• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm scared!......are you?

M

McX

People Carrying Guns May Appear Bigger Than They Are

Researchers at the University of California, Los Angeles, asked hundreds of people to guess the size and muscularity of four men simply by looking at photos of the men's hands holding a number of easily recognizable objects: a caulking gun, an electric drill, a large saw or a handgun.

The hands of the four men in the photos were the same size and had no distinguishing features, such as tattoos or scars. Even so, the study participants consistently estimated men holding guns to be taller and stronger than men holding the other objects.

"There's nothing about the knowledge that gun powder makes lead bullets fly through the air at damage-causing speeds that should make you think that a gun-bearer is bigger or stronger, yet you do," study author Daniel Fessler, an associate professor of anthropology, said in a university new release.

"Danger really does loom large -- in our minds," he added.

The findings suggest that, like other animals, humans have an unconscious ability to gauge a potential adversary and decide whether they would win or lose a physical confrontation, the researchers said.

"We've isolated a capacity to assess threats in a simple way," study co-author Colin Holbrook, a postdoctoral scholar in anthropology, said in the news release. "Though this capacity is very efficient, it can misguide us."

The study, published Wednesday in the journal PLoS One, is part of a larger project funded by the U.S. Air Force Office of Scientific Research to learn about how people make decisions in potentially violent situations.

The findings could prove useful for law enforcement, prison guards and the military, the researchers said.

1FASTC4

I'm already a fairly big guy but when I get in bed with my wife tonight, I'm going to be carrying a gun!

jpm84092

Study Bias

The study cited may have limited value, but on first glance an experienced researcher sees obvious study design bias that all but guarantees the outcome. A caulking gun, electric drill, and electric saw are all building tools and are not generally perceived by the average individual to be weapons of deadly force. The handgun is readily recognized as being capable of allowing the use of deadly force and the mind recognizes this and attaches a "danger flag" to the observation thus resulting in the study outcome due to design bias.

Thus, the study would have had more validity if the identical hands held a handgun, a switchblade knife, a sword, and a baseball bat. Other possible candidates might include a taser, a billy club or law enforcement baton, a spear, or a razor blade box cutter.

Yellow Cat Out-

scm54449

Opt-Out Members
<snip>Thus, the study would have had more validity if the identical hands held a handgun, a switchblade knife, a sword, and a baseball bat. Other possible candidates might include a taser, a billy club or law enforcement baton, a spear, or a razor blade box cutter.

Not many people understand the impact study design has on outcomes and you make an excellent point.

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
I think their design was intentional. The intent, I believe, was to compare "non-weapons" (in quotes because we all know anything can be used as a weapon) versus weapons as an indicator of size of the person wielding it.

It would be interesting to see the same study using all the traditional weapons listed to see which ones seem to come accross as stronger or bigger people.

Last edited:

Eeyore

A caulking gun, electric drill, and electric saw are all building tools and are not generally perceived by the average individual to be weapons of deadly force.

They are also all physically larger than a handgun, making the hands holding them appear relatively smaller, where a handgun is relatively small, making the hand appear larger in comparison. They should have included some smaller objects (stapler? car keys? tennis ball?).

H

Herr Heckler Koch

There are two sources of data for validation of a new hypothesis, "convenient" and "purposeful." Purposeful data is derived from a new test written to acquire data for the hypothesis validation. Convenient data has already been acquired for some other reason/test.

The first criticism of purposeful data is of bias in testing. The first criticism of convenient data is that misses some vital nuance. Compare this test of antagonist formidability and its purposeful data with the huge conveniently existing data set of More Guns, Less Crime.

If it was easy everyone would do it.

Personally, I am a falsificationist after Karl Popper and N.N. Taleb.

Last edited:

Krusty

Who paid for this one?

I just wonder who picked up the tab on this one? All I see in this is a total waste of money, and a fast buck for someone with a PhD tacked onto his/her name. My biggest fear is that someone in government is also being paid, just to hand out more of my/our money.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

So, yes, you are scared.

Do you have any idea of the debt load a new post-doc carries, credit that he has contributed to the education establishment?