• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maryland returns unprocessed handgun permit applications

Dreamer

I strongly believe that the MAIN reason the Woollard case isn't getting much play in the media isn't because it ruled in favor of greatly expanded 2A rights in MD, but BECAUSE the plaintiff (Woollard) is a retired, veteran African American. If word got out in MD (and other such places) that there are actually African America citizens who CAN and HAVE got permits in MD and remained law-abiding, and were eventually denied renewal based on nothing more than institutionalized Jim Crow, that would put a pretty big cramp in the style of the Brady's, VPC and their ilk...

Am I playing the race card in this case? Hell, yeah, every chance I get. Because I think we ALL know why Woollard was denied his second renewal--and it WASN'T because of the "content of his character"...

Sig229

I strongly believe that the MAIN reason the Woollard case isn't getting much play in the media isn't because it ruled in favor of greatly expanded 2A rights in MD, but BECAUSE the plaintiff (Woollard) is a retired, veteran African American. If word got out in MD (and other such places) that there are actually African America citizens who CAN and HAVE got permits in MD and remained law-abiding, and were eventually denied renewal based on nothing more than institutionalized Jim Crow, that would put a pretty big cramp in the style of the Brady's, VPC and their ilk...

Am I playing the race card in this case? Hell, yeah, every chance I get. Because I think we ALL know why Woollard was denied his second renewal--and it WASN'T because of the "content of his character"...

True.

Also, think about this.
As you know the MDSP and the Baltimore PD get HUGE federal grants for crime fighting. Also, they get more funding from the state as well.

If they did allow law abiding people to carry, as we all know the crime rate would in fact go down.
Whats that mean? Less justification for all that funding.

I can drive for hours around the city of Pittsburgh and maybe see one or two cop cars. In Maryland , you cant drive five minutes without one riding your bumper for 30 miles. They are everywhere down there.

Just a thought.

Mr H

Testify, Brother!

Not only have MSP and AG Gansler decided to thumb their noses at the Federal Court and show their utter contempt for the US Constitution, they are now operating the permit process in violation of MD State Statutes.

Yeah, this is going to get REAL interesting...

Well, we now know that the instance I cited before was "bad timing"... It really was submitted after the stay, and processed in-kind with others receiving the "non-denial denial letter"

But, regardless, MSP fails to disappoint in their game-playing.

Today, we hear that an FTF interview included a comment by the interviewing Trooper that the applicant should soon be receiving a letter requesting G&S for further processing.

Barnum would be an eager student for this one.....

Last edited:

Dreamer

Today, we hear that an FTF interview included a comment by the interviewing Trooper that the applicant should soon be receiving a letter requesting G&S for further processing.

That interviewee should have Alan Gura hand-deliver his letter--and it should consist of nothing but the text of the Second Amendment in 72pt type.

And there should be a press team with a video camera there to document the whole thing, and post it on YouTube...

mrjam2jab

They didn't return the fingerprinting fees. This also violates COMAR. They are required to accept and process those applications regardless of how they feel about it.

Everyone who applied using "self defense" knew that they would probably lose the app fee and the fingerprinting fees.

They can't return what they never had. MD requires resident prints be taken by an outside contractor. The applicant pays the contractor.

Sonora Rebel

It's small wonder when people move here from MD and find that none of this nonsense exists to carry a sidearm (or any other) that their heads explode. Even better when passing a Deputy or DPS officer... or even the Border Patrol 'n Park Rangers (openly armed) and the cop sez... Hi! (if anything at all).

From my perpective now... it sounds like a foreign country.

Mr H

No, that looks like America and Maryland resembles a foreign country!

When I go back to MD and tell friends how OC is legal w/o a permit in my state and many others, they almost cant believe it.

I was in PA all day today, and almost felt naked without a sidearm.

But, I was among good folk, and quickly forgot about it.

Last edited:

Sonora Rebel

'Some states... folks have mutiple statutes memorized like defense lawyers. Seriously complicated and unnecessary legal 'clutter'. 'Shall not be infringed' Real simple language.

I don't believe in permits or license in the free exercise of an enumerated civil right. It's that simple. Tyranny takes all forms. Denial, regulation of the 2A is one of 'em.

Dreamer

You can easily get a non-resident PA permit. Hell, its only $20.

PA changed their permit issuance policies last year. You can no longer do mail-in applications, the excuse being that they are using new cards (plastic IDs like a DL) and their system requires that they take your picture themselves.

Actually the REAL reason is that the counties (like around Philly, and Pittsburgh) that do not follow strict PA "shall issue" policy were getting pissed that counties like Center County were raking in tens of thousands of dollars each year on permits, and decided the way to fix the problem was NOT to just follow the law themselves and issue permits like everyone else, but to pass a law that made it nearly impossible for Center County to cash in on their permit issuance.

UT issues plastic ID cards for their permits, and they allow you to mail them a passport photo and it looks just fine on the card. So the excuse that PA is giving for changing the process is 100% BS...

My PA permit expires in 2014, and I'll have to drive all the way up there to renew it IN PERSON because they need to take my picture themselves to issue the new card.

I am not amused...

Last edited:

Dreamer

That's not a change...always been that way. Must have a home state permit if your home state issues such.

But the requirement to apply in person so they can take your photo IS a change, and it was pushed into law by the counties that don't like to issue non-resident permits because they were jealous of the income stream that counties like Center County had created by following the PA state law and issuing them in Shall-Issue fashion...