• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA biggest OC group in America?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
We are a "group"? Maybe a conspiracy instead.

I'm ecstatic that "we" are not organized, incorporated, and do not have club jackets (colors). It's what grass-roots is supposed to be.

stay safe.

Riana

We are a "group"? Maybe a conspiracy instead.

I'm ecstatic that "we" are not organized, incorporated, and do not have club jackets (colors). It's what grass-roots is supposed to be.

stay safe.

I dunno, I think club jackets would be cool. :dude:

We may or may not be the largest, but we are definitely the chattiest. Hence the higher post count.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
They are nice, but they are not "official".

stay safe.

Yep, there is no official. It's a group of gabby people. Mike used to talk about "The Cause". There is no cause or organization, just people exercising their constitutional rights.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
While there is no direct connection between VCDL and OCDO user/members, there is a commonality of goals and purpose inherent in both word and deed - to provide the means to return home safely each and everyday of our lives and to pass that legacy on to future generations. We have become the keeper of the flame.

VCDL members compromise a vast percentage of the contributors to OCDO in Virginia. VCDL is that formal organization that binds us together as grassroots activists, both in leadership and numbers - as has been said before we are "a force to be reckoned with." VCDL is structured and directed to work at achieving specific goals relative to self-defense and the RKBA. Yes members socialize and share other life experiences, but it all comes back to the choice to embrace self-defense as a legal and moral right. Membership is not free - there are dues formal and informal to be paid. When I select to wear "colors" announcing who and what I am, I don the specific trappings of VCDL: hat, shirt, jacket with the minuteman patch and/or name tag. I wear no other club/organization colors - period. Oh and I OC 99.9% of the time.

So what is OCDO? IMVHO, it is a forum - a place where people can share ideas, knowledge, information and free think the promotion/defense of OC, more or less exclusively to other methods of SD. OCDO does not have members or a charter - we are participants/practitioners who are identified by how we carry.

Whether I go to the GA, a restaurant or a mom and pop shop, I go as a member of VCDL. OCing is frequently the conversation starter that leads to an explanation of and invitation to join VCDL, but it is simply normal, everyday business. VCDL is the identifier.

Promote VCDL while OCing - great two pronged publicity. VCDL being arguably the best organization of its type in the country (certainly the original CDL) and with OCDO being a unique specialty forum, second to none.

Want to see my colors? Here the are in red, white and blue!

ribbon.gif

Tess

Founder's Club Member
While there is no direct connection between VCDL and OCDO user/members, there is a commonality of goals and purpose inherent in both word and deed - to provide the means to return home safely each and everyday of our lives and to pass that legacy on to future generations. We have become the keeper of the flame.

VCDL members compromise a vast percentage of the contributors to OCDO in Virginia. VCDL is that formal organization that binds us together as grassroots activists, both in leadership and numbers - as has been said before we are "a force to be reckoned with." VCDL is structured and directed to work at achieving specific goals relative to self-defense and the RKBA. Yes members socialize and share other life experiences, but it all comes back to the choice to embrace self-defense as a legal and moral right. Membership is not free - there are dues formal and informal to be paid. When I select to wear "colors" announcing who and what I am, I don the specific trappings of VCDL: hat, shirt, jacket with the minuteman patch and/or name tag. I wear no other club/organization colors - period. Oh and I OC 99.9% of the time.

So what is OCDO? IMVHO, it is a forum - a place where people can share ideas, knowledge, information and free think the promotion/defense of OC, more or less exclusively to other methods of SD. OCDO does not have members or a charter - we are participants/practitioners who are identified by how we carry.

Whether I go to the GA, a restaurant or a mom and pop shop, I go as a member of VCDL. OCing is frequently the conversation starter that leads to an explanation of and invitation to join VCDL, but it is simply normal, everyday business. VCDL is the identifier.

Promote VCDL while OCing - great two pronged publicity. VCDL being arguably the best organization of its type in the country (certainly the original CDL) and with OCDO being a unique specialty forum, second to none.

Want to see my colors? Here the are in red, white and blue!

ribbon.gif

Hear, hear.

And VCDL won't delete or ban you if you don't toe the line, though (I believe) they have the right if you willfully disobey gun laws or safety rules.

Brian D.

Is VA the biggest OC group in America? It sure has the most posts.

You folks may be biggest in terms of individual physical size ;) as so many of the meetups are held at buffets...but I dunno that for sure since I haven't attended any of 'em.

Just joshing y'all it's great to see that kind of camaraderie.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
You folks may be biggest in terms of individual physical size ;) as so many of the meetups are held at buffets...but I dunno that for sure since I haven't attended any of 'em.

Just joshing y'all it's great to see that kind of camaraderie.

Buffets are pretty much sure to have enough room to put all of us together. And we generally sit out in the middle. And when we do not there are folks getting up for new plates full all the time. We do meet up other places, but good food, good conversation and good friends just seem to go together.

I've never been to Cincinattii except to drive through on my way to somewhere else. Even so, I'm willing to bet you could get a decent group together if you just picked the place and announced the date/time. No need for formal meetings to vote about everything. This "technique" is how our Richmond monthly dinners and weekly breakfasts started - and then folks who thought it was too far to drive did the same thing in their neighborhoods. Why, after a while it became a MOVEMENT!:D

stay safe.

Brian D.

Yeah I know about Meet 'n' Greets for gunsters, I've put together a few here in my state as a member of Ohioans For Concealed Carry. Another thing about buffets is that because not everybody arrives promptly you're not putting a strain on the wait staff. (Even if you planned a get together two years ahead there would be folks who drifted in half an hour late.)