Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kentucky list of OC friendly or unfriendly businesses

Kentucky list of OC friendly or unfriendly businesses

Disclaimer: To be used for informational purposes only. Any links in this post are NOT endorsed by OpenCarry.org, or its owners or administrators. OCDO, its owners, users, or administrators do not endorse, control, or take responsibility for the use or accuracy of this information, or associated data.

################################################## ####

Everyone,

Please add your Kentucky OC experiences to friendorfoe.us, or update an existing rating. It is also important to include listings of anti-gun businesses that either post "no guns" signs, or have asked you to leave the premises because you are legally carrying, concealed or open carry. Add your experiences and I will try to list them here. This post should remain sticky.

New opencarry.org users: Use this link below to patronize local businesses that recognize gun rights, and avoid those who do not.

http://friendorfoe.us

################################################## ####

Disclaimer: To be used for informational purposes only. OCDO, it's owners, users, or administrators does not endorse or take responsibility for the use or accuracy of this information. Store policies are subject to change. Please notify us if you are made aware of such change, and provide source emails or documents to be posted here.

I obtained the following list of corporate policies from the Michigan forum. Credit goes to those who worked to obtain this great info. We may be able to print off these emails, and give to store associates who don't understand corporate policies, which may be subject to change.

source: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/15478.html

Corporate Policies

Kroger/Fred Meyer

Thank you for your email.
    Our policy on guns in our stores is simply to comply with the law. We recognize and respect the right to carry a weapon and we are aware that not everyone who has a weapon has a concealed weapon permit. However, we serve all varieties of Customers in our stores ‚€“ we do not discriminate based on anything ‚€“ not gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or opinion. So, as I‚€™m sure you are aware, there may be times when an unconcealed weapon is upsetting, particularly to some mothers who are shopping with their children. If you have a concealed weapon permit, we would appreciate it if you would conceal your weapon, but we recognize that you do not have to by law.

Best regards,

Melinda Merrill
    Director, Public Affairs
    503.797.3830 p
    503.797.5609 f

melinda.merrill@fredmeyer.com
    http://www.fredmeyer.com

CASE SUMMARY
    REF# 7162545
    Notification Type: Unresolved To Division
    Contact Method: Email Contact
    Date Received: 9/8/2009 12:49:00 AM
    Received By: FM Unresolved Notification
    Additional Case Detail:
    Initial Rep: ch58449

ISSUE DETAILS
    Issue #1 Division Policy Inquiry
    Driver:
    Issue Status: O
    Store: NO STORE
    Incident Date & Time: 09/07/2009 00:00:00
    Employee Name:
    UPC: Not Provided, UPC Description:
    Brand Name:
    Additional Product Information:

CUSTOMER COMMENTS:
    Text # 1 - Customer Verbatim - 9/16/2009 3:15:11 PM
    In the state of Washington we have the right to keep and bear arms in self defense and the defense of others. Those who can lawfully own a firearm can lawfully openly carry a firearm without permit, or conceal carry a firearm with a Conceal Pistol License. Private property owners can make rules for visitors concerning the carry of firearms. Can you please send me a copy of Kroger/Fred Meyer corporate policy on the carrying of firearms by customers?Thank you,M***** R*******.

Text # 2 - Email Rep Reply to Customer - 9/16/2009 3:16:33 PM
    Thank you for contacting Fred Meyer regarding your policy inquiry. Your comment has been forwarded to the Main Office for follow up.

Again, thank you for writing.

Barnes & Noble

Original Message From: "Mary Ausman" <MJAusman@bn.com>

To: XXXXXXXXXXX
    Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 1:42 PM
    Subject: Barnes & Noble

Thank you for your email.

While we are unable to discuss customer situations with an uninvolved third part, to answer your question, Barnes & Noble complies with the law and, except where prohibited by law, does not prohibit its customers from carrying handguns or other firearms in a Barnes & Noble store in accordance with the laws of the state in which a store is located.
    Sincerely, Mary Ausman
    Supervisor, Customer Retention
    Barnes & Noble, Inc. 122 Fifth Avenue New York, NY 10011
    tel: (800) 422-7717 fax: (212)352.3660 http://www.barnesandnobleinc.com

Walmart
    Policy is to follow the law of the state the store located.
    Customer Service1-800-Wal-Mart
    (1-800-925-6278) Questions regarding a Wal-Mart Store issue
    702 SW 8th Street
    Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
    Bentonville, Arkansas 72716-8611

Email contact link:
    http://walmartstores.com/contactus/feedback.aspx

Audio of Walmart Policy: Walmart_Firearm_Policy_Call.mp3

Cabelas:

Thank you for the recent email. I am very sorry for the confusion that took place at our retail location.
    Our corporate office has taken action in regards to the below mentioned issue and here is what has been decided.
    We have made the decision to comply with state laws in regards to open carry. We do not ask customers to check concealed or open carry weapons where the state has laws governing this situation. Our signs refer to firearms that are being returned or sold to Cabela's.

If you are still having problems please feel free to let us know

Thanks again

Becky
    Lead Associate
    Cabela's Retail Information
    1-800-905-2731
    retail.contactgroup<AT>
    cabelas.com

Toys-R-US

Dear Mr. Ross:

Thank you for contacting Toys R Us regarding the recent tragedy in our store. Naturally, we want our guest's to be safe and feel confident while they are shopping. We adhere to the state law of whatever state a particular store is located in since the governing laws regarding gun control vary across the country. At this time I have not been notified that this will change though I can not guarantee that it won't in the future. I invite you to submit your concerns to our corporate head office for further attention.

Toys R Us
    Attn: Gerald Storch (CEO)
    1 Geoffrey Way
    Wayne, NJ 07470

If you have any further questions or concerns please email us or contact our customer service line at 1-800-869-7787.

Sincerely,

Beverly McCann
    Toys R Us Corporate Guest Relations Team

LOWE'S
    Dear XXXX XXXX:

Thank you for giving Lowe's the opportunity to respond to your concerns regarding our policy on firearms in our stores.

Lowe's currently does, and will continue to abide by federal, state and local laws regarding firearms, and we do not prohibit customers from carrying firearms into our stores.

Our first and foremost concern is for the safety of our customers, however; we take all comments and concerns from our customers seriously. We are considerate of all customers, and will remain neutral regarding the right to carry firearms. We will respect federal, state and local laws regarding this.

If Lowe's can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to call 1-866-284-8989 or email
    execustservice@lowes.com. You may also contact us by mailing your correspondence to P.O. Box 1111, Mail Code CON8, North Wilkesboro, North Carolina 28659.

Thank you,
    Julie Holloway
    Lowe's Executive Customer Service

Home Depot.

http://www.tennesseefirearms.com/law...s/homedepo.pdf

Customer care number. 1-800-430-3376
    Contact link:
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10053

Recieved this from Jerry. Seems to contradict the letter.

Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 06:13:57 -0400 (EDT)
    hdconsumeraffairs@homedepot.com>
    To:
    warchild44spcl@yahoo.com
    Subject: Re: Other Website Questions

Dear Jerry,
    The Home Depot Customer Care is in receipt of your email. We appreciate you taking the time to email us. Our general policy is not to ban customers from carrying firearms on the Home Depot property in those states having a concealed firearm law, provided they are carrying the firearm in accordance with the applicable laws.
    If the firearm is not concealed in accordance with the carrying permit (typically that means concealed and cannot be seen by members of the public), it is up to the manager based on personal comfort level to approach the individual directly and request them to leave the premises or to contact local law enforcement for purposes of having the individual removed. Thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,
    Ricky
    Customer Care

BEST BUY's POLICY

from Customer Contact <
    CustomerContact@bestbuy.com>
    to XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    date Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 7:31 PM
    subject Best Buy Gun policy - XXXXXXXX
    mailed-by
    bestbuy.com

Best Buy strives to comply with all applicable law and statues. Best Buy also strives to provide a safe and comfortable shopping environment for all our customers. Best Buy does not ban guns at our retail locations. As a general rule, Best Buy does not post ‚€œno guns allowed‚€Ě signs in our stores and we are not aware of any individual stores that might have posted such a sign.

BOB EVANS

Bob Evans - Reference # 536155

We certainly appreciate you taking the time to e-mail regarding our Bob Evans Restaurants. Bob Evans follows all local, state, and federal laws pertaining to firearms. Please contact your local Bob Evans restaurants for the specific regulations. Again, Mr. Spice, we appreciate your comments. We value your patronage and appreciate your interest in Bob Evans Farms Inc.

Bass Pro. Inc. Clarifies Policy ‚€“ Open Carry Welcome!

OpenCarry.org (OCDO) is pleased to announce that Bass Pro Inc. advised OCDO co-founder Mike Stollenwerk by telephone today that open carry of holstered handguns is as welcome as concealed carry provided all federal and state laws are followed.

After being contacted by OpenCarry.org (and apparently some of our almost 20,000 some thousand members) about sporadic inconsistent treatment of open carriers at some Bass Pro shops, Bass Pro‚€™s Manager of Communications Larry L. Whiteley asked OCDO co-founder Mike Stollenwerk for more background information and some time to straighten things out.

Stollenwerk advised Whitely two weeks ago that open carry is legal in most states, usually without a permit, and that Sportsmens‚€™ Warehouse and Cabelas have adopted clear corporate policies welcoming open carriers in their stores just as they do concealed carriers. Further Stollenwerk noted, it‚€™s better to adopt one clear corporate policy than allow individual employees make up store rules or give legal advice to customers, i.e., the proverbial but well meaning, ‚€œpsst, hey, you gotta cover that up, it‚€™s the law‚€Ě kind of thing, which can get gun owners in trouble for breaking the law and unlawfully concealing (e.g., in Wisconsin where no permit to conceal is even issued).

Well today Mr. Whiteley called and confirmed that Bass Pro‚€™s policy is and ‚€œalways was‚€Ě to be to respect lawful customer gun carry, concealed or open, and that steps the following steps are being taken to ensure this policy is understood by all managers and employees, including production and distribution of training videos as well re-drafting of signage pertaining to guns.

OpenCarry.org is pleased that Bass Pro. joins both Sportsmens‚€™ Warehouse and Cabelas in clarifying to OpenCarry.org that open carry is welcome in their stores as a matter of corporate policy.

Pitcocks Food Mart in Gamaliel, Kentucky is gun friendly.

MISC locations in KY probably vary. Post your experiences to friendorfoe.us.

Barnes and Nobles = Good
    Lowes = Good
    Walmart = Good
    Target = Good
    Home Depot = Good
    Most gas stations = Good
    All subways = Good
    White castle = Good
    Dennys = Good
    Rite Aid = Good, even asked me questions (good ones)
    Tractor Supply Company = Good
    Play it again sports = Good (very talkative guy about guns as well so big plus)

Mall and everything connected = BAD, No go. Security says no carry allowed, signs posted.
    Last edited by Statesman; 04-15-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Thanks for what you have so far. I can confirm Lowes for sure here in Louisville. Are the location you mentioned for Kentucky or were they just national?

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Kay Jewelers.. NOT friendly.
    ďThe only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.Ē Edmund Burke

self-pres∑er∑va∑tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

pitcocks food mart in gamaliel, kentucky is gun friendly. i haven't carried there but asked mr. pitcock a few weeks ago about open carry and he is a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment. he said open carry was welcome for customers, as he believes law abiding citizens carrying do make it safer. that gives me a chance to finally take the step of carrying in town i carry in my rural area alot, but i've never took the step of doing it in town.
    Last edited by boomer92266; 04-14-2012 at 10:34 PM.

This is ALL E-Town!!!

Barnes and Nobles = Good
    Lowes = Good
    Walmart = Good
    Target = Good
    Home Depot = Good
    Most gas stations = Good
    All subways = Good
    White castle = Good
    Dennys = Good
    Rite Aid = Good, even asked me questions (good ones)
    Tractor Supply Company = Good
    Play it again sports = Good (very talkative guy about guns as well so big plus)

Mall and everything connected = BAD, No go. Security says no carry allowed, signs posted.

Hope this helps.

I have not been hassled once by EPD, or anyone. I have had questions why I carry, if I'm allowed. I always go out dressed nicely, always talk with respect have educated quite a few people.

OC'd in Korgers near the mall got a lot of looks. No contact but thinking I will be made contact next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Volksford View Post
    Thanks for what you have so far. I can confirm Lowes for sure here in Louisville. Are the location you mentioned for Kentucky or were they just national?
    As far as Lowes goes, they abide by state and federal laws. Each state is different in their open and concealed carry laws. This thread is for Kentucky only.

Can someone make this thread sticky?

Quote Originally Posted by Statesman View Post
    Can someone make this thread sticky?
    Why not post this stuff on the friend or foe site? It is easier to search and update. That is what it is there for after all. You can make a new post on the business in question there and add as much info as you like.
    Kentucky Open Carry Group
    http://opencarry.niceboards.org/

We all speak of liberty and freedom like we are the only ones that know the truth and the right path. But if we expect everyone to accept and follow our path and to accept our truth and want to force it upon them then that is no longer liberty or freedom. It is slavery. I believe in liberty for all. Regardless of their political views, religion, race, sex, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by KYKevin View Post
    Why not post this stuff on the friend or foe site? It is easier to search and update. That is what it is there for after all. You can make a new post on the business in question there and add as much info as you like.
    friendorfoe.us is valuable, but it does not provide space for listing actual corporate policies that open carriers can use to take back to the manager to correct them in their violation of those policies. That's my justification for making this thread sticky. If we come across any further communications for corporate offices, we can post them here for others to use.

The guy who runs Friend or foe is a very nice gentleman, ask him if he can do a corporate policy section. If it is at all possible I am sure he will do it.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by Statesman View Post
    friendorfoe.us is valuable, but it does not provide space for listing actual corporate policies that open carriers can use to take back to the manager to correct them in their violation of those policies. That's my justification for making this thread sticky. If we come across any further communications for corporate offices, we can post them here for others to use.
    Not sure how much room you have but you can type out a lot I think. Most just don't.
    Kentucky Open Carry Group
    http://opencarry.niceboards.org/

We all speak of liberty and freedom like we are the only ones that know the truth and the right path. But if we expect everyone to accept and follow our path and to accept our truth and want to force it upon them then that is no longer liberty or freedom. It is slavery. I believe in liberty for all. Regardless of their political views, religion, race, sex, etc.

Campaign Veteran
    Adding corporate policies is on my TODO list for the Friend or Foe site. I posted a thread about it in the general area but it hasn't gotten much attention. If you'd like to contribute some links to policies there, I'll add them when that feature is ready.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...for-Businesses

Eventually, each listed business listed in the FOF site will have its own dedicated info page so you can see the policy if any, experiences, and also possibly discuss the business right on that page. That's a few iterations away still, but I'll get it done sooner or later. I'm also working on a mobile app as many people have requested one.

Kids summer sports/activities and other dev projects piling up cause the FOF site to get pushed back a lot. I do have another update coming pretty soon that will include a dedicated option to mark posted places, and not have to write it in the description...that way, I can show posted places a bit differently on the map so you don't have to click and view the details.

If you have any other suggestions, feel free to PM me.
    Find businesses that are pro gun...and those that aren't. Friend or Foe - Version 2 is online!

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Mcdonalds, owingsville (or all Healy family owned) NOT friendly. Spoke to manager of the one here on O'ville. Have him some papers that he said he would send to their main office. Hope to hear back from them in few days.
    ďThe only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.Ē Edmund Burke

self-pres∑er∑va∑tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

Activist Member
    Ashland Movies 10, No Firearms. If you are going to carry, make sure it is concealed, or you will be asked to leave.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Eddyville Wine and Spirits off 62 near 93 near Paduca has a large yellow NO GUNS sign on the door.

Allied Computers, INC; winchester, KY is VERY gun-friendly! I highly recommend this place for computer repair, the owner is a nice fellow who talked to me on gun laws and is a veteran. We talked about pre emption and such, and i gave him a caseof beer i had for kicks
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

Thanks for this list. There are a few places on this list that I go to, and now I'll OC when I do go there.
    If you're not ashamed to own it, don't be ashamed to open carry it.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

As of today, Target is no longer open carry friendly............

http://abullseyeview.com/2014/07/tar...rms-in-stores/
    ďWe can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.Ē Ayn Rand

"free people ought...to be armed." In so doing we grasp the larger lesson that the ability to defend ourselves is part and parcel to our freedom. George Washington , January 7, 1790

Madisonville, Mortons Gap KY(Western Ky), ,

Food Giant

All the Food Giant stores have large red no guns allowed signs. Market place in Madisonville is a Food giant member, has signs on every window. Same for Food Giant of Dawson Springs, and Hopkknsville..

I'll add some unfriendlys to the list. OC

Berea ky

Dominos pizza
    Mcdonalds all locations in Berea
    All Circle K's gas stations

These are all places once they noticed me carrying I was asked to remove my pistol.

Ironically I worked at the Berea dominos and while as a driver I would always carry. Once I got an I sode manager position I would carry inside as well. Not one customer or other driver had a problem.
    Then the owner was told I was carrying and he threatened to fire me. He had no posted signage and fire arms were never an issue. I continued to carry until I was written up. I explained it was for self defense sense I was in the store till 2am alone inside every night, the only buisness open on that end of town that late. They don't care. They felt I was the threat. I found another job and left.
    A couple months later a female manager was shot in that owner's Danville location. Last I heard she was still in UK.
    I have no contacted the owner to see if he has changed his policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatairplaneguy View Post
    I'll add some unfriendlys to the list. OC

Berea ky

Dominos pizza
    Mcdonalds all locations in Berea
    All Circle K's gas stations

These are all places once they noticed me carrying I was asked to remove my pistol.
    Every so often I happen to be in the Berea area on business. They next time I'm out that way I'll have to drop into these locations in OC and see what they say. I have already been in a number of businesses there but none of those that are listed above yet.
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

I'd agree. Way too liberal for me! Ill gloom be moving for work anyway. That day can't come soon enough.

Friend or Foe is a good site that has user-ratings for pro or anti-gun businesses

Thumbs up

I went shipping in Richmond with my wife today. As always I carried my Kimber .45. Went to Raising Cane's, Dick's, Dollar Tree, Ollie's, Lowe's and then Berea Walmart.
    Not one problem from any place and at every place I did encounter employees and management. My gun was in full and plain sight. I was welcomed into and back to Dick's by a manager and at Lowes by two cashiers.
    Nice day today !

Berea Locations.

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    Berea is a haven for anti-gun thought and policies in the vast sea of pro-gun Eastern Ky. The situations you describe at Dominoes is extremely dangerous. I'd never put my life at risk like that.
    Since the posting of the sites in Berea that are reportedly anti-gun, I have completed to lengthy trips to that area and have intentionally tested all locations with the exception of Rite-Aids. I didn't encounter any problems and issues with any of them and in fact had nothing but positive comments from the McDonalds in the Wal-Mart plaza. I intentional made it a point to go to this location at least 3 or 4 times each trip to Berea. I carried in OWB, IWB, Shoulder Rig, even Mexican carry for good measure and not a single negative word and comment was made.

In future visits I'll be looking into the Rite-Aids location(s).
    Got SIG? MOLON LABE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast