• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Tech publishes final 'Weapons on Campus' regulation

half_life1052

Hmm.... do the members of the board enjoy the "good faith" immunity generally afforded Virginia Government entities? I don't think so based on the recent civil case. Negligent /fill in blank/? Can we as citizens of the state demonstrate standing on the issue BEFORE someone gets hurt?

Federal Standard for Standing taken from Lectlaw - I doubt Virginia is much different

STANDING
The legal right to initiate a lawsuit. To do so, a person must be sufficiently affected by the matter at hand, and there must be a case or controversy that can be resolved by legal action.There are three requirements for Article III standing: (1) injury in fact, which means an invasion of a legally protected interest that is (a) concrete and particularized, and (b) actual or imminent, not conjectural or hypothetical; (2) a causal relationship between the injury and the challenged conduct, which means that the injury fairly can be traced to the challenged action of the defendant, and has not resulted from the independent action of some third party not before the court; and (3) a likelihood that the injury will be redressed by a favorable decision, which means that the prospect of obtaining relief from the injury as a result of a favorable ruling is not too speculative. Lujan v. Defenders of Wildlife, 112 S. Ct. 2130, 2136 (1992) (Lujan). The party invoking federal jurisdiction bears the burden of establishing each of these elements. Id.

Test B might be arguable based on the history of shootings at schools across the country. IANAL but it seems reasonable to me.

VApatriot

Sadly I don't think theres enough 2A supportors there to make a difference?:confused:

I don't think that any number of students, be it 50 or 5,000, could get the unelected Board of Visitors to remove the regulations. They are a bunch of elitists who believe that they have a god-like ability to know what's best for all of us ignorant, irresponsible, helpless, and drunk "kids," and they will never admit that they were/are wrong by undoing what they did. In fact, we have very clearly seen them do the exact opposite. Rather than admit that their policy utterly failed in the worst way imaginable (April 16th) and change it accordingly, they have now doubled-down on the same useless mentality. Change will only come once we have a state government and governor with the stones to say that these BoVs are wrong.

Incidentally, from my experiences, I think that 2A support at colleges (at least at Tech) is actually higher than you might think. Among my personal group of close friends here, support is very high, and several regularly carry. Even among a random sampling of students, I've found plenty who readily admit to supporting allowing carry on campus. The vast majority of follow students that I've interacted with tend to have no real opinion on the matter or might have a gut reaction against campus carry. However, when these mostly un-opinionated students are questioned about the actual effectiveness of gun bans or the actual "danger" of CHP holders, they very frequently admit bans don't work and CHP holders don't really pose any threat. I think that the number of students who are actually, really anti-gun is a very small minority.

Superlite27

What we need is a decent test case with a good defense attorney. Anybody want to volunteer?

stay safe.

Now where could we find someone with experience in court proceedings concerning firearms with an extremely knowlegeable and proficient attorney?

.....I would think, out of anyone with experience, you'd rank closer to the top than many.

Just an innocent observation, skid. ;)

The Wolfhound

I wonder....

If the Virginia Tech Kendo Club and Fencing Club know they have been outlawed by this heavy handed stupidity. Most of the other martial arts organizations are in violation too. Yet another side to the idiocy.

ocholsteroc

So if I read this

correctly, the mere carrying of my flashlight that has a strobe function is a violation of the no-weapons clause.

Since the definition of "weapons" lists examples, I am presuming that anything so listed is de facto "carried for the purpose of inflicting or threatening bodily injury." Anybody care to refute that?

The people that wrote this seem to be from one of the classes of induhviduals (thanks, Dilbert) who seem incapable of understanding even the simplest of consequences of what they write.

:banghead: ad infinitum.

stay safe.

I bet that new flashlight "The torch" is a weapon, it burns objects, melts plastic with over 4100 lumens.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'm headed to Tech this week for a class. From what I understand, the most the can do is ask me to leave, correct?

"for a class" suggests you are an enrolled student, which means you can be expelled.

If this is a one-off class you can still be expelled, which probanbly would mean not being able to enroll for any future classes. If it's a class your employer is sending you to they will most likely be notified of any action taken against you.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If you are registed for a class you are a student. Maybe not a full-time one. Maybe not seeking a degree/certificate. But you are a student. If you paid money or signed up in advance you are registered.

But at least yu don't have to worry about what your boss will say about getting expelled.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Getting expelled from one university can make it difficult to get enrolled in another.

When the "rules" are threatened against an otherwise legal activity, it is IMO a form of academic blackmail/extortion.