• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fishing Posts?

()pen(arry

Call it paranoia, if you like, but sometimes when I see these new members asking for legal information on carrying, especially in posts that ask, "I know <insert patently false information>, but can I <insert hyper-specific, unusual action>?", I find myself wondering how many, if any, of these people are fishing for bad legal advice. I fully appreciate that people new to the topic will come here looking for information, often harboring inaccurate information when they arrive, and I'm delighted to help them become educated. But...

Dunno.

Anyone else ever get that feeling?

DrakeZ07

Yes. On more than one occasion, both online, and offline when someone approaches me in too-well-dressed outfit asking about OC, etc. That's when you just tell them to talk to a Gun rights lawyer, turn around, and walk away.

09jisaac

If you are talking about that post that ask if OP could brandish or shoot "thugs" for playing basketball in the streets, that seemed like a perfectly legit question to me.

09jisaac

Last edited:

()pen(arry

But these are the type of post that you refer to? Ones that are riddled it racism or other personal bias asking for information that isn't specific to OC?

I'm referring to the posts I described: posts asking legal questions, particularly those that claim knowledge of false information. Sometimes when I read them I just get the feeling that someone is trying to bait us into giving bad legal advice.

09jisaac

My mistake, I thought you were talking about post fishing as a whole, not highly specific ones that fight perfectly into your template.

ManInBlack

These are the types of new poster threads that bug me the most:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...oday-Question-about-Open-Carry-Please-respond

Wherein the OP has made zero attempt to read the statutes, state police/attorney general FAQ's, or even some of the distilled information offered on this website, before asking "can I like, open carry a gun in X state?"

These are the people who will get themselves into trouble and make us all look bad, especially when the media starts reporting that they were a "regular" poster on OCDO...

09jisaac

Yea, that bothered me too. On the Kentucky forum at one time we had three threads of people asking if they can OC between the ages 18-21 on the front page of threads. And they weren't entitled anything cryptic, they were something along the lines of "minimum age to OC" or "OC under 21" something like that.

ejmartin79

Well I'm sure your talking about my post. I tried to just ask questions and not state untrue laws. Yes I'm a new member and I'm not asking you to trust me, but I did put basic info on my homepage. I just have never open carried and wondered mostly about how guys loaded after parking. If asking questions hoping for answers is fishing, then I guess I'm fishing. I understand everything here is opinion and if I said something incorrect please correct me, i just want some good info From fellow gun guys.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Well I'm sure your talking about my post. I tried to just ask questions and not state untrue laws. Yes I'm a new member and I'm not asking you to trust me, but I did put basic info on my homepage. I just have never open carried and wondered mostly about how guys loaded after parking. If asking questions hoping for answers is fishing, then I guess I'm fishing. I understand everything here is opinion and if I said something incorrect please correct me, i just want some good info From fellow gun guys.

HI! Try posting in the MI forum page. We do have a resident troll Pat, but just ignore him as the admins of this site do. I think if you read the stickies at the top of the page first most of your questions can be answered. If you still have questions start a new thread or PM me and I will help you out to the best of my ability.

PS there is an OC dinner coming up in a week in your area, these are always a good place to pick up tips and see how others are legally OCing in MI :D

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

I understand everything here is opinion and if I said something incorrect please correct me, i just want some good info From fellow gun guys.
One informant says BLACK and the other says WHITE, who is right is for you to decide by reading the citations required by OCDO Rule (5).

See, here you have an old hand saying "listen to me and don't listen to him the troll" but no one is citing anything but bald opinion.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
One informant says BLACK and the other says WHITE, who is right is for you to decide by reading the citations required by OCDO Rule (5).

See, here you have an old hand saying "listen to me and don't listen to him the troll" but no one is citing anything but bald opinion.

I sent him to the stickies, which are full of legal citations... you see many black pots mr. Kettle,? Talk about opinion and baseless at that....flame away :D

()pen(arry

Actually, I've never seen your name before, so no I didn't mean you, specifically ;) In the Texas forum, we get a number of them. Washington seems to get the occasional one too. I don't frequent any of the other states' forums.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Anyone getting this vibe again, recently? Just saw one by an ostensible 18 year old wanting to know if he could buy an AR-15 at a gun show. Spidey senses......

Me thinks you are suggesting its the NSA or ATF trying to get a conviction of a person responding to such a post ... am I correct?

Keep the faith !