• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

a few new guy questions

dmt2012

Hello everyone, I'm 18 and almost done with school. I plan on moving out within a year and potentially getting married soon after. I consider it my duty to secure the safety of myself and my family and as such I have a g19. I want to be able to use it for protection outside my home, but I have serious reservations about being on "the list" (ccw) and also I want to be able to protect myself and family prior to being 21 anyways. I guess what I'm really wondering is where I should start and how risky carrying openly is as far as law enforcement is concerned. Thanks in advance, and God bless.

knightowl

I would not carry a handgun if i were you at least till you turn 21 but as for being 18 you can lawfully open carry a rifle or shotgun just make sure the gun and magazines,speed loaders, and stripper clips are unloaded when in a motor vehicle.

papa bear

can' t tell which state you are in so i will just give you the federal rule. you can purchase and carry a hand gun openly at 18. but you do have to go by the laws in your state. so check your laws and carry safely

Garystarcher

In Ohio you can open carry a handgun when you are 18. However you can NOT purchase one in Ohio. I believe you have to be 21 in order to get your CCW

papa bear

In Ohio you can open carry a handgun when you are 18. However you can NOT purchase one in Ohio. I believe you have to be 21 in order to get your CCW

can you provide a cite for this , i can not find one?

can someone gift one to you?

what about private sells?

RT48

2923.21 Improperly furnishing firearms to minor.

(A) No person shall do any of the following:

(1) Sell any firearm to a person who is under eighteen years of age;

(2) Subject to division (B) of this section, sell any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age;

(3) Furnish any firearm to a person who is under eighteen years of age or, subject to division (B) of this section, furnish any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age, except for lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purposes, including, but not limited to, instruction in firearms or handgun safety, care, handling, or marksmanship under the supervision or control of a responsible adult;

(4) Sell or furnish a firearm to a person who is eighteen years of age or older if the seller or furnisher knows, or has reason to know, that the person is purchasing or receiving the firearm for the purpose of selling the firearm in violation of division (A)(1) of this section to a person who is under eighteen years of age or for the purpose of furnishing the firearm in violation of division (A)(3) of this section to a person who is under eighteen years of age;

(5) Sell or furnish a handgun to a person who is twenty-one years of age or older if the seller or furnisher knows, or has reason to know, that the person is purchasing or receiving the handgun for the purpose of selling the handgun in violation of division (A)(2) of this section to a person who is under twenty-one years of age or for the purpose of furnishing the handgun in violation of division (A)(3) of this section to a person who is under twenty-one years of age;

(6) Purchase or attempt to purchase any firearm with the intent to sell the firearm in violation of division (A)(1) of this section to a person who is under eighteen years of age or with the intent to furnish the firearm in violation of division (A)(3) of this section to a person who is under eighteen years of age;

(7) Purchase or attempt to purchase any handgun with the intent to sell the handgun in violation of division (A)(2) of this section to a person who is under twenty-one years of age or with the intent to furnish the handgun in violation of division (A)(3) of this section to a person who is under twenty-one years of age.

(B) Divisions (A)(1) and (2) of this section do not apply to the sale or furnishing of a handgun to a person eighteen years of age or older and under twenty-one years of age if the person eighteen years of age or older and under twenty-one years of age is a law enforcement officer who is properly appointed or employed as a law enforcement officer and has received firearms training approved by the Ohio peace officer training council or equivalent firearms training.

(C) Whoever violates this section is guilty of improperly furnishing firearms to a minor, a felony of the fifth degree.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.21

MyWifeSaidYes

ORC 2923.21 needs fixed because it allows a charge of "improperly furnishing firearms to a minor" when that person is aged 18 and older. I can find several definitions of "minor" throughout the ORC stating that a minor is a person under the age of 18.

Other facts from ORC 2923 and 18 USC 922:

-An 18 year old can legally purchase, own and use a long gun (shotgun or rifle)
-An 18 year old can legally possess a handgun as part of their military service
-An 18 year old can legally possess a handgun as part of their law enforcement training and employment
-Federal law only restricts handgun possession to people under the age of 18

But a 18/19/20-year-old convenience store clerk can not carry a handgun, openly or concealed, for personal protection, in the state of Ohio.

Jake8x7

Activist Member
The only way 18-20 can OC/own a handgun is if they were once (or currently are) residents of another state that allowed them by some means (private sale, family gift, etc) to obtain it. I bought my first handgun at 18 via private sale in FL, and since the OC statute doesn't prohibit 18 year olds, I'm actually able to OC a handgun whereas a 20 year old Ohio resident typically couldn't.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Jake8x7

Activist Member
ORC 2923.21 needs fixed because it allows a charge of "improperly furnishing firearms to a minor" when that person is aged 18 and older. I can find several definitions of "minor" throughout the ORC stating that a minor is a person under the age of 18.

-An 18 year old can legally possess a handgun as part of their law enforcement training and employment

But a 18/19/20-year-old convenience store clerk can not carry a handgun, openly or concealed, for personal protection, in the state of Ohio.

So, in response to your scenario, yes 99% of the time this is true, but hypothetically if I were to move to Ohio with my firearms and become an Ohio resident I could CC as a store clerk (assuming your state allows CC w/o permit when working) and I'd only be 20. Funny how the laws work isn't it?

MyWifeSaidYes

MyWifeSaidYes said:

But a 18/19/20-year-old convenience store clerk can not carry a handgun, openly or concealed, for personal protection, in the state of Ohio.​

So, in response to your scenario, yes 99% of the time this is true, but hypothetically if I were to move to Ohio with my firearms and become an Ohio resident I could CC as a store clerk (assuming your state allows CC w/o permit when working) and I'd only be 20. Funny how the laws work isn't it?

Bad assumption.