• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"no guns allowed" Try/how to educate or just forget about it?

self preservation

I want to see what you all think. I have read a lot on here about OC'ers being ask to leave a businesses because they were OC'ing. My position on this is that I realize that a business has a right to do so, but I still think its BS. And I would respect their rights even though they are refusing to respect mine. Before I go any further I would like to add (knock on wood) that I have never been ask to leave anywhere before because I was OC'ing. But I have often wanted to talk to business owners and see why they placed a "robbers welcome" sign on their business. I would rather do this before an issue comes up instead of after an incident has happened. But the hang up I am facing is if the owner asked "who in the F are you". I dont know if I would have an answer other than a law abiding citizen that doesnt feel safe being disarmed at the door. And before anyone says "just go shop elsewhere" I would like to point out that I live in a small town wthout many shopping choices to begin with. Plus there may come a day when all businesses are like this and would leave us with no choice but to do business there. If I were able to ask speak with them I would have the attitude of not arguing, debating or coming of like a nut job. But simply to learn why they take the "no guns allowed" stance and have high hopes that they may see that this rule exsist based on ignorance and fear. Would I be out of line for wanting such a conversation with the Owner/Manager/President,etc? Or do I just need to accept it for what it is and move on?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
From experience, your best bet is to go talk to them shortly after they have been robbed at gunpoint or had someone shoot up the place.

Otherwise, you are going up against "I feel ..." which is an undefeatable position. It matters not how much logic you use or how many facts you present, the issue is all about how they "feel".

Picketing them is a losing proposition. Boycotting them may make you feel good but most likely will have no impact on their bottom line.

I know all this sounds defeatist. It may in fact be so. But there are just some windmills that take up too much energy for too little return. Instead, I'd rather concentrate my energies of keeping the .gov straight and restoring some of the rights that have been infringed on for too long.

YMMV.

stay safe.

fjpro2a

One step at a time

In my opinion, your idea is very good. I would try to get to know the owners who have "no guns allowed" signs first. Maybe run into them around town, strike up a conversation, talk about various things, and then bring up guns in general at an appropriate time. This way, it doesn't look confrontational. Invite them to an OC breakfast or an OC gathering. Slowly, you may be able to persuade the person to see the other side. But, in my humble opinion, it has to be V E R Y S L O W L Y. I come from NJ (don't laugh,) and my anti-2nd amendment position changed over the years in this way. Just thinking about an issue like this speaks volumes about you. Keep up the good work, and let us know about your experiences on this. By the way, although I have as much respect for Skidmark as anyone, why wait for a place to be robbed? What happens if it is never robbed? Also, the "I feel" issue is something that will always be around, so why not tackle it gingerly?

self preservation

Both of you make good points. And I if I did the approach of talking to them when I ran into them on the streets then it would have to be very slow...because I never see them outside of work. I just hear people say "get off your ass and do something" Just curious how the best way is to go about that.

flb_78

Luckily, this is Kentucky and there are very few anti-gun places. I have only once been asked to not bring my pistol in once in 2 years of carrying.

Statesman

I came up with a document for those stores who ask you to leave if you're carrying a firearm. Ask that you speak to a manager first, if possible, and/or give this document to the manager himself. The document is meant to be short and to the point.

Attachments

• Business_OC.CC_v1.0.pdf
    90.2 KB · Views: 150

self preservation

Small towns have only a few businesses, but they also have only a few customers. The best answer to "Who the f--- are you?" is "I am one of your customers, one of the people who supports your business and helps feed your family and I have lots of friends in this town who like the same things I like and do the same things I do". I live in a small town and have very few problems with "No guns allowed" signs. My bank had some and I politely complained about it and they took them down. They originally thought it was a good idea, but quickly found out it was a poor business decision. You, and the rest of us, can get by without small town businesses much better than they can get along without us. The worst thing for a small town businessman to hear is, "I'm going out of town to shop."

I guess you're right. I am the customer..I want to fight to retain our rights but I dont want to come across as a F head and give gun owners a bad name. I would never try to strong arm a place (unless the nice approach has failed and they are clearly in the wrong and refuse to change. Example: KRS 65.870) I was want to make sure they understand that I'm trying to educate and not bully. Thanks for the sound advice.

self preservation

I came up with a document for those stores who ask you to leave if you're carrying a firearm. Ask that you speak to a manager first, if possible, and/or give this document to the manager himself. The document is meant to be short and to the point.

Thanks for that awesome paper.. It says it all and I do plan to use this at a few local businesses. We'll see how it goes.