• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Negligent Discharge at Jims in Fay!

ArmySoldier22

Scary stuff! Exactly why we dont point firearms at things we dont want to destroy!
http://m.fayobserver.com/articles?path=/articles/2012/04/13/1171065

Also why you NEVER assume ANYTHING with a firearm. You never assume whether it's loaded or unloaded. You never assume if it's on safe or on fire "if the weapon has a safety." All firearms should be treated as if loaded and ready to fire, no matter how sure you are otherwise. Back in 07' I watched an 18 year old soldier take a .50 round to the stomach because a drill sergeant "with multiple deployments and 12 years in the military" pointed a .50 machine gun towards a set of bleachers to teach them the how the .50 worked. Trigger was pulled, and the round ripped through his kevlar plate in his vest and blew a hole big enough to reach a hand inside in his back left side. He didn't die instantly either. He sat there in shock for about a minute just looking around at everybody. The medics did all they could, but everybody already knew that there was nothing that could be done. Nothing fixes that. The air evac got there within 10 minutes, and he died while they were loading him up. Because of that, when I clear my firearm, I do it no less than 3 times. Pop the mag out, rack the slide and check the chamber, rack the slide and check the chamber, rack the slide and check the chamber. Even if the mag is empty.

Last edited:

condeist

when I clear my firearm, I do it no less than 3 times. Pop the mag out, rack the slide and check the chamber, rack the slide and check the chamber, rack the slide and check the chamber. Even if the mag is empty.

I do the same thing. Triple check it, better safe than sorry.

Medic1210

I wonder if this happened in the range or in the gun store itself? Scary, as I go to Jim's pretty regularly. I'm betting they'll post no guns signs now... I do know they have a sign stating all weapons are to be unloaded with the slide locked to the rear, but I don't think that applies to concealed weapons. Not 100% sure though.

ManInBlack

What a story!

Also why you NEVER assume ANYTHING with a firearm. You never assume whether it's loaded or unloaded. You never assume if it's on safe or on fire "if the weapon has a safety." All firearms should be treated as if loaded and ready to fire, no matter how sure you are otherwise. Back in 07' I watched an 18 year old soldier take a .50 round to the stomach because a drill sergeant "with multiple deployments and 12 years in the military" pointed a .50 machine gun towards a set of bleachers to teach them the how the .50 worked. Trigger was pulled, and the round ripped through his kevlar plate in his vest and blew a hole big enough to reach a hand inside in his back left side. He didn't die instantly either. He sat there in shock for about a minute just looking around at everybody. The medics did all they could, but everybody already knew that there was nothing that could be done. Nothing fixes that. The air evac got there within 10 minutes, and he died while they were loading him up. Because of that, when I clear my firearm, I do it no less than 3 times. Pop the mag out, rack the slide and check the chamber, rack the slide and check the chamber, rack the slide and check the chamber. Even if the mag is empty.

I also started triple-checking "clear" a couple of years ago, especially when handing over or accepting a weapon. I am glad I didn't have to learn that lesson through a horrible experience like the one above. In my opinion, there is no excuse to ever point a weapon at any innocent person, regardless of whether it is condition unknown or has been checked clear 100 times. I hope that sergeant bore the full brunt of the military justice system, although any punishment dealt to him would not equal his culpability.