• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New guy here. Please I hope someone can answer this for me lol

JamesB

Unloaded because... some how, the act of getting on a bus automatically makes the bearer apt to go bats and/or the gun becomes animated and shoots itself. Or that criminals would never think to delight in a bus full of unarmed victims...

Or, what exactly was the thinking here?

Oh wait... the people who make up this **** don't think at all. I forgot for a moment...

Hell people don't even have to get on the bus to go crazy...just walking through a park n ride parking lot will make you do it...apearently...

Keens

Actually, public transport is ok if unloaded...

18-9-118. Firearms, explosives, or incendiary devices in facilities of public transportation.

A person commits a class 6 felony if, without legal authority, he has any loaded firearm or explosive or incendiary device, as defined in section 9-7-103, C.R.S., in his possession in, or carries, brings, or causes to be carried or brought any of such items into, any facility of public transportation, as defined in section 18-9-115 (4).

18-9-115. Endangering public transportation.
(4) "Facility of public transportation" includes a public conveyance and any area, structure, or device which is designed, adapted, and used to support, guide, control, permit, or facilitate the movement, starting, stopping, takeoff, landing, or servicing of a public conveyance or the loading or unloading of passengers or goods.

other more pertinant information may be obtained here:
http://www.rmgo.org/gun-law-faqs/open-carry

Never thought this would apply to elevators or escalators. That's just silly us OC'ers have to take the stairs or face felony charges. I smoke and got arthritis in my legs, some days I can't do more than 2 flights of stairs. Now I gotta use that dumbermint "permission" card and cover up Ms. Smith to ride public moving conveyances. :banghead:

ManInBlack

18-9-118. Firearms, explosives, or incendiary devices in facilities of public transportation.

A person commits a class 6 felony if, without legal authority, he has any loaded firearm or explosive or incendiary device, as defined in section 9-7-103, C.R.S., in his possession in, or carries, brings, or causes to be carried or brought any of such items into, any facility of public transportation, as defined in section 18-9-115 (4).

(4) "Facility of public transportation" includes a public conveyance and any area, structure, or device which is designed, adapted, and used to support, guide, control, permit, or facilitate the movement, starting, stopping, takeoff, landing, or servicing of a public conveyance or the loading or unloading of passengers or goods.

What a god-awful statute. Would this include public staircases? How about handicap ramps?

Seems like a good law for a bad cop to take advantage of...

since9

Campaign Veteran

I think I'll write the state legislature about this, as this requirement is needless, even foolishly dangerous. Essentially, it's saying that anytime I desire to use public transportation of any kind, including an escalator or elevator, I just stop, unload, use the conveyance, and then reload afterwards. For what purpose? Accidental discharge while riding the escalator? My firearm is far more likely to accidentally discharge while loading/unloading it than it would if it remains loaded while I take the escalator.

Here's a possible rewrite: "18-9-118. Firearms, explosives, or incendiary devices in facilities of public transportation. This section is rescinded because it was stupid."

I really dislike RMGO's ongoing claim that Open Carry "is quite complicated." It is NOT complicated. There are a few simple rules which, if followed, will keep you on this side of the law 100% of the time, yet instead of providing a summary, they list the C.R.S. en toto as if all that verbosity will somehow clarify the matter. It doesn't.