• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AP - Senator Kevin Bryant seeks restoration of open carry rights in South Carolina

John Canuck

For some reason I was thinking that's what the NRA did, at least in part. I joined last year but was hesitant to renew out of disgust for all the solicitations they're constantly sending me. This may have just helped me decide.

Yeah, not so much. I would double dog dare the NRA to get involved and help campaign against someone who stands in the way of passing pro-gun legislation, but they wouldn't because they aren't interested in real on-the-ground gun issues as much as fund raising. I guess I'll save the $25 again this year.

John Canuck

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about this little inconvenience:

KnottsCard.jpg

JoshuaCookMBA

Greenville, South Carolina, United States
Sen. Kevin Bryant says Open Carry bill ready to be filed again! 11/13/2012

http://www.thestate.com/2012/04/10/2228898/sc-republican-wants-to-let-people.html

SNIP

SC Republican wants to let people pack openly

COLUMBIA, S.C. — A Republican senator wants residents to be able to carry a gun openly.
Sen. Kevin Bryant of Anderson introduced legislation Tuesday revising the state's concealed carry law, saying the Second Amendment doesn't use the words concealed permit.

. . .

Now that Jake Knotts was defeated by pro-gun Katrina Shealy I hope we can finally get an open carry bill passed for SC.

Please Like my FB page to drum up support in SC:

www.facebook.com/ISupportOpenCarryInSouthCarolina

carsontech

Activist Member
From the "I Support Open Carry in South Carolina" Facebook page:

"Great News! Sen. Kevin Bryant emailed me back stating that the Open Carry Bill is ready to file. Please email him a thank you and let him know that you support open carry in SC and the 2nd amendment. his email: kevin@kevinbryant.com"

hp-hobo

From the "I Support Open Carry in South Carolina" Facebook page:

"Great News! Sen. Kevin Bryant emailed me back stating that the Open Carry Bill is ready to file. Please email him a thank you and let him know that you support open carry in SC and the 2nd amendment. his email: kevin@kevinbryant.com"
The supporting information you're using as a citation is on a Facebook page that belongs to and was posted by the same person who made the statement about Sen Bryant above. Isn't that sort of like saying, "I can prove it's true because I said so"?

I'm not calling anyone a liar. But if Bryant simply reintroduces the same poorly written bill as last year we're not in much better shape. And as I've tried to explain in other places, getting rid of one anti-gun good old boy (Knotts) does not necessarily make getting pro-gun legislation passed any easier. District 35 is losing a generally pro-gun vote (Leventis) and is replacing him with a certainly anti-gun vote (McElveen).

John Canuck

It may not make it easier for pro gun bills to get passed, but if the anti-gun good ole boy prevented pro-gun bills from getting a vote in his sub-committee, getting rid of him surely makes it easier to at least get them some discussion in a sub committee. If not, then we will need to address the next problem.

Alternately, I suppose we could just throw our hands up and quit.

hp-hobo

I agree 100%. Of course that depends entirely on who takes over his position of said sub-committee and the quality of the bills (as in actual pro-gun, pro-rights content) that are presented. And I can't speak for anyone else but for me, quitting is not an option...

byrnie_mac

Open carry needs to be passed in SC soon. I get out of the Marine Corps in 2 weeks and I'll be moving down from Camp LeJeune back to Myrtle... I was stationed in VA before NC so I've been open carrying for quite some time now... I enjoy educating people on the rights we all have that most people assume is illegal...

I just with there was more we could do...