• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Owning handgun at 18?

Rudderpinne

Hey everyone, now I see it says 18 and older can own a firearm but it doesn't specify about a handgun.

My friend is turning 20 and is super jealous of my glock 19, well I have two and was considering giving him one since he cannot buy one.

I have searched and asked, and have gotten many different answers.

Some yes, some no, even asked a lawyer.

So maybe one of you smart individuals can sum it up for me?

I want to surprise my friend and help him but defiantly not going to risk any thing to do so.

Thanks in advance!

I did search maybe I missed it :banghead:

:monkey

Comm

Hey everyone, now I see it says 18 and older can own a firearm but it doesn't specify about a handgun.

My friend is turning 20 and is super jealous of my glock 19, well I have two and was considering giving him one since he cannot buy one.

I have searched and asked, and have gotten many different answers.

Some yes, some no, even asked a lawyer.

So maybe one of you smart individuals can sum it up for me?

I want to surprise my friend and help him but defiantly not going to risk any thing to do so.

Thanks in advance!

I did search maybe I missed it :banghead:

:monkey

Welcome to the Forum!

If your in the mood of "giving" it away, you can direct one my way. I've never owned a Glock, but would never turn one down if given to me. :)

In Ky if you are 18, you can own a long gun or pistol, but you CANNOT BUY till your 21.

self preservation

Just like you I have heard 18 and 21. Sorry but I cant give you a clear answer...but...I would assume that since you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun that you would also have to be 21 to carry it. But I have read that (and i cant quote the KRS) if a person under 21 is at a firing range and something that that effect then its ok. But I think that being under 21 and OC'ing is not permitted by law (but I dont know for sure) My 7 year old has a .22 handgun as well as a .410 shotgun. Of course he doesnt carry them but my point being he got guns as gifts under 21 and 2 of my guns were gifts when I was under 21. So you may be able to give him one as a gift but caution against carrying it just yet. Try google, Kentucky Revised Statutes and see what it says.

Rudderpinne

Welcome to the Forum!

If your in the mood of "giving" it away, you can direct one my way. I've never owned a Glock, but would never turn one down if given to me. :)

In Ky if you are 18, you can own a long gun or pistol, but you CANNOT BUY till your 21.

Haha he is one of those true friends, ya know. Call any time day or night and he would be there for ya!

Just like you I have heard 18 and 21. Sorry but I cant give you a clear answer...but...I would assume that since you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun that you would also have to be 21 to carry it. But I have read that (and i cant quote the KRS) if a person under 21 is at a firing range and something that that effect then its ok. But I think that being under 21 and OC'ing is not permitted by law (but I dont know for sure) My 7 year old has a .22 handgun as well as a .410 shotgun. Of course he doesnt carry them but my point being he got guns as gifts under 21 and 2 of my guns were gifts when I was under 21. So you may be able to give him one as a gift but caution against carrying it just yet. Try google, Kentucky Revised Statutes and see what it says.

Yeah thats what I'm trying to figure out!

I'm on a FD and don't want to get in any trouble haha!

flb_78

under 21 cannot buy a handgun from an FFL.

18 -21 can buy from a private individual.

18-21 cannot conceal carry a handgun

18+ can openly carry a handgun.

09jisaac

I worked hard on this thread to answer all these common questions before they arise.

Minimum age to own and carry a firearm, including a rifle, shotgun or handgun is: 18.
Minimum age to own and carry a firearm, including a rifle, shotgun or handgun is: 18.

The federal laws states that a federal firearms license holder cannot sale a rifle or shotgun (or ammo) to anyone under the age of 18 and cannot sale a handgun or ammo to be used in a handgun to anyone under 21. This does NOT mean you cannot legally own, possess, or carry any of these firearms at a younger age.

The two laws that govern minors in possession of handguns are "The youth handgun safety act" (federal) and "Possession of handgun by minor"(KRS) notice the key word here is minor. Does this pertain to people that have reached the age of majority? No, they are no longer minors.

The reason I did not specify all of this in my "Kentucky gun laws" thread was because I figured without specification it was known that their is no specification.

Laws are very simple, they usually tell you what you cannot legally do. No law against it? Then it is legal.

Rudderpinne

@Rudderpine, you can find all the info regarding the age to carry and purchase, etc, from the stickied thread at the top of the Kentucky sub-forum, here is a link; http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?99708-Kentucky-Gun-Laws

I looked through that one it only said firearm which I did not know if it was construed as long gun only.

I worked hard on this thread to answer all these common questions before they arise.

The federal laws states that a federal firearms license holder cannot sale a rifle or shotgun (or ammo) to anyone under the age of 18 and cannot sale a handgun or ammo to be used in a handgun to anyone under 21. This does NOT mean you cannot legally own, possess, or carry any of these firearms at a younger age.

The two laws that govern minors in possession of handguns are "The youth handgun safety act" (federal) and "Possession of handgun by minor"(KRS) notice the key word here is minor. Does this pertain to people that have reached the age of majority? No, they are no longer minors.

The reason I did not specify all of this in my "Kentucky gun laws" thread was because I figured without specification it was known that their is no specification.

Laws are very simple, they usually tell you what you cannot legally do. No law against it? Then it is legal.

Gotcha thank you very much!

09jisaac

I looked through that one it only said firearm which I did not know if it was construed as long gun only.

Gotcha thank you very much!

I fixed it so there is no question.

You're welcome. I took the time to research laws to keep people like you and I (most here) from being on the wrong side of the law, it would be silly for me not to answer you if you have a question about them.

self preservation

Haha he is one of those true friends, ya know. Call any time day or night and he would be there for ya!

Yeah thats what I'm trying to figure out!

I'm on a FD and don't want to get in any trouble haha!

Hope that clears it up for you.. Ps, what FD? E-town I assume. I work Winchester FD. Was just curious.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Welcome to the Forum!

Let's work on this. In Ky, you CAN purchase a long-gun, (rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader) at the age of 18 from an FFL! You CAN'T purchase a HANDGUN or HANDGUN AMMUNITION from an FFL at the age of 18.

At the age of 18 you CAN purchase a HANDGUN or HANDGUN AMMUNITION from a "private seller" meaning a friend, family, a guy you met on the street corner. The only stipulation is that individual must be from Ky and over the age of 18. You can also receive these items as a gift, which is what you plan on doing.

Here is what you do. You walk up to your friend, that you know is 18 or over and lives in Ky. You hand him his new glock, and say enjoy! It is that easy. You don't have to go through an FFL, because if you did, and had them to do a transfer, which being an FFL they have to do because of federal law (all they are doing is a background check), it would disqualify your friend from receiving the gun, and it is a waste of time.

Hope you have had your question answered.