Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about the constitutional carry rally.

Questions about the constitutional carry rally.

I have some questions about the constitutional carry rally, and I can't seem to find the information.

Is the date May 19th?

What time is it?

Where will it be? The capital building steps?

What's the expected attendance?

Will there be any speakers, if so who?

Is this going to be anything like the last gun rights rally there? I wanted to go to that one but my schedule prevented me, but I will be able to go to this one. It brings up another question though, I know this site generally discourages talk about long gun OC, but last time quite a few people did, and I'm thinking about joining them, but what kind of sling would be permissible? Obviously I wouldn't have it in my hand, but I do find over the chest tactical style slings much more comfortable, convenient, and safer than over the back slings, but could that be construed as brandishing?

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar
    Yes that's what you needed SAC (link).

As to long gun carry on a sling, remember this event is in Lansing and at least one of their judges has shown a complete disregard for the law. Instead she has ruled from emotion and political cronyism. Their police have also shown similar traits in the past.

So I see things shaking out like this: if there are 20 people in attendance, & you are the only one wearing a long gun, you maybe hassled. If all 20 have them then you will be okay most likely. Sadly politics & law are often far, far, far apart sir.
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 04-28-2012 at 07:17 PM.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    Yes that's what you needed SAC (link). I mean no disrespect to the leader of CLSD, but from what a I have seen from its leader & his oragnizational skills in the past - this will be a poorly attended event I hope he proves me wrong

As to long gun carry on a sling, remember this event is in Lansing and at least one of their judges has shown a complete disregard for the law. Instead she has ruled from emotion and political cronyism. Their police have also shown similar traits in the past.

So I see things shaking out like this: if there are 20 people in attendance, & you are the only one wearing a long gun, you maybe hassled. If all 20 have them then you will be okay most likely. Sadly politics & law are often far, far, far apart sir.
    Thanks, not to much info even at the link though. That's about what I was figuring in terms of the long gun, I just remember seeing pictures of last time where quite a few people did it, even inside the capital building it'self. I figured I'd bring it with me, and if I see other people doing it, I'll join in. Any opinion on the sling though?, any case law, opinions, or cites? Anyone else planning on attending? (long gun, or not.)

Quote Originally Posted by Small_Arms_Collector View Post
    Thanks, not to much info even at the link though. That's about what I was figuring in terms of the long gun, I just remember seeing pictures of last time where quite a few people did it, even inside the capital building it'self. I figured I'd bring it with me, and if I see other people doing it, I'll join in. Any opinion on the sling though?, any case law, opinions, or cites? Anyone else planning on attending? (long gun, or not.)
    Well as this is a legal activity - the only way to jam you up is for them to try some type of handling, transport ploy?

Since there is no case law that I can find, my bet is on slung across back as the most difficult way for LEOs to trump up a charge. Remember properly holstered only applies to pistols currently. So a scabbard would be questionable because they could say you concealed it. Having it in front leaves you open to "he was handling it." BS in my honest opinion.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Long gun carry is fine. All the local Law Enforcement are aware of OC and guns are allowed on and in the capitol. I would also us a sling and not carry it in you hands just to be safe.

Regardless of some opinions in this thread, the rally will be a good time, we will have good speakers and entertainment and you will get to meet Larry Pratt of GOA, he is a nice guy and is a no compromise gun rights activist. I will also be there and speaking as a rep for the SAM.

I hope we get a large group of pro-gun supporters to let people know we can and will stand strong on all gun rights.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    Yes that's what you needed SAC (link). I mean no disrespect to the leader of CLSD, but from what a I have seen from its leader & his oragnizational skills in the past - this will be a poorly attended event I hope he proves me wrong

Will you be coming to support gun rights?
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    Will you be coming to support gun rights?
    Barring any unforseen disasters you bet brother!

Lightbulb

Long gun carry is fine. All the local Law Enforcement are aware of OC and guns are allowed on and in the capitol. I would also us a sling and not carry it in you hands just to be safe.

Regardless of some opinions in this thread, the rally will be a good time, we will have good speakers and entertainment and you will get to meet Larry Pratt of GOA, he is a nice guy and is a no compromise gun rights activist. I will also be there and speaking as a rep for the SAM.

I hope we get a large group of pro-gun supporters to let people know we can and will stand strong on all gun rights.
    Never said it would not be a good time, simply stating what I have observed about this persons ability to put events together in the past. If John needs help I would be happy to do what I can to assist. I am sure others here would do the same

Is there actually anything against handling, or do we just have 750.234e's "...a person shall not knowingly brandish a firearm in public."
    It seems to me that prohibition of non-threatening, non-aggressive handling would trip up anyone unholstering and casing for transport as required by state law.

I have a PGO Mossberg (Michigan pistol) which I semi-regularly carry on a sling, with the grip in or near my hand and the gun tucked under my arm, and I was planning to do the same for this event. This leaves the weapon less at the ready than during some points of the unloading/reloading process, and is certainly more passive behavior.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Xanaseyr View Post
    Is there actually anything against handling, or do we just have 750.234e's "...a person shall not knowingly brandish a firearm in public."
    It seems to me that prohibition of non-threatening, non-aggressive handling would trip up anyone unholstering and casing for transport as required by state law.

I have a PGO Mossberg (Michigan pistol) which I semi-regularly carry on a sling, with the grip in or near my hand and the gun tucked under my arm, and I was planning to do the same for this event. This leaves the weapon less at the ready than during some points of the unloading/reloading process, and is certainly more passive behavior.
    Venator believes there will be no issues with LPD or the Capitol police so its a moot point.l trust his judgement.

Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 04-12-2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Xanaseyr View Post

There is no case law yet. Only an AG opinion saying that a handgun in a holster is not brandishing. Below are two pictures one from the 2010 Lansing rally and the other off the Internet. Over the shoulder carry is probably better and the ready arms, not so much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LCOC.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	8313  
    Last edited by Venator; 04-12-2012 at 02:51 PM.

There is no case law yet. Only an AG opinion saying that a handgun in a holster is not brandishing. Below are two pictures one from the 2010 Lansing rally and the other off the Internet. Over the shoulder carry is probably better and the ready arms, not so much.
    I dont know about you guys but I am not hangin with the fudds in lansing, but going shootin with the others. I will take my chance of arrest.
    Last edited by WilDChilD; 04-13-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WilDChilD View Post
    I dont know about you guys but I am not haggin with the fudds in lansing, but going shootin with the others. I will take my chance of arrest.
    Don't blame ya a bit.

Sounds like a good time. Bout time I showed my face again eh fellas?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Creamsicle View Post
    Sounds like a good time. Bout time I showed my face again eh fellas?
    Or at least your butt in the pic V posted.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post

Bronson
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NOOOOO!

Sent from my PMID701C using Tapatalk 2

So, don't carry if you're a hot chick? Guess I'm good to go.....
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    So, don't carry if you're a hot chick? Guess I'm good to go.....
    You are Waaaaaay more than good to go!.

I have some questions about the constitutional carry rally, and I can't seem to find the information.

Is the date May 19th?

What time is it?

Where will it be? The capital building steps?

What's the expected attendance?

Will there be any speakers, if so who?

Is this going to be anything like the last gun rights rally there? I wanted to go to that one but my schedule prevented me, but I will be able to go to this one. It brings up another question though, I know this site generally discourages talk about long gun OC, but last time quite a few people did, and I'm thinking about joining them, but what kind of sling would be permissible? Obviously I wouldn't have it in my hand, but I do find over the chest tactical style slings much more comfortable, convenient, and safer than over the back slings, but could that be construed as brandishing?

Please feel free to copy and distribute Flyers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flyer small.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	8316  
    Last edited by Venator; 04-13-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post

Bronson
    Ha, didn't see that. Thats actually a screenshot from the news. :-D

There's also the pic under my username taken at the same event by Bandersnatch which, by the way, is my favorite picture of me ever taken.

Here's a few more:

Large version of profile pic:

Island Lake

Canton, my 'leg holster' for my 'Michigan Pistol'

Not a screen shot. Actually a .jpg sent to me.

Anyone have the picture from the capital steps?

this one? i think its the best picture with people in it ive ever taken =)

and the militia people already plan on attending, should be 1-4 dozen of them id assume from what ive been told

Last edited by lil_freak_66; 04-18-2012 at 11:21 AM.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

I hope to make it, might need a ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast