• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The very weak "Affidavit of probable cause" in the George Zimmerman case John R. Lott

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Proving again that you may beat the rap but you will not beat the ride. Enforcement must suffer commensurately with a falsely arrested and charged citizen.

Beretta92FSLady

Think of the affidavit as a gooified document of BS that the prosecutor initially throws at the judge to see if it sticks.

I was kinda thinking that Zimmerman would be released in the dead-of-night by the judge. Has anyone checked the papers this morning to see? Because this case is Nationally charged in politics, and the media, some of what we are seeing may be smoke-and-mirrors.

A little bit from Zimmerman's lawyer:

"The lawyer for George Zimmerman, charged with murder in the death of unarmed black teen Trayvon Martin, said that the teenager's death "weighs on" Zimmerman and suggested his client might apologize to Martin's family."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/zimmerman-...harges-trayvon/story?id=16123136#.T4gusfnYCSo

Last edited:

markand

Almost like they're charging him knowing they can't win. Or don't want to.

Beretta92FSLady

Last edited:

Brion

I think it's sad what all is going on here.

I can't imagine what would happen to this man should a verdict of "not guilty" be made. With the threats out there against this man, I would fear for his life, as well as every member of the jury, the defense attorney, and possibly the judge.

jbone

Good God! Did she call MSNBC and ask them to write this for her, worse it worked.

paramedic70002

So a sworn affidavit says Zimmerman falsely assumed Martin was going to commit a crime. What are those investigators, mediums? Did they talk to martin from the other side to determine he was not a criminal?

Eeyore

Almost like they're charging him knowing they can't win. Or don't want to.

That thought occurred to me also. Like you, I don't have any special knowledge of the facts of this case, so I make no presumption about whether a crime actually occurred. Zimmerman may or may not be an overzealous nut job. Martin may be Momma's Little Angel or he may be a Thug Wannabe. Or none of the above. I pass no judgment on either because I have no way of knowing. (Neither do the media, but that doesn't stop them.)

Anyway, put yourself in the prosecutor's place. The logic might go something like this:

1. We don't have the evidence to charge Zimmerman with a crime.
2. The public will tar & feather us if we don't charge him.

SOLUTION: Let's over-charge him with Murder 2. This will sate the demand of the mobs and media (string him up!), but stand no chance of actually succeeding in court. Zimmerman goes free, the mob is off our backs, and the media will move on the the next invented outrage. Is this ethical? Of course not, but who cares? We're lawyers!

j4l

I still say, even if we arent giving Corey entirely too much credit for having a brain between her ears, if this DOES actually go-through to a trial, what chances does this guy have of even a slightly impartial jury?
And, then, if such a jury does end up convicting.. heck of a gamble to play with this man's life.
The savages will have fits/tantrums and riots either way- not arrested at all/tried and not-convicted..it's a short-term, calm the masses sollution, at best.

OC for ME

Z's lawyer: Mr. Z, did you fear for your life?
Mr. Z: Yes I did.
PA: I object, leading question.

On cross...
PA: Mr. Z, did you fear for your life?
Mr. Z: Yes, I did.
PA: No, you did not.
PA: did not.
Mr. Z: did.
Z's lawyer: I object, badgering.

TechnoWeenie

Z's lawyer: Mr. Z, did you fear for your life?
Mr. Z: Yes I did.
PA: I object, leading question.

On cross...
PA: Mr. Z, did you fear for your life?
PA: No, you did not.