• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dilemma: Travon Hoodie Day at Seattle School...

Beretta92FSLady

...but they aren't calling it that, they are calling it something like "National non-violence Day,"...something thereabouts.

One of the wonderful things about having teenagers is that they are up for making statements. I have two teenagers, so far. And today they left the house wearing a hoodie, equipped with a Lemonade, and Skittles.

Last night, and all of today I have been thinking about why I would, and why I did I allow my children to go to school like that. And I figured it out!: they ought to be their own individual, and if they believe that violence ought not occur, and want to make a statement, then I agree. We call can agree that the world would be a much better place if it wasn't necessary to be cornered into shooting another human being.--at least I hope all would agree!

But then I can't help but think about the Zimmerman v. Martin case, and the total freaking mess that is surrounding it. At this point not one person can state definitively what the hell happen that night; and that might always be the case, no matter the legal outcome.

I feel for Martin because I have teenagers (and a couple of younger children as well), I think it is unfortunate, and has to be devastating for Martin's parents to have lost their son; and Trayvon himself, staring down the end of the business end of a sidearm, and that being the last thing he had likely seen.

I wonder what both men were thinking, Trayvon, if he was being followed at night by some unknown man, and Zimmerman, if he was confronted by Trayvon. I am sure they both felt threatened. And I suppose that raises a number of questions such as: If Zimmerman was following Trayvon, and Trayvon turned around to confront Zimmerman because Trayvon felt threatened, was Trayvon in the right? I say yes, he was in the right to turn around and confront Zimmerman. Stand Your Ground would work both ways, wouldn't it?

I feel for Zimmerman because I have been in that position. I have had my sights on a person, and pulled the trigger; the man I shot, fortunately, did not die though. What Zimmerman has to deal with is much worse, IMO, than what I had to deal with, as I did not end the life of the person I shot, thank goodness. Zimmerman wishing to apologize to the parents of Trayvon is completely understandable. After I had shot the man who attacked me, I had a deep desire to send him flowers, and my thoughts were a mix of rage that he had forced me to shoot, and deep emotional upset that I had injured a person in that way. Even now, three years later, there are many things that run through my mind; and Zimmerman will be haunted by what had happened, whether it was the right thing to do, or the wrong thing.--it seems that Zimmerman is distraught about the whole situation, and being raked over the coals in the media just adds to the weight that is his to carry.

Some say there ought to be justice for Trayvon; other say there ought to be justice for Zimmerman; I say that there ought to be justice!--whatever the hell that even means!

When it comes to a shooting incident, both parties lose--he person pulling the trigger, and the person that's shot; what both parties is left with (assuming both survive) are degrees of losing, and that takes it's toll on the mind, and the body.

But I digress... We can instill to the best of our ability 'good things' in our children, but at the end of the day they are going to walk out that door into a world, away from us as parents, and make decisions.

I suppose my question to others on here is: Would you have allowed your child to go to school as I did this morning?

Daylen

Its simple. Don't assault someone just because you don't want them following you. Sitting on someones chest bashing their head into the ground is not self defense, its assault at least.

Beretta92FSLady

Its simple. Don't assault someone just because you don't want them following you. Sitting on someones chest bashing their head into the ground is not self defense, its assault at least.

I agree with what you posted--if that is what actually happened.

1245A Defender

Well,,,!!

I award you,, 5 Stars for your Original Post!

Your words and thoughts have touched my heart, my emotions, my being,
in a way that I dont usually let married ladies do...

Ive seen how your kids are. You are doing a fine job!
Ive never been so proud of a Liberal, Lesbian, Statist in my life... I mean that, Yea I really am proud of you!

I wish I could give you a hug. Take care Sara, best wishes, Bob

the_hustleman

...but they aren't calling it that, they are calling it something like "National non-violence Day,"...something thereabouts.

One of the wonderful things about having teenagers is that they are up for making statements. I have two teenagers, so far. And today they left the house wearing a hoodie, equipped with a Lemonade, and Skittles.

Last night, and all of today I have been thinking about why I would, and why I did I allow my children to go to school like that. And I figured it out!: they ought to be their own individual, and if they believe that violence ought not occur, and want to make a statement, then I agree. We call can agree that the world would be a much better place if it wasn't necessary to be cornered into shooting another human being.--at least I hope all would agree!

But then I can't help but think about the Zimmerman v. Martin case, and the total freaking mess that is surrounding it. At this point not one person can state definitively what the hell happen that night; and that might always be the case, no matter the legal outcome.

I feel for Martin because I have teenagers (and a couple of younger children as well), I think it is unfortunate, and has to be devastating for Martin's parents to have lost their son; and Trayvon himself, staring down the end of the business end of a sidearm, and that being the last thing he had likely seen.

I wonder what both men were thinking, Trayvon, if he was being followed at night by some unknown man, and Zimmerman, if he was confronted by Trayvon. I am sure they both felt threatened. And I suppose that raises a number of questions such as: If Zimmerman was following Trayvon, and Trayvon turned around to confront Zimmerman because Trayvon felt threatened, was Trayvon in the right? I say yes, he was in the right to turn around and confront Zimmerman. Stand Your Ground would work both ways, wouldn't it?

I feel for Zimmerman because I have been in that position. I have had my sights on a person, and pulled the trigger; the man I shot, fortunately, did not die though. What Zimmerman has to deal with is much worse, IMO, than what I had to deal with, as I did not end the life of the person I shot, thank goodness. Zimmerman wishing to apologize to the parents of Trayvon is completely understandable. After I had shot the man who attacked me, I had a deep desire to send him flowers, and my thoughts were a mix of rage that he had forced me to shoot, and deep emotional upset that I had injured a person in that way. Even now, three years later, there are many things that run through my mind; and Zimmerman will be haunted by what had happened, whether it was the right thing to do, or the wrong thing.--it seems that Zimmerman is distraught about the whole situation, and being raked over the coals in the media just adds to the weight that is his to carry.

Some say there ought to be justice for Trayvon; other say there ought to be justice for Zimmerman; I say that there ought to be justice!--whatever the hell that even means!

When it comes to a shooting incident, both parties lose--he person pulling the trigger, and the person that's shot; what both parties is left with (assuming both survive) are degrees of losing, and that takes it's toll on the mind, and the body.

But I digress... We can instill to the best of our ability 'good things' in our children, but at the end of the day they are going to walk out that door into a world, away from us as parents, and make decisions.

I suppose my question to others on here is: Would you have allowed your child to go to school as I did this morning?

This is the most informed, non biased, educated post I've ever read want this case.

Everywhere else it's making the kid out to be the bad guy.

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

paramedic70002

They would have had a complete understanding of the matter before I even entertained the thought of opening the door. You know, the kind where they roll their eyes and start to fidget. Heck, since they're so concerned, I think I would have them write a 500 word essay on the pros, cons, and unknowns of the case, including a credible defense of Martin as well as Zimmerman structured as a formal debate (they do have a debate club in school, right?), as well as other cases that didn't turn out like the public 'thought.' I would also have them verbalize why such a protest is important to them. Then and only then would I consider setting them loose. Critical thinking is a powerful educator.

If they still feel that such attire is appropriate, consider DNA testing. Maybe they were switched at birth. JK!

Last edited:

Stanley

Probably. It seems to me that idealism belongs with youth.

I was all about saving people, whales and trees as a teenager. It felt right. It fades as you grow up though.

I'd let them go definitely. I would just try to explain all sides to them and let them decide.

Super Trucker

Hell no.

Everyday the Detroit news channels show thugs killing thugs, they show how wearing the wrong color hoodie can get you killed, why anybody would allow their kids to dress like these low lives is beyond me. I guess I am a bad parent because I also encourage my daughters to wear a belt so their ass isn't hanging out of their pants.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Did they want to wear a hoodie because they thought it would bring awareness to street violence, or did they want to wear it because everyone else was and they are too weak to be different and think for themselves?

Beretta92FSLady

Did they want to wear a hoodie because they thought it would bring awareness to street violence, or did they want to wear it because everyone else was and they are too weak to be different and think for themselves?

My kids don't typically wear hoodies, and in talking to them, it seemed that they wanted to show support for the so-called Youth Day Of non-Violence (or some name like that). My kids wear layers, eighties clothes, I am lucky, IMO, when it comes to my kids style of dress; it's cheap, they love the second-hand stores.

I am sure there are a number of reasons for the Hoodie Day, I just made sure my kids were informed about what is going on, and that the issue is complicated, and not everything that is being stated in school, nor on the news reflects what actually happened. They have to decide for themselves about how they feel about the situation, it's not my place to tell them what their conclusions ought to be.--I can show them how to work through issues, but that's where it ought to stop, IMO.

I was just curious if other with children would have let their children go to school as I did.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Did your kids articulate, why they decided to wear a hoodie to school that day.

Did your kids articulate, why a hoodie is, or should be, emblematic of 'National non-violence Day'?

Did your kids articulate, why lemonade, and Skittles are, or should be, emblematic of 'National non-violence Day'?

Was this the first 'National non-violence Day'? If not, did they attend previous 'National non-violence Day' events? Did they wear hoodies on previous 'National non-violence Day' events?

Does the school plan on conducting another 'National non-violence Day' if they sanctioned the event this year?

Will hoodies be the recommended attire for the next 'National non-violence Day'?

Will lemonade and Skittles be the recommended equipment for the next 'National non-violence Day'?

It seems that your kids have concluded that the hoodie, lemonade, and Skittles represents non-violence.

lysander6

Beretta92FSLady: Would you have allowed your child to go to school as I did this morning?

No, we home-school and I would never allow my children to attend one of those re-education camps and mind laundries.

What I find most laughable about the schools preaching and teaching a "non-violence day" is that everyday in the government schools is a celebration of the state's right to initiate force against others and reserve the right to maintain a police state that fines, kidnaps, cages, maims and kills disobedient citizens whether they have committed a crime or not. A true national non-violence day would be a total withdrawal of consent to be ruled and a refusal to comply with the tens of thousands of laws that have turned America into a penal colony where the inmates are trained to bow to authority at every level and even sing songs and wave fabric to celebrate their chains and shackles.

Statism is a mental illness where your neighbor is considered your property.

There is no justice system, only a legal system.

Beretta92FSLady

D

It seems that your kids have concluded that the hoodie, lemonade, and Skittles represents non-violence.

It does seem to be the case, doesn't it. Don't most kids associate those things? I suppose as an alternative they ought to have brought a couple of my handguns to school, and a dead Negro since there seems to be an epidemic of violence in the Negro community.