Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Mickleshoot.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Auburn, wa
    Posts
    112

    Mickleshoot.

    This may have been talked about before but anything I need to know about going to the reservation either oc or cc?

  2. #2
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,990
    Simple, NO!
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran slapmonkay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,267
    Feeling under weather and on the way out to doctor so in hurry, only posting a link.

    www.handgunlaw.us/documents/tribal_law_ccw.pdf
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

    It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

    I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

  4. #4
    Regular Member TechnoWeenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2,086
    Be careful, as casinos are still under LCB purview. Which means areas that serve alcohol and restricted to 21+ are still 'no carry'., which is every casino floor I'm aware of...
    Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Metalhead47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Whidbey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,812
    Quote Originally Posted by briehl12 View Post
    This may have been talked about before but anything I need to know about going to the reservation either oc or cc?

    What Techno said about the casinos. For all intents & purposes, they're bars, so having a weapon is unlawful. Other than that, just look at the reservations as private property (which they are). Tribal police cannot enforce tribal law upon non-tribe members, but they can ask you to leave the reservation outright. Unless you're very familiar with Muckleshoot's laws & attitudes towards firearms, you're probably better off just concealing and not bringing it into a casino.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Wolfebane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    113
    I stopped off to get gas at the twin bridges indian gas station, I was told by the officer inside when I tried to pay that I could have it on my person either OC or CC while outside but not when entering an indian building.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Posts
    1,552

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    Other than that, just look at the reservations as private property (which they are). Tribal police cannot enforce tribal law upon non-tribe members, but they can ask you to leave the reservation outright.
    This isn't too bad, but what I would be really afraid of is them seizing and holding my weapon, and having to go through a tribal law process to get it back.

    Whenever I have occasion to travel through a reservation, I make every attempt to avoid drawing attention to the fact that I am armed.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

  8. #8
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Ive had no problems on Lummi or Tulalip. On Lummi of course I have family on Lummi. I ran into the head of council several times in town while armed and twice out on Lummi said nothing about my firearm.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  9. #9
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    Some reservations restrict, some do not...you need to know the tribal law..generally speaking public highways and places like outside at gas stations are OK. Some tribes (Colville's) do have a tribal permit, is a may issue through the tribal council if you wish to carry off the public roadways..basically, just respect their tribal rights and you will do fine.

  10. #10
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    Some reservations restrict, some do not...you need to know the tribal law..generally speaking public highways and places like outside at gas stations are OK. Some tribes (Colville's) do have a tribal permit, is a may issue through the tribal council if you wish to carry off the public roadways..basically, just respect their tribal rights and you will do fine.
    Respect has a lot to do with it. Some white Americans are very arrogant and self important, they are the ones that tend to have the most problems on tribal land.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Posts
    1,552
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Respect has a lot to do with it. Some white Americans are very arrogant and self important, they are the ones that tend to have the most problems on tribal land.
    Let's be fair now; the sword cuts both ways. As a hunter, I have heard my fill of high-and-mighty, holier-than-thou platitudes from American Indians about how they are "guardians of the land," and have a "special relationship with nature" because of the DNA in their blood. All the while, of course, ignoring the fact that their ancestors, like other Stone Age hunter-gatherers, did things like run huge herds of buffalo and elk over cliffs, and set forest fires to drive out game. I don't really have a problem with that, per se, because you do what you have to do feed your family, but it's really no different from what ancient Europeans did 15,000 years ago. People are people.

    With regards to tribal land, let me say that I have no problem with tribes being truly autonomous and sovereign. In fact, I advocate the secession of ethnically and culturally distinct groups to preserve their uniqueness, should they so desire. However, the American Indians have it both ways; they have "sovereign land" where they can make laws, restrict ownership to tribal members, deny fundamental American Constitutional rights, don't pay taxes, etc., but yet they are American citizens, can vote in elections, can travel off the reservation without passports, can import/export to and from the reservation without paying any duties or fees, receive federal government benefits, etc. In my humble opinion, this double-standard is not fair for anyone, and should be rectified either by true independence or by absorption.

    ETA: In many cases, the appalling poverty seen on some reservations is the direct result of mismanagement or outright corruption of tribal leadership, who screw over their own people out of incompetence or personal gain. Again, no different from the situation of white Americans vis-a-vis the government.
    Last edited by ManInBlack; 04-19-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

  12. #12
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    Let's be fair now; the sword cuts both ways. As a hunter, I have heard my fill of high-and-mighty, holier-than-thou platitudes from American Indians about how they are "guardians of the land," and have a "special relationship with nature" because of the DNA in their blood. All the while, of course, ignoring the fact that their ancestors, like other Stone Age hunter-gatherers, did things like run huge herds of buffalo and elk over cliffs, and set forest fires to drive out game. I don't really have a problem with that, per se, because you do what you have to do feed your family, but it's really no different from what ancient Europeans did 15,000 years ago. People are people.

    With regards to tribal land, let me say that I have no problem with tribes being truly autonomous and sovereign. In fact, I advocate the secession of ethnically and culturally distinct groups to preserve their uniqueness, should they so desire. However, the American Indians have it both ways; they have "sovereign land" where they can make laws, restrict ownership to tribal members, deny fundamental American Constitutional rights, don't pay taxes, etc., but yet they are American citizens, can vote in elections, can travel off the reservation without passports, can import/export to and from the reservation without paying any duties or fees, receive federal government benefits, etc. In my humble opinion, this double-standard is not fair for anyone, and should be rectified either by true independence or by absorption.

    ETA: In many cases, the appalling poverty seen on some reservations is the direct result of mismanagement or outright corruption of tribal leadership, who screw over their own people out of incompetence or personal gain. Again, no different from the situation of white Americans vis-a-vis the government.

    I don't see much I disagree with there. This hippy myth of Natives living in harmony with nature is well just a myth.

    I point to the Rez as a perfect example of why depending on someone else is horrible way to live it saps human will and innovation, motivation right out of ya that a welfare state is good for no one. And yep corruption on tribal politics is rampant, like my cousins and I say gov is corrupt from the Federal level to State to County to tribal.

    As far as U.S citizenry goes, I feel tribal members should be able to renounce it if they want. That is a double edged sword. One thing to remember though is that many of the things "white" folks complain about as unfair was given to natives for exchange of their land and as a peace treaty so we wouldn't keep killing each other.

    I lived several years in Hawaii, I got along great with locals, being part native may have helped, the culture of respect was similar and I fit in. I would tend to avoid some Haole's because when you are on the other side you do notice the arrogance and "air of superiority" some exhibit. You see this on the Rez too with some white visitors, who just assume their methods and their culture is better than others. This is something I have observed between cultures in general too, folks from India, Russia, China, etc...bashing the western culture and not respecting how we do things here too... they are the ones who usually complain about rampant racism, when in actuality people just don't like them personally, not because of their skin color. (disclaimer, I have many friends from many cultures, who don't do this, and am not bashing any ethnicity or culture )
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  13. #13
    Regular Member jt59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central South Sound
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I don't see much I disagree with there. This hippy myth of Natives living in harmony with nature is well just a myth.

    I point to the Rez as a perfect example of why depending on someone else is horrible way to live it saps human will and innovation, motivation right out of ya that a welfare state is good for no one. And yep corruption on tribal politics is rampant, like my cousins and I say gov is corrupt from the Federal level to State to County to tribal.

    As far as U.S citizenry goes, I feel tribal members should be able to renounce it if they want. That is a double edged sword. One thing to remember though is that many of the things "white" folks complain about as unfair was given to natives for exchange of their land and as a peace treaty so we wouldn't keep killing each other.

    I lived several years in Hawaii, I got along great with locals, being part native may have helped, the culture of respect was similar and I fit in. I would tend to avoid some Haole's because when you are on the other side you do notice the arrogance and "air of superiority" some exhibit. You see this on the Rez too with some white visitors, who just assume their methods and their culture is better than others. This is something I have observed between cultures in general too, folks from India, Russia, China, etc...bashing the western culture and not respecting how we do things here too... they are the ones who usually complain about rampant racism, when in actuality people just don't like them personally, not because of their skin color. (disclaimer, I have many friends from many cultures, who don't do this, and am not bashing any ethnicity or culture )
    Wise beyond his years...+1
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •