• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spreading the Word!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I feel that we have an onus upon us to spread the word to our fellow law abiding citizens that open carry is legal in Colorado. I open carry every single day, despite the fact that I have a CCW permit. I simply prefer to OC, and have a notion that concealed carry is only appropriate in a nudist park! (Once you get beyond that disturbing image, let's move along!)

So we had a nice Meet and Greet in Colorado Springs on Wednesday evening. We had a good turn out, and some really excellent chow. I headed back to the Denver area metromess and was enjoying the 2008 Jeep Liberty that I've had now for almost 2 weeks. Just after I cleared the Springs, I noticed a light on my dashboard that I've never seen before. After pondering it awhile, I figured it was trying to tell me I had a low tire. I stopped at Baptist Road to put air in it, and of course, it started raining. In fact, it was pouring as I set about to determine which of the 4 tires was needing air. I checked each one, one after another. Of course it was the 4th one I checked that turned out to be low. Couldn't have been the first one I looked at. No.... that'd have been entirely too easy!

Once that chore was accomplished, I stepped inside and a truck driver from Georgia looked at me and said "You're packing a gun?" To which I replied, "Yeah... of course!" The man eyed me with some consternation etched across his leathery features and said "You can carry a gun like that, out in the open?" I pulled off my leather jacket and set it aside to drip dry. "Yes. Colorado is a free state. We can open carry anywhere and at any time, with remarkably few exceptions. Like the People's Republic of Denver!" The clerk behind the counter chimed in with "Yeah, you can carry openly when you have a permit." I looked up in surprise and responded "No. You don't need a permit to carry openly. The permit is for concealed carry. Open carry requires no blessings from the state." The truck driver from Georgia said "I gotta move to Colorado!"

So I headed back to the Jeep... and of course it had stopped raining by then... and headed north. I decided to stop at an Aurora King Soopers to fetch a few victuals before cruising home. I made my circuit through the store and came to checkout. Because of the hour, all the check stands were closed. I headed to the self serve checkout lanes and they too were all closed with one exception. Standing there, ringing up his own groceries, was an Aurora cop in uniform. He paid me no mind as he continued scanning his goods. The next checklane was opened, and I went to scan my own goodies through so I could bag stuff up. He now was standing directly beside me and the sidearm was on the same side as him. He could not have missed seeing it. But he said nothing at all about it.

But as I left, I had a nice conversation about open carry with a fellow that was sweeping up in the parking lot. He didn't know that open carry is legal here either. I gave him some information and went on home to dry out and call it a day.

So I feel I did my part to spread the word.

I feel it is important to educate our fellow citizens about open carry. The simple matter is, the more law abiding citizens that choose to exercise our right to open carry, the less enthusiastic anybody will be in trying to take that right away. So long as we are few, and lack unity, the easier to pick us off one man at a time. I believe many folks who would carry do not because they simply do not know it is their right. And as has been said by smarter folks than me... a right unused is a right easily abused.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

RFrampton

Sorry I missed the get together. Didn't realise that it would take CBI 2 hours to approve my new girl that I bought.

I've had to re-train several soldiers on Carson about the laws. They all want to apply the laws from their home states or what they "think" they know. Then I hear that 1 guy at the PX gun counter spouting out bad info. I've told his boss and she ensures me that he knows the law. Maybe he knows it and just isn't saying it then?? I even mentioned to someone that since we can't carry on base property then maybe we can have secured lockers where I can leave my pistol when I come on post? A few carriers think it's a great idea. But most agree, just let us carry during the duty day.

I've not had a single negative thing said. A few looks but only from folks that appear to be contemplating no-goodness. Had a 12 year old boy tell me that he prefers Glocks to my Sig. That had me chuckling for hours.

Well, now it's off to purchase a Sig Mosquito for my lil girl so she can start to learn the fundamentals. Maybe I can make the next get-together

michaelm_ski

Makeing the Public Aware of O.C.

If you can try to get a group of open carriers together and notify the media maybe they will do a news update and make the public aware of Open Carry . We did that here in Michigan and our local news stations aired it and I am sure anybody who watched the news or read the news papers got the info , it's the best way to get your message out there and have fun at the same time . :cool:

Beau

I work in a field where most guys have no problems with firearms. A lot of them are shooters and quite a few have their CHP. That said, it amazes me how often I hear people sharing bad information when it comes to owning and carrying firearms. I always try and give the correct information. If I don't know an answer I look it up for them.

At least I get to work with people where firearms are accepted. I would be frustrated with a job where ownership was taboo.

NavyVA

Conflicting reports on Open Carry

M-Taliesin,

I had a nice discussion with a Douglas County Sheriff today at a gas station and asked him about open carry in Denver and surrounding areas. I told him that I was aware of the stipulations for Denver Metro and asked if that was it. He stated that we are good in Douglas County with the exception of Denver and Aurora, which I believe that Aurora is in Arapaho County, correct? Anyway, to your knowledge, it is not prohibited in Aurora? I only ask due to the conflicting report from DCSD.

Thanks!

JamesB

M-Taliesin,

I had a nice discussion with a Douglas County Sheriff today at a gas station and asked him about open carry in Denver and surrounding areas. I told him that I was aware of the stipulations for Denver Metro and asked if that was it. He stated that we are good in Douglas County with the exception of Denver and Aurora, which I believe that Aurora is in Arapaho County, correct? Anyway, to your knowledge, it is not prohibited in Aurora? I only ask due to the conflicting report from DCSD.

Thanks!

I'm not M-T, but I'll chime in here if ya let me.

Aurora actually lies within two different counties last I knew. The split is between Arapahoe and Adams, and occurs pretty much along Colfax if memory serves.

Either way, OC is legal within the boundaries of Aurora.

One should also consider that Aurora just gave Denver more land out by the airport (or so I hear), because the stock show needed more room to expand. I have no information as to when exactly this transaction is to take place or what exactly the boundaries of such are, perhaps someone else has that piece of the puzzle.

JamesB

...I've not had a single negative thing said. A few looks but only from folks that appear to be contemplating no-goodness. Had a 12 year old boy tell me that he prefers Glocks to my Sig. That had me chuckling for hours.

Ha! Even 12 year olds know that you need a new Glock. Hehehehe.

(my 14 year old daughter would tell you that too)

RFrampton

It's amazing what they know at 14, huh? This past Christmas my 14 year old daughter (lives in SC) asked for a silencer for her Browning Buck Mark. I asked her why and she said, "cause the neighbor's dog keeps me awake at night." Now, you can't help but be proud, impressed and a lil concerned at the same time. In the end she didn't get it but she did convince me that it was time to move up from a .22

M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin,

Anyway, to your knowledge, it is not prohibited in Aurora? I only ask due to the conflicting report from DCSD.

Thanks!

Howdy Navy!
I'm afraid your friendly, neighborhood sheriff's deputy is badly mistaken! Aurora is a terrific place to be an open carrier.
In another thread, I posted how I checked out at a King Soopers late one night and an Aurora cop was at the next self serve register to mine. He could not help but see my sidearm, considering it was within easy reach to him. Ne never said a single word about it.

In other episodes with Aurora LEO's, I saw one give me a 'double take' when I was pumping gas in my car, but she kept walking and it was a non-event. On another occassion, an Aurora P.D. drove up to me and asked if I'd seen a particular bit of miscreancy going on in the neighborhood. I hadn't, and we chatted briefly without him saying anything about my sidearm at all. Still another non-event involved an officer coming out in response to a call I made to have a cop drop by and we discussed the issue I felt needed attention. Afterward, we chatted quite a bit about various handguns, what mine is, what kind he carries, about CCW permits, and a range of other topics that were all friendly and positive.

Everywhere I go in Aurora, I open carry. Others do likewise arorund here, and nobody hassles them about it.

Since9 needn't worry about jumping in to answer your question, but I have the additional perspective of living in Aurora. Carry a sidearm responsibly, and you'll have no issues here. It is a very OC friendly environment. Regardless of whether you're in the Adams County part of town or the Arapahoe section. It just don't matter.

Hope that straightens out what was evidently bad info from your friendly deputy from Douglas County, but the only place one needs to fret about OC'ing is in Denver County and City.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

NavyVA

M-T,

Thanks! I just wanted to make sure. I know that a lot of times, you get different answers from different people, who's to say what person is right. Gives me good idea while I continue to read up on the Colorado laws. Little different from Virginia. Only place we couldn't OC was in DC and the standard Fed and school areas, etc.

porterhouse83

Say your stopped by Leo while driving and your open carrying without a permit. Will there be a problem? I know it's ok to carry in your car I just don't know if they expect you to have a ccw if they stop you and your armed. M-T you answered most of my questions today. This question I just thought of.

JamesB

M-T,

Thanks! I just wanted to make sure. I know that a lot of times, you get different answers from different people, who's to say what person is right. Gives me good idea while I continue to read up on the Colorado laws. Little different from Virginia. Only place we couldn't OC was in DC and the standard Fed and school areas, etc.

Mostly Va and Co are the same. Biggest difference that I know of is that here you can conceal while having a beer if you have a permit.

Still can't carry in DC while you are here. hehehehe

JamesB

Say your stopped by Leo while driving and your open carrying without a permit. Will there be a problem? I know it's ok to carry in your car I just don't know if they expect you to have a ccw if they stop you and your armed. M-T you answered most of my questions today. This question I just thought of.

If you are in your vehicle, no permit is required. You are also not required to notify anyone that you are carrying, with or without a permit.

You can find more information on this topic here:
http://www.rmgo.org/gun-law-faqs/carrying-in-a-vehicle

Beau

I am NOT REQUIRED by law to answer any question a LEO askes me, regardless of whether I am armed, or eating strawberries!
Agreed. Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all.

If you feel compelled to respond you can try the all time favorite " I have nothing illegal on me. " I haven't had the chance to use that one but it's there in case I need it.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I am NOT REQUIRED by law to answer any question a LEO askes me, regardless of whether I am armed, or eating strawberries!

And the survey says! XXX

Quote: "Do I have to notify the officer that I am a permit holder and have a weapon if I get pulled over? No, however, if the officer asks you if you have a weapon, you must tell him “yes”. A peace officer may temporarily disarm a permitee, incident to a lawful stop of the permitee. The peace officer shall return the handgun to the permitee prior to discharging the permitee from the scene." Source: El Paso County Sheriff’s Office Concealed Handgun Program flyer.

There's a reg behind it, as well: CRS 18-12-214. Authority granted by permit - carrying restrictions.

(1) (a) A permit to carry a concealed handgun authorizes the permittee to carry a concealed handgun in all areas of the state, except as specifically limited in this section. A permit does not authorize the permittee to use a handgun in a manner that would violate a provision of state law. A local government does not have authority to adopt or enforce an ordinance or resolution that would conflict with any provision of this part 2.

(b) A peace officer may temporarily disarm a permittee, incident to a lawful stop of the permittee. The peace officer shall return the handgun to the permittee prior to discharging the permittee from the scene.

You may be right about not actually having to answer him, but if you fail to provide any answer to the question of "Are you armed?" that raises reasonable suspicion. If you lie and tell him "no," it's a misdemeanor (obstruction of justice).

Or you can simply recognize they're just doing their job in accordance with Colorado State Law and give him a truthful answer. Here in Colorado Springs so many people carry a firearm it's a non-issue.