Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Hmm, Firearms and prescription medication...

  1. #1
    Regular Member DrakeZ07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Posts
    1,107

    Question Hmm, Firearms and prescription medication...

    Hey, I just had a thought/concern, on the legality of carrying a firearm, be it openly, or concealed, while on a medical prescription, and how each of you think/know how it affects someones ability to judge between a normal, peaceful situation, or a hostile situation.

    I glanced over KRS applicable law, but haven't noticed anything barring OC'ing/CC'ing while on any given legally prescribed medication. Maybe I skipped over a vital piece of information, or maybe I didn't look hard enough, but do any of you know of, or can cite a specific KRS statue or KAS/Court ruling barring what I asked of?

    Reason being, and not that it's too personal, as I'm sure everyone deals with it occasionally; I have chronic kidney stones, and my family doctor prescribed me Generic Lora-tabs, minimal dosage 5mg, for whenever I begin to pass a stone, or the discomfort with it. I actually hate taking narcotics, and usually a Motrin, or Tylenol will suffice for occasional discomfort. But, what I'm wondering is, since I always keep the prescription bottle on me, just in case a Motrin doesn't work, does that make me susceptible to arrest, or a fine?

    I know Lora-tab's affect people differently, and as for me, I haven't noticed any hindrance of my judgement, or response times, but I doubt LEO's, and prosecutors care about the effects different people feel from medication, and would go along the lines of "he's a druggie with a gun, ZOMG ARREST AND JAIL HIM!!!!11!!1!one!"

    Thankfully, I have not had to resort to using my prescription while Open Carrying, but my concern is a possible scenario where, say, Person A was walking along his merry way, legally carrying, not breaking any laws, then suddenly feels the onset of a passing stone, unbearable pain, grabs their prescription medication to help ease it, and Person B, a by stander sees Person A taking medication, then see's their OC'ing, and calls in a MWAG.

    Sorry for rambling, my wording for posts and conversation this morning has pretty much gone out of the window. Thank gods for spell check and coffee xD.

    Has anyone been in this sort of situation in the past, or can offer advice? I have a feeling I should keep said prescription in my vehicle just in case, but I'd really like to know.

    And another note, one that doesn't pertain to me at all, but a general curiosity, and further the discussion; What about other forms of legal medical prescriptions while carrying, such as Diabetic meds, or carrying an EpiPen for allergic reactions, etc etc
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

  2. #2
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Does it say anything about your ability to drive or operate heavy machinery while on these meds? If not I do not see this being a problem.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Comm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nicholasville, KY
    Posts
    135
    Drake,
    I too have prescription meds I take daily, and never once has it hampered my ability to shoot, but I see your point. I have not heard of anything that would be against us in that manner, but I'm guessing if the meds were prescribed to you as a mental patient, then I'm guessing it would have been caught when they did a background check for your CCDW.
    Just my .02 cents worth.

  4. #4
    Regular Member DrakeZ07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    Does it say anything about your ability to drive or operate heavy machinery while on these meds? If not I do not see this being a problem.
    No, just the usual thing about taking care while driving, and don't take with alcohol, but I drink a lot of water to keep my system flushed, and have only taking it once in the two weeks since the diagnosis, so I'm sure it's out of my system by now. It doesn't make me drowsy, and as I've said in the OP, I haven't noticed, or felt, any changes to judgement or reaction times when I did take it. I know it may not seem like a problem, and I appreciate your feed back, just one of those things where I'd like to hear from others on, with cites, experience, and/or advice, ya know?
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

  5. #5
    Regular Member DrakeZ07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Comm View Post
    Drake,
    I too have prescription meds I take daily, and never once has it hampered my ability to shoot, but I see your point. I have not heard of anything that would be against us in that manner, but I'm guessing if the meds were prescribed to you as a mental patient, then I'm guessing it would have been caught when they did a background check for your CCDW.
    Just my .02 cents worth.
    Thankfully the medication isn't for a mental issue, LOL, unless, theres a mental reason that kidney stones form completely because of a mental break-down, and having stones is somehow linked to, and is a direct lead to going nuts, or being mentally defective.

    That also reminds me, it's been almost three months since I heard anything on my CCDW application, I should probably call the KSP or Sheriff and get an update on it, lol, almost forgot about it entirely, thanks for reminding me.
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

  6. #6
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    That also reminds me, it's been almost three months since I heard anything on my CCDW application, I should probably call the KSP or Sheriff and get an update on it, lol, almost forgot about it entirely, thanks for reminding me.
    Three months? That made me lose all hope that I would get mine back this month. I turned everything into the sheriff dept the 2nd of last month.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  7. #7
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,270
    RSMo 571.030.1 - Unlawful use of weapons--exceptions--penalties. (5) Has a firearm or projectile weapon readily capable of lethal use on his or her person, while he or she is intoxicated, and handles or otherwise uses such firearm or projectile weapon in either a negligent or unlawful manner or discharges such firearm or projectile weapon unless acting in self-defense;

    RSMo 571.010 - Definitions. (11) "Intoxicated", substantially impaired mental or physical capacity resulting from introduction of any substance into the body;

    http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c571.htm
    Maybe each state has similar language in their statutes.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  8. #8
    Regular Member Statesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Maybe each state has similar language in their statutes.
    I think unless you've been adjudicated by a court of law as incompetent or a danger to yourself or others, it doesn't matter what "mental" meds you are on, such as for depression or anxiety. Pain medications that carry the same weight as driving drunk behind the wheel, I would steer clear of carrying myself. I don't think there is any precedent for such a case.

  9. #9
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Ky has no law regarding this issue. There is nothing that speaks of drinking while carrying or taking legally prescribed medication and carrying. As long as you don't take more than prescribed you are ok.

    The only statute that would be remotely close to this issue is in KRS 237.110, where it states you can't get a CDWL if you have been addicted to illegal drugs in the past 3 years, or committed to a rehab program against your will within the last three years, or something like that. But as far as carrying and meds, no such statute exists.

    As for operating a vehicle with medication that warns against doing such things until you know how it affects you, you can still drive and do daily tasks, but if you appear to be under the influence because a prescribed medication made you drowsy, or loopy then you could be arrested for DWI, DUI. That is the only reason such warnings are placed on the bottles. It would be bad to pop a new medication, start driving home and kill someone, so always take a new medication at home when you are not leaving for awhile.

    And carry on!
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    Thankfully the medication isn't for a mental issue, LOL, unless, theres a mental reason that kidney stones form completely because of a mental break-down, and having stones is somehow linked to, and is a direct lead to going nuts, or being mentally defective.

    That also reminds me, it's been almost three months since I heard anything on my CCDW application, I should probably call the KSP or Sheriff and get an update on it, lol, almost forgot about it entirely, thanks for reminding me.
    I've had kidney stones, nearly went nuts. :P

  11. #11
    Regular Member DrakeZ07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    Ky has no law regarding this issue. There is nothing that speaks of drinking while carrying or taking legally prescribed medication and carrying. As long as you don't take more than prescribed you are ok.

    The only statute that would be remotely close to this issue is in KRS 237.110, where it states you can't get a CDWL if you have been addicted to illegal drugs in the past 3 years, or committed to a rehab program against your will within the last three years, or something like that. But as far as carrying and meds, no such statute exists.

    As for operating a vehicle with medication that warns against doing such things until you know how it affects you, you can still drive and do daily tasks, but if you appear to be under the influence because a prescribed medication made you drowsy, or loopy then you could be arrested for DWI, DUI. That is the only reason such warnings are placed on the bottles. It would be bad to pop a new medication, start driving home and kill someone, so always take a new medication at home when you are not leaving for awhile.

    And carry on!
    Thank you for the input Glockster, I appreciate it, was hoping it'd turn out this way with no clear path or ruling or anything like that.
    I haven't been committed, or had a DUI or anything, or deemed insane (yet, j/k).
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

  12. #12
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1
    So how did it end up going? Did you get the ccdw?

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    Ky has no law regarding this issue. There is nothing that speaks of drinking while carrying or taking legally prescribed medication and carrying. As long as you don't take more than prescribed you are ok.

    The only statute that would be remotely close to this issue is in KRS 237.110, where it states you can't get a CDWL if you have been addicted to illegal drugs in the past 3 years, or committed to a rehab program against your will within the last three years, or something like that. But as far as carrying and meds, no such statute exists.

    As for operating a vehicle with medication that warns against doing such things until you know how it affects you, you can still drive and do daily tasks, but if you appear to be under the influence because a prescribed medication made you drowsy, or loopy then you could be arrested for DWI, DUI. That is the only reason such warnings are placed on the bottles. It would be bad to pop a new medication, start driving home and kill someone, so always take a new medication at home when you are not leaving for awhile.

    And carry on!
    Doesn't KY have something about not drinking while carrying if you are in a restaurant that serves alcohol?
    KRS 244.125 - Prohib. against possession of a loaded firearm in room where alcoholic beverages are being sold by the drink. Which really sucks because what if you have to pay for your pizza at the bar section of a restaurant for pick-up, but maybe section 3 of that law makes it ok.

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    Reason being, and not that it's too personal, as I'm sure everyone deals with it occasionally; I have chronic kidney stones, and my family doctor prescribed me Generic Lora-tabs, minimal dosage 5mg
    That is the lowest dosage and should have minimal effect judgment, etc. My experience with Lortab which they seem to prefer to give me after surgery, is that if I take enough to make me in the last goofy-headed, I am too sleepy to go anywhere anyway.

    Asked various docs about it and they always told me that if it wasn't enough to make me sleepy it wasn't likely enough to impair judgment or reaction for driving, etc. Just the way it works. If 5 mg dosage still works for you there isn't much of any physical tolerance built up so I wouldn't imagine it would be impairing you in any way.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  15. #15
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1

    Prescriptions and CWP

    Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    That is the lowest dosage and should have minimal effect judgment, etc. My experience with Lortab which they seem to prefer to give me after surgery, is that if I take enough to make me in the last goofy-headed, I am too sleepy to go anywhere anyway.

    Asked various docs about it and they always told me that if it wasn't enough to make me sleepy it wasn't likely enough to impair judgment or reaction for driving, etc. Just the way it works. If 5 mg dosage still works for you there isn't much of any physical tolerance built up so I wouldn't imagine it would be impairing you in any way.
    I wanted to reply to the thread 'title'. After doing a scan of the thread, I wanted to register and comment, so hope it's not received with: "huh"?

    I am a Washington State LEO, who not only has a CWP, but hold my department Peace Officer Identification. I take prescription meds. Some, periodically for pain.

    Doing the right thing is crystal clear: If you drink, or are under the influence of prescription meds; DON'T CARRY! Duh! ..Secure your weapon at home - it's as easy as that. For example, I've had surgeries. I've had to take pain meds. I secured my weapon. Common sense.

    What about intermittent needs?

    Well, if I had a migraine say, this morning, and took a Tylenol 3: I secure my weapon. For the day. Done. (And by the way, I don't carry a weapon as part of my job. (That would change everything!)..

    What if I'm out-
    (and for me), get a migraine? ...Well, I either:

    1. Suffer, get home, secure my weapon, and then take the prescribed medication.
    2. Emergency? - Unload and secure my weapon for transport, (take the medication), and transfer it home. (Taken as prescribed, the medication is non-impairing for driving).

    It's about responsibility. It's black or white. No grey. I carry, but not when I 'ought not'. I am pleased that the question was even asked!!

    Be safe - dp

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •