• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Disturbing Trends and serious threats

stickslinger

Yeah OK, off topic I know. Reminds of Culpeper somewhat.

But seriously...

"Eight Los Angeles police officers fired more than 90 rounds at an unarmed 19-year-old man who had led them on a high speed freeway pursuit and called 911 to threaten them with a gun, authorities said."

The guy obviously noted he hated cops, but hurl 90 rounds at the guy unarmed running backwards?

Jeebus....Really?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/04/police-90-rounds-101-freeway.html

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I think focusing on 90 rounds and whether he was armed is falling for a red-herring by news media who have no knowledge about how to evaluate these situations.

For damn sure the lamestream media never evaluates these things using AOJ/I (Ability, Opportunity, Jeopardy/Intent).

The critical point to me is why the cops fired at all? He made a gesture consistent with point a gun? So, what? He made a bunch of threats. So, what? They're behind cover, presumably. Who knows what he's pointing? How close were the cops? Do they have poor eyesight that prevents them seeing whether he's empty-handed? Ensconced behind cover, I'm not going to shoot until I'm damned sure there's a lethal threat. You get my point. I want more details. About the things that count. Whether the deceased was unarmed seems much less important to me than whether the cops were close enough to see whether his hands were empty. All those little details that add up to whether it was really reasonable to shoot.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Freshman psychology demonstration of hysteria is for the lecturer to yawn very ostentatiously near the end of the boring lecture on hysteria and then have the class note how many hysterical yawns occur in the next minute or two.