• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCP VS Open Carry Laws in NC

GrizzlyLee

Looking to find the legality of open carry laws vs concealed carry laws. Am I more liable if I have a CCP then I am if I do not have one?

I have heard that some violations that would be misdemeanors are now felonies if you are a CCP holder. Is this true? I am having a hard time finding any info on the specific laws that change if I decide to get a CCP.

That being said I have open carried my entire adult life. My father has open and concealed carry my entire life and I am 36 now. So if you do the math, like most people there have been times that it was more convenient for him to conceal carry; even before laws in NC made it available.

He has never had any trouble due to this. I just want to be above board with law as long as I do not give up or compromise any of my rights doing so.

Direction in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you .

spinks8824

(please corrct me if I'm wrong) I've always heard that as a CCP holder you are a "trained" citizen of the laws and circumstances surrounding CCW, so you should know better and it becomes more neglect than an "accident". So say for instance you shoot an innocent target even in self defense from a threat you are liable for that person more than a non CCP holder. There are benifits and disadvantages to each you just have to figure out what works best for you.

bc.cruiser

If you really want to know: Here is a link to Chapter 14 (Criminal Law) of the NC General Statutes.
http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/StatutesTOC.pl?Chapter=0014

Start with 14-1, 14-34, and 14-51.2-4.
Article 35, 36A, 52A, 53, 53A, 53B, 54A, 54B

Take your time and work through all of it. Then do it again. Keep at it.

This link to HB650 (aka S2011-268) will show you what was changed from the law prior to 1 Dec 2011.
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions/2011/Bills/House/PDF/H650v5.pdf

And, it is CHP for Concealed Handgun Permit.:D