• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OPED Piece: Open carry law isn’t sensible

rscottie

I thought maybe someone in this forum would like to respond to this hit piece from the Norman Paper.

http://normantranscript.com/opinion/x1165114945/Open-carry-law-isn-t-sensible

"NORMAN — Editor, The Transcript:

I am a supporter of the Second Amendment of the Constitution. However, recent judgment by our state leaders to support the open carry laws leads me to believe someone has a couple of pages stuck together.

I often wonder how common sense has become so rare that one could bottle and sell it. It’s quite apparent some leaders don’t support our law enforcement officers and their safety.

This job has enough stress without facing these John Wayne want-a-be’s every time they make a traffic stop. “Intimidation:” Do you know the meaning of the word? That’s what gangs and militias live on."

OldCurlyWolf

I thought maybe someone in this forum would like to respond to this hit piece from the Norman Paper.

http://normantranscript.com/opinion/x1165114945/Open-carry-law-isn-t-sensible

"NORMAN — Editor, The Transcript:

I am a supporter of the Second Amendment of the Constitution. However, recent judgment by our state leaders to support the open carry laws leads me to believe someone has a couple of pages stuck together.

I often wonder how common sense has become so rare that one could bottle and sell it. It’s quite apparent some leaders don’t support our law enforcement officers and their safety.

This job has enough stress without facing these John Wayne want-a-be’s every time they make a traffic stop. “Intimidation:” Do you know the meaning of the word? That’s what gangs and militias live on."

If you expect anything other than idiocy from Norman, you will always be disappointed.

:cool:

rscottie

I kept waiting for the author to put forth a reason why he believes that Open Carry is somehow more dangerous than Concealed Carry but he never got there. It was pure emotional drivel.

I have not been keeping up with what is going on in OK but found that Gem when reading about a shooting and it was listed under the Suggested Articles to check out.

MKEgal

This job has enough stress
So he's a LEO.

facing these John Wayne want-a-be’s every time they make a traffic stop
The word is "wannabe".
And again with the insults - presuming that all of us want to act like a fictional cowboy & will somehow endanger LEOs during an interaction.

“Intimidation”
So he admits that cops carry openly for intimidation.

That’s what gangs and militias live on.
More insults & generalizations.

I personally know a few seniors who have permits for weapons and they can’t hit their own toilet, much less a target.
Irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
OC /= shooting
In fact, most DGUs don't involve shooting.
Besides, is he really saying he'd prefer those infirm elderly people he vulnerable to attack?

Enough mistakes are made without adding to the problem.
What problem? What mistakes?

Must we see more lives lost because of our absence of common sense?
If people like him keep fighting these common-sense gun law reforms, yes.
But what deaths is he referring to that were caused by OC & could have been prevented by cc?

Last edited:

ManInBlack

Wow...that guy is the editor of a newspaper? That was one of the most poorly written editorials I've read in awhile. Look at this "paragraph":
I can live with the concealed weapons law. However I personally know a few seniors who have permits for weapons and they can’t hit their own toilet, much less a target.

Scary... :uhoh:

Aknazer

Wow...that guy is the editor of a newspaper? That was one of the most poorly written editorials I've read in awhile. Look at this "paragraph":

Scary... :uhoh:

I just left a comment on that page, but ya he needs to learn how to put together coherent paragraphs. That paragraph about the seniors has no bearing on the introductory sentence and is completely random. Hopefully enough people will tear apart that poorly written crap that he will slink away with his head bowed in shame.

RFrampton

I've been following what is going on in OK because when I retire from the Army we will be going to my wife's land in Cache. Being here in Colorado certainly has spoiled me because you can OC anywhere except Denver. Hope they get this fixed in the next 5 years.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

When I was in the Navy I learned the difference between a sea story and a fairy tale, one begins "once upon a time" and the other, "now this is no shiite." What is a story called that begins, "I support the 2A, BUT ..."? That's the way they all start!

MamaLiberty

Silly, hysterical generalizations and projection... All the usual. I carry both OC and CC. I'm over 65. I could so hit my toilet... but then where would I pee?

Why do we waste our time on such silly twits anyway. :)

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Barger's 'Law isn't sensible,' Opinion 11 April 2012

editor@normantranscript.com
dparker@normantranscript.com

Dear Editors,

When I was a sailor I learned the difference between a sea story and a fairy tale, one began 'once upon a time,' and the other began differently. What tale begins, "I am a supporter of the Second Amendment of the Constitution. However, ..."?

About the Second Amendment, which part of "shall not be infringed" confuses commonsensical Jim Barger? That leaders do not support law enforcement is only commonsensical given the democratic prevailing wind in government and education. Our police are no longer peace officers, but paramilitary law enforcement agents uncaring of rights.

Intimidation and gangs, yes, and paramilitary law enforcers are gangsters no different.

Good people ought to be armed as they will, with wits and Guns and the Truth. Yes, Bitter Clingers.

Herr Heckler Koch
Wisconsin

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

Don't miss this gem from the day before, Open carry laws are saddening

http://normantranscript.com/opinion/x1165114917/Open-carry-laws-are-saddening

Editor, The Transcript:

It is very saddening to continually read about our legislators pushing for “more guns on the hip” legislation.

The only, I repeat “the only,” reason the gun was invented was to kill.

Anyone who buys, steals, borrows or possesses a gun must have in their mind somewhere the plan to kill something.

Therefore, anyone who does, for whatever reason, take another person’s life should be charged with premeditated murder and suffer the consequences. Maybe we should also go back to lynch mobs mentality.

Thank you.

GENE BLACK

Norman

Aknazer

Silly, hysterical generalizations and projection... All the usual. I carry both OC and CC. I'm over 65. I could so hit my toilet... but then where would I pee?

Why do we waste our time on such silly twits anyway. :)

It's less about wasting your time on the silly twits and more about putting proper information out there for those that aren't as educated as us.