• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is Open Carry Now Legal in State Parks??

badey

I was doing some research, but can't seem to get a definitive answer. Since the passage of the Castle Doctrine bill, is open carry legal in state parks?

I have been getting different answers from different people, and am looking for a definitive answer.

Thanks.

Curmudgeon

Although wording within the recently passed Castle Doctrine would seem to suggest that "agencies" may not longer regulate firearms, to my knowledge there has been no proof of it. The PA DCNR was contacted and is not responding.

Another interesting consideration is that it is Section 6120 of Title 18 of the PA Consolidated Satutes that deals with pre-emption, but the new wording was not added to 6120, it was added to 6109, dealing with licensing. Seems odd, eh?

Safe answer: conceal-carry only, and with your LTCF.

Ballsy answer: OC with your LTCF and be prepared to be a test case, with lots of money in reserve and an attorney on stand-by.

Feel free to contact the DCNR yourself, as well as your PA State Rep for clarification. I think I may attempt a sit-down with mine in the coming weeks.

Hope this helps. Perhaps now you can see what is behind the controversy.

P.S... Interesting thread on this very topic... http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-144/139490-open-carry-soon-legal-state-parks.html

Last edited:

badey

Thanks for the info. It seems, from the other thread, that the DCNR does not want to answer the question.

I guess it depends on whether I'm feeling safe or ballsy. Maybe I'll be a test case, but I doubt that I have the funding, although I know a good pro 2A attorney.... let's be honest though, I don't really feel like going through the hassle of being detained/arrested, and going to court, BUT, I would be very appreciative if someone who did feel like it would be a test case. :lol:

jahwarrior

I open carried late last summer and early autumn in Lackawanna State Park, and was seen, but not approached by park rangers, so take from that what you will.

gutterfalcon

I don't really know the answer, but I live by a state park. And you can hunt in it. I open carry a .22 in small game, and a .44 or a .45 in deer season.