• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Missouri Laws on Open Carry????

trxmstr

Idk if this is already in a thread or not (didnt look too hard) but i just purchased a Sig Sauer P220 DAK and i am not familiar with the oc law in st. joe or even missouri. is it legal? if so, if i get stopped am i required to show id for not committing a crime?

Thanks in advanced.

Firedawg314

Thats the wild thing here in Missouri, each country and city have their own rules on opencarry. Honestly, you would have to visit or if online, pull up their ordances on weapons that you will travel to or even visit. Some counties require a CCW I.D. like Florissant and Hazelwood. Some counties only require you be legal age to carry it. And some cities like; ST. Louis, Mapelwood, Maryland Heights, etc., if you opencarry there, regardless the issue, you go stright to jail!

Be careful.

chakragod

Short answer:

Missouri - Legal

St. Joseph - Legal

And personally, I would never produce ID unless they told me I was being detained.

cshoff

Missouri weapons laws can be found here: http://www.moga.mo.gov/STATUTES/C571.HTM

There are no state laws against open carry, though there are a number of places specified by statute where you MAY NOT carry any firearm (unless you have a valid CCW endorsement).

As was mentioned above, local jurisdictions in Missouri CAN restrict/prohibit/regulate open carry via local ordinances, and some do. You will need to do your homework in the areas where you plan to carry before you dive in.