• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry Story- Reiterating, things happen everywhere

Motofixxer

I stopped in a local cell phone store last night. I was talking to a salesman for about 10-15 min. We walk to the computer to finish the transaction. He then asks me "whats the gun for". I simply said...self defense. He gave a head nod and raised his eyebrows as if saying, awe yea good reason. So then he says yea just earlier today a guy came running in the store yelling "call 911". The salesman is like why would I call...(he didn't see anything going on) he said just grab a phone and call. Then a lady comes running in after and starts beating on the guy with some kind of chain and pipe thing... The employees start yelling at them to leave and calling 911.

Hmm who knew you needed to protect yourself or someone else at a cell phone store??? :uhoh:

MKEgal

...earlier today a guy came running in the store yelling "call 911".
The salesman is like why would I call...
:banghead: Idiot.

One time I was on the back of my then-boyfriend's motorcycle (stopped in a parking lot) & noticed it spraying oil on our left legs/boots, so I leaned forward & told him to kill the engine.
He asked why.
Just kill the engine!!
Why?
So I pointed.
He looked, killed the engine.
Luckily there wasn't damage. He'd forgotten to tighten something after the last bit of maintenance.

a lady comes running in after and starts beating on the guy with some kind of chain and pipe thing...
The employees start yelling at them to leave and calling 911.
How about yelling at her? Why blame the victim? (And from what they knew, he was the victim.)
I'm curious why the guy didn't run into the back of the store, out of sight, when he had the chance.

Motofixxer

I pictured a nunchaku type thing, but I only know what the clerk guy said. But regardless, I think it would qualify as a weapon and given the circumstances as described, use of force would be warranted. So as a What IF, what would you do?

RR_Broccoli

While in the process of looking for "no gun" signs, stop and examine how to lock retail store doors. Many of them are just a small deadbolt, the double door type might require a lock and a floor or upper door jam bolt as well.

The guy might have been able to simply lock the door, and then asked the clerk to dial 911.

In that situation, I would not intervene. Domestic stuff has a way of spilling over on bystanders, and it could have been a distraction for a robbery or simple retail theft.