• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions about the constitutional carry rally.

Small_Arms_Collector

I have some questions about the constitutional carry rally, and I can't seem to find the information.

Is the date May 19th?

What time is it?

Where will it be? The capital building steps?

What's the expected attendance?

Will there be any speakers, if so who?

Is this going to be anything like the last gun rights rally there? I wanted to go to that one but my schedule prevented me, but I will be able to go to this one. It brings up another question though, I know this site generally discourages talk about long gun OC, but last time quite a few people did, and I'm thinking about joining them, but what kind of sling would be permissible? Obviously I wouldn't have it in my hand, but I do find over the chest tactical style slings much more comfortable, convenient, and safer than over the back slings, but could that be construed as brandishing?

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran

Yes that's what you needed SAC (link).

As to long gun carry on a sling, remember this event is in Lansing and at least one of their judges has shown a complete disregard for the law. Instead she has ruled from emotion and political cronyism. Their police have also shown similar traits in the past.

So I see things shaking out like this: if there are 20 people in attendance, & you are the only one wearing a long gun, you maybe hassled. If all 20 have them then you will be okay most likely. Sadly politics & law are often far, far, far apart sir. :mad:

Last edited:

Small_Arms_Collector

Yes that's what you needed SAC (link). I mean no disrespect to the leader of CLSD, but from what a I have seen from its leader & his oragnizational skills in the past - this will be a poorly attended event :( I hope he proves me wrong :eek:

As to long gun carry on a sling, remember this event is in Lansing and at least one of their judges has shown a complete disregard for the law. Instead she has ruled from emotion and political cronyism. Their police have also shown similar traits in the past.

So I see things shaking out like this: if there are 20 people in attendance, & you are the only one wearing a long gun, you maybe hassled. If all 20 have them then you will be okay most likely. Sadly politics & law are often far, far, far apart sir. :mad:

Thanks, not to much info even at the link though.:( That's about what I was figuring in terms of the long gun, I just remember seeing pictures of last time where quite a few people did it, even inside the capital building it'self. I figured I'd bring it with me, and if I see other people doing it, I'll join in. Any opinion on the sling though?, any case law, opinions, or cites? Anyone else planning on attending? (long gun, or not.)

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Thanks, not to much info even at the link though.:( That's about what I was figuring in terms of the long gun, I just remember seeing pictures of last time where quite a few people did it, even inside the capital building it'self. I figured I'd bring it with me, and if I see other people doing it, I'll join in. Any opinion on the sling though?, any case law, opinions, or cites? Anyone else planning on attending? (long gun, or not.)

Well as this is a legal activity - the only way to jam you up is for them to try some type of handling, transport ploy?

Since there is no case law that I can find, my bet is on slung across back as the most difficult way for LEOs to trump up a charge. Remember properly holstered only applies to pistols currently. So a scabbard would be questionable because they could say you concealed it. Having it in front leaves you open to "he was handling it." BS in my honest opinion.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Long gun carry is fine. All the local Law Enforcement are aware of OC and guns are allowed on and in the capitol. I would also us a sling and not carry it in you hands just to be safe.

Regardless of some opinions in this thread, the rally will be a good time, we will have good speakers and entertainment and you will get to meet Larry Pratt of GOA, he is a nice guy and is a no compromise gun rights activist. I will also be there and speaking as a rep for the SAM.

I hope we get a large group of pro-gun supporters to let people know we can and will stand strong on all gun rights.

Venator

Yes that's what you needed SAC (link). I mean no disrespect to the leader of CLSD, but from what a I have seen from its leader & his oragnizational skills in the past - this will be a poorly attended event :( I hope he proves me wrong :eek:

Will you be coming to support gun rights?

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Long gun carry is fine. All the local Law Enforcement are aware of OC and guns are allowed on and in the capitol. I would also us a sling and not carry it in you hands just to be safe.

Regardless of some opinions in this thread, the rally will be a good time, we will have good speakers and entertainment and you will get to meet Larry Pratt of GOA, he is a nice guy and is a no compromise gun rights activist. I will also be there and speaking as a rep for the SAM.

I hope we get a large group of pro-gun supporters to let people know we can and will stand strong on all gun rights.

Never said it would not be a good time, simply stating what I have observed about this persons ability to put events together in the past. If John needs help I would be happy to do what I can to assist. I am sure others here would do the same :)

Xanaseyr

Is there actually anything against handling, or do we just have 750.234e's "...a person shall not knowingly brandish a firearm in public."
It seems to me that prohibition of non-threatening, non-aggressive handling would trip up anyone unholstering and casing for transport as required by state law.

I have a PGO Mossberg (Michigan pistol) which I semi-regularly carry on a sling, with the grip in or near my hand and the gun tucked under my arm, and I was planning to do the same for this event. This leaves the weapon less at the ready than during some points of the unloading/reloading process, and is certainly more passive behavior.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Is there actually anything against handling, or do we just have 750.234e's "...a person shall not knowingly brandish a firearm in public."
It seems to me that prohibition of non-threatening, non-aggressive handling would trip up anyone unholstering and casing for transport as required by state law.

I have a PGO Mossberg (Michigan pistol) which I semi-regularly carry on a sling, with the grip in or near my hand and the gun tucked under my arm, and I was planning to do the same for this event. This leaves the weapon less at the ready than during some points of the unloading/reloading process, and is certainly more passive behavior.

Venator believes there will be no issues with LPD or the Capitol police so its a moot point.l trust his judgement.

:D

Last edited:

Venator

There is no case law yet. Only an AG opinion saying that a handgun in a holster is not brandishing. Below are two pictures one from the 2010 Lansing rally and the other off the Internet. Over the shoulder carry is probably better and the ready arms, not so much.

Attachments

• LCOC.jpg
    LCOC.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

WilDChilD

There is no case law yet. Only an AG opinion saying that a handgun in a holster is not brandishing. Below are two pictures one from the 2010 Lansing rally and the other off the Internet. Over the shoulder carry is probably better and the ready arms, not so much.

I dont know about you guys but I am not hangin with the fudds in lansing, but going shootin with the others. I will take my chance of arrest.

Last edited:

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator

So, don't carry if you're a hot chick? Guess I'm good to go.....

Venator

I have some questions about the constitutional carry rally, and I can't seem to find the information.

Is the date May 19th?

What time is it?

Where will it be? The capital building steps?

What's the expected attendance?

Will there be any speakers, if so who?

Is this going to be anything like the last gun rights rally there? I wanted to go to that one but my schedule prevented me, but I will be able to go to this one. It brings up another question though, I know this site generally discourages talk about long gun OC, but last time quite a few people did, and I'm thinking about joining them, but what kind of sling would be permissible? Obviously I wouldn't have it in my hand, but I do find over the chest tactical style slings much more comfortable, convenient, and safer than over the back slings, but could that be construed as brandishing?

Please feel free to copy and distribute Flyers.

Attachments

• Flyer small.jpg
    Flyer small.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 129
Last edited: