frequent any of the other states' forums.

Re: Fishing Posts?

Anyone getting this vibe again, recently? Just saw one by an ostensible 18 year old wanting to know if he could buy an AR-15 at a gun show. Spidey senses......

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    Anyone getting this vibe again, recently? Just saw one by an ostensible 18 year old wanting to know if he could buy an AR-15 at a gun show. Spidey senses......
    Me thinks you are suggesting its the NSA or ATF trying to get a conviction of a person responding to such a post ... am I correct?

Keep the faith !

Re: Fishing Posts?

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Me thinks you are suggesting its the NSA or ATF trying to get a conviction of a person responding to such a post ... am I correct?

Keep the faith !
    Occam's razor suggests a more mundane interpretation of my post. See if you can guess it!