Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: a few new guy questions

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Us
    Posts
    2

    a few new guy questions

    Hello everyone, I'm 18 and almost done with school. I plan on moving out within a year and potentially getting married soon after. I consider it my duty to secure the safety of myself and my family and as such I have a g19. I want to be able to use it for protection outside my home, but I have serious reservations about being on "the list" (ccw) and also I want to be able to protect myself and family prior to being 21 anyways. I guess what I'm really wondering is where I should start and how risky carrying openly is as far as law enforcement is concerned. Thanks in advance, and God bless.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Elyria township
    Posts
    3
    I would not carry a handgun if i were you at least till you turn 21 but as for being 18 you can lawfully open carry a rifle or shotgun just make sure the gun and magazines,speed loaders, and stripper clips are unloaded when in a motor vehicle.

  3. #3
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,064
    can' t tell which state you are in so i will just give you the federal rule. you can purchase and carry a hand gun openly at 18. but you do have to go by the laws in your state. so check your laws and carry safely
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Garystarcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Canton
    Posts
    26
    In Ohio you can open carry a handgun when you are 18. However you can NOT purchase one in Ohio. I believe you have to be 21 in order to get your CCW

  5. #5
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Garystarcher View Post
    In Ohio you can open carry a handgun when you are 18. However you can NOT purchase one in Ohio. I believe you have to be 21 in order to get your CCW
    can you provide a cite for this , i can not find one?

    can someone gift one to you?

    what about private sells?
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cuyahoga County, Ohio
    Posts
    204
    2923.21 Improperly furnishing firearms to minor.

    (A) No person shall do any of the following:

    (1) Sell any firearm to a person who is under eighteen years of age;

    (2) Subject to division (B) of this section, sell any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age;

    (3) Furnish any firearm to a person who is under eighteen years of age or, subject to division (B) of this section, furnish any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age, except for lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purposes, including, but not limited to, instruction in firearms or handgun safety, care, handling, or marksmanship under the supervision or control of a responsible adult;

    (4) Sell or furnish a firearm to a person who is eighteen years of age or older if the seller or furnisher knows, or has reason to know, that the person is purchasing or receiving the firearm for the purpose of selling the firearm in violation of division (A)(1) of this section to a person who is under eighteen years of age or for the purpose of furnishing the firearm in violation of division (A)(3) of this section to a person who is under eighteen years of age;

    (5) Sell or furnish a handgun to a person who is twenty-one years of age or older if the seller or furnisher knows, or has reason to know, that the person is purchasing or receiving the handgun for the purpose of selling the handgun in violation of division (A)(2) of this section to a person who is under twenty-one years of age or for the purpose of furnishing the handgun in violation of division (A)(3) of this section to a person who is under twenty-one years of age;

    (6) Purchase or attempt to purchase any firearm with the intent to sell the firearm in violation of division (A)(1) of this section to a person who is under eighteen years of age or with the intent to furnish the firearm in violation of division (A)(3) of this section to a person who is under eighteen years of age;

    (7) Purchase or attempt to purchase any handgun with the intent to sell the handgun in violation of division (A)(2) of this section to a person who is under twenty-one years of age or with the intent to furnish the handgun in violation of division (A)(3) of this section to a person who is under twenty-one years of age.

    (B) Divisions (A)(1) and (2) of this section do not apply to the sale or furnishing of a handgun to a person eighteen years of age or older and under twenty-one years of age if the person eighteen years of age or older and under twenty-one years of age is a law enforcement officer who is properly appointed or employed as a law enforcement officer and has received firearms training approved by the Ohio peace officer training council or equivalent firearms training.

    (C) Whoever violates this section is guilty of improperly furnishing firearms to a minor, a felony of the fifth degree.
    http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.21

  7. #7
    Regular Member MyWifeSaidYes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Galloway and/or Logan, OH
    Posts
    1,006
    ORC 2923.21 needs fixed because it allows a charge of "improperly furnishing firearms to a minor" when that person is aged 18 and older. I can find several definitions of "minor" throughout the ORC stating that a minor is a person under the age of 18.

    Other facts from ORC 2923 and 18 USC 922:

    -An 18 year old can legally purchase, own and use a long gun (shotgun or rifle)
    -An 18 year old can legally possess a handgun as part of their military service
    -An 18 year old can legally possess a handgun as part of their law enforcement training and employment
    -Federal law only restricts handgun possession to people under the age of 18

    But a 18/19/20-year-old convenience store clerk can not carry a handgun, openly or concealed, for personal protection, in the state of Ohio.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

    Recoil.

  8. #8
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    DeLand, FL
    Posts
    109
    The only way 18-20 can OC/own a handgun is if they were once (or currently are) residents of another state that allowed them by some means (private sale, family gift, etc) to obtain it. I bought my first handgun at 18 via private sale in FL, and since the OC statute doesn't prohibit 18 year olds, I'm actually able to OC a handgun whereas a 20 year old Ohio resident typically couldn't.

    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

  9. #9
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    DeLand, FL
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by MyWifeSaidYes View Post
    ORC 2923.21 needs fixed because it allows a charge of "improperly furnishing firearms to a minor" when that person is aged 18 and older. I can find several definitions of "minor" throughout the ORC stating that a minor is a person under the age of 18.

    Other facts from ORC 2923 and 18 USC 922:

    -An 18 year old can legally purchase, own and use a long gun (shotgun or rifle)
    -An 18 year old can legally possess a handgun as part of their military service
    -An 18 year old can legally possess a handgun as part of their law enforcement training and employment
    -Federal law only restricts handgun possession to people under the age of 18

    But a 18/19/20-year-old convenience store clerk can not carry a handgun, openly or concealed, for personal protection, in the state of Ohio.
    So, in response to your scenario, yes 99% of the time this is true, but hypothetically if I were to move to Ohio with my firearms and become an Ohio resident I could CC as a store clerk (assuming your state allows CC w/o permit when working) and I'd only be 20. Funny how the laws work isn't it?

  10. #10
    Regular Member MyWifeSaidYes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Galloway and/or Logan, OH
    Posts
    1,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake8x7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MyWifeSaidYes
    ORC 2923.21 needs fixed because it allows a charge of "improperly furnishing firearms to a minor" when that person is aged 18 and older. I can find several definitions of "minor" throughout the ORC stating that a minor is a person under the age of 18.

    Other facts from ORC 2923 and 18 USC 922:

    -An 18 year old can legally purchase, own and use a long gun (shotgun or rifle)
    -An 18 year old can legally possess a handgun as part of their military service
    -An 18 year old can legally possess a handgun as part of their law enforcement training and employment
    -Federal law only restricts handgun possession to people under the age of 18

    But a 18/19/20-year-old convenience store clerk can not carry a handgun, openly or concealed, for personal protection, in the state of Ohio.
    So, in response to your scenario, yes 99% of the time this is true, but hypothetically if I were to move to Ohio with my firearms and become an Ohio resident I could CC as a store clerk (assuming your state allows CC w/o permit when working) and I'd only be 20. Funny how the laws work isn't it?
    Bad assumption.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

    Recoil.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •