Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Negligent Discharge at Jims in Fay!

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fayetteville N.C.
    Posts
    4

    Negligent Discharge at Jims in Fay!

    Scary stuff! Exactly why we dont point firearms at things we dont want to destroy!
    http://m.fayobserver.com/articles?pa.../04/13/1171065

  2. #2
    Regular Member ArmySoldier22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by 89Foxbody View Post
    Scary stuff! Exactly why we dont point firearms at things we dont want to destroy!
    http://m.fayobserver.com/articles?pa.../04/13/1171065
    Also why you NEVER assume ANYTHING with a firearm. You never assume whether it's loaded or unloaded. You never assume if it's on safe or on fire "if the weapon has a safety." All firearms should be treated as if loaded and ready to fire, no matter how sure you are otherwise. Back in 07' I watched an 18 year old soldier take a .50 round to the stomach because a drill sergeant "with multiple deployments and 12 years in the military" pointed a .50 machine gun towards a set of bleachers to teach them the how the .50 worked. Trigger was pulled, and the round ripped through his kevlar plate in his vest and blew a hole big enough to reach a hand inside in his back left side. He didn't die instantly either. He sat there in shock for about a minute just looking around at everybody. The medics did all they could, but everybody already knew that there was nothing that could be done. Nothing fixes that. The air evac got there within 10 minutes, and he died while they were loading him up. Because of that, when I clear my firearm, I do it no less than 3 times. Pop the mag out, rack the slide and check the chamber, rack the slide and check the chamber, rack the slide and check the chamber. Even if the mag is empty.
    Last edited by ArmySoldier22; 04-14-2012 at 09:43 AM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Franklin Co., NC
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySoldier22 View Post
    when I clear my firearm, I do it no less than 3 times. Pop the mag out, rack the slide and check the chamber, rack the slide and check the chamber, rack the slide and check the chamber. Even if the mag is empty.
    I do the same thing. Triple check it, better safe than sorry.
    "I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." - Ted Nugent

  4. #4
    Regular Member Medic1210's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Rockingham, NC
    Posts
    298
    I wonder if this happened in the range or in the gun store itself? Scary, as I go to Jim's pretty regularly. I'm betting they'll post no guns signs now... I do know they have a sign stating all weapons are to be unloaded with the slide locked to the rear, but I don't think that applies to concealed weapons. Not 100% sure though.

  5. #5
    Regular Member rotorhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    862
    Oops.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Posts
    1,552

    Thumbs up What a story!

    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySoldier22 View Post
    Also why you NEVER assume ANYTHING with a firearm. You never assume whether it's loaded or unloaded. You never assume if it's on safe or on fire "if the weapon has a safety." All firearms should be treated as if loaded and ready to fire, no matter how sure you are otherwise. Back in 07' I watched an 18 year old soldier take a .50 round to the stomach because a drill sergeant "with multiple deployments and 12 years in the military" pointed a .50 machine gun towards a set of bleachers to teach them the how the .50 worked. Trigger was pulled, and the round ripped through his kevlar plate in his vest and blew a hole big enough to reach a hand inside in his back left side. He didn't die instantly either. He sat there in shock for about a minute just looking around at everybody. The medics did all they could, but everybody already knew that there was nothing that could be done. Nothing fixes that. The air evac got there within 10 minutes, and he died while they were loading him up. Because of that, when I clear my firearm, I do it no less than 3 times. Pop the mag out, rack the slide and check the chamber, rack the slide and check the chamber, rack the slide and check the chamber. Even if the mag is empty.
    I also started triple-checking "clear" a couple of years ago, especially when handing over or accepting a weapon. I am glad I didn't have to learn that lesson through a horrible experience like the one above. In my opinion, there is no excuse to ever point a weapon at any innocent person, regardless of whether it is condition unknown or has been checked clear 100 times. I hope that sergeant bore the full brunt of the military justice system, although any punishment dealt to him would not equal his culpability.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •