• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Public Building Partially Containing a Court

USNA69

I have searched for, but cannot find the post which cited a court case addressing the situation of access to a public building in Virgina, which contains a court, as well as other public services.

Can anyone cite this case?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
From my private collection of stickies, because it comes up fairly regularly"

http://www.virginia1774.org/CourthouseArea.html

Just try and get the bailiff to understand what it means, let alone convince the presiding judge that his/her rule meeds to be changed to come into conformity with this ruling.

But there is nothing that I know of that prevents you from sending a copy to the judge. *How often you do that depends on your postage budget.:D)

stay safe.

cyras21

If the Sheriff's office was located inside a building that housed court rooms etc, would we then be allowed to carry to conduct business with the Sheriff?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If the Sheriff's office was located inside a building that housed court rooms etc, would we then be allowed to carry to conduct business with the Sheriff?

It all depends on a number of factors. Is there a separate entrance? Is that entrance separated from where prisoners are brought in/out? Is the area physically separated from the area where court functions take place (no pass-through between Sheriff's office and courthouse)? How does the chief judge feel about it even if there is a separate entrance that is not considered a restricted area?*

stay safe.

*Until someone can force judges to accept the Court of Appeals ruling, that is always going to be an issue.

cyras21

It all depends on a number of factors. Is there a separate entrance? Is that entrance separated from where prisoners are brought in/out? Is the area physically separated from the area where court functions take place (no pass-through between Sheriff's office and courthouse)? How does the chief judge feel about it even if there is a separate entrance that is not considered a restricted area?*

stay safe.

*Until someone can force judges to accept the Court of Appeals ruling, that is always going to be an issue.

No separate entrance for Sheriff and Courthouse. All courtrooms are upstairs while the Sheriff is on the first foor first door on right. There is a separate entrance for prisoners. It is possible for the checkpoint to be placed in a manner to allow entry to the Sheriff and not the rest of the building. They use a mobil metal detector and those stretch barriers you see at in the airport.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
What?!!? Are you telling us that the local Sheriff and judge either know the [case] law or just figured out what would be logical?:shocker:

stay safe.