• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Never hit a woman.

Tucker6900

My question to you is: Should a man never strike a woman for any reason or are there times when it is called for?

Mostly I am just curious to see how many here, if indeed anyone, feels that it is always wrong to hit a woman.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

The only people who should never be hit, for any reason, are children. That is my personal opinion.

When it comes to women, I treat them a little different than men for one reason only. I am 6'4" tall and 230lbs. There are not many, if any at all, women that are even close to my size. I am physically stronger and more capable of causing damage to a woman than a man. Now, given the situation, I believe I would be able to defend myself without hitting a woman. However, if it comes to the point where I need to, I will.

bigdaddy1

Not having the patience to read through each of the responses, so it may have been stated already. There are no such thing as an all encompasing rules, and circumstances will dictate the necessary action. First off it is not right for anyone to hit anyone, regardless of gender, but if a woman is the agressor and attacking I would do what was necessary to stop the attack. If that meant hitting back I most certainly would.

Jack House

I don't really care about size, age or gender. If someone is attacking me, I will use the level of force necessitated to end the encounter.

@Logan; it's not that I didn't like your answer, it's that it didn't answer the question I put forth. It was also pretty vague and as such could be easily distorted. That's what I was trying to say.

Logan 5

What if she don't make that sandwich you told her to make for you? Is it OK then?
Nope. In all the years I was either married or dating, I never "told" my wife or GFs what to do. More like "Honey, could you fix me a sandwich, please?" If you treat a woman like property, that's inhumane. They are not physical property. They are humans. They can be really annoying at times, yes. But that never justifies doing anything cruel to them.

I don't really care about size, age or gender. If someone is attacking me, I will use the level of force necessitated to end the encounter.
Sometimes the best action is to just walk away. And what is even better than that is "scene triage". The best way to deal with trouble is to avoid it. Look at the scene and environment you are going into and ask yourself "is there a chance for a conflict or not?", and then, if the answer is "yes", ask yourself "is what I want here/to do here WORTH a fight, or is there a better time to come by?" Going into a fight is not any show of manhood. In some instances it may be the best option before you, but that is very rare (unless you're a cop or in a war). And if the person is your GF, you have no business getting into an argument or fight where a violent outcome is likely.

@Logan; it's not that I didn't like your answer, it's that it didn't answer the question I put forth. It was also pretty vague and as such could be easily distorted. That's what I was trying to say.
I don't see it as vague. Do you prefer being treated like a lower form of life?

bigdaddy1

If you hit a woman in anger you lose the right to be treated like a human.

Wouldnt the same be said about a woman hitting a man in anger? You're attempting to over simplify a situation.

There are prison cells full of "women" that have kiled their partners, in some very brutal ways. How do you classify them?

Last edited:

gunns

Well I had to think about this one. When I was ten I was beaten really bad by a teenage girl of about 16. She accused me of beating her brother up, I didn't even know her or her brother. Anyways, while she is hitting for about the 20th time my brother walks by (he's about 17) and yells at me, if she wants to fight like a man, hit her back like a man. So's I hit her right in the mouth as hard as I could, by this time I am pretty bloody. She goes down like a bag of wet cement. She was about a foot and half taller and about 80 lbs heavier then me, but I guess I connected really good. She didn't move for about 30 seconds, started balling and got up to run home.

I got home, fat lips, black eyes and my mom had been called by the girls mom. My mom beat the **** out of me for hitting a girl.

So what do I believe about hitting a female of any age. Well let me say this. If she is as tall as me or bigger and she hits me for no reason, she's not going to able to eat solid food for weeks. Period, end of subject. If she even slaps me for no reason, she's eating through a straw. That said, if I was out of line, I will take a slap, but that has never happened. I treat all women like they are my sisters. This goes the same for men (oops, I don't treat men like my sisters LOL).

If someone tries to commit violence against you there is no time to gauge reaction. You need to drop them. I am small, so getting in fights usually gets me messed up. When I was in the Marine Corp, I was always picked out of the crowd for someone to pick on, I didn't tolerate it then, I will not tolerate now. I have scars on my hands from big bullies teeth. One had to be picked out between my knuckles by the Medic, it was stuck.

I don't go looking for a fight, but if it happens, it ends quickly, usually only a few seconds. I don't do the get in your face dance either, if someone gets in my face saying they are going to do me harm, I drop them. I have to, if I don't and they get in the first punch I may end up dead, I am too damn small to let a big guy get the advantage.

Sorry for preaching.

Last edited:

Jack House

I'm not sure that a broken jaw is an appropriate response to a slap.

I get slapped all the time, sometimes for no reason. But I just shrug it off. :D

Jack House

@Logan, I forgot to mention that I avoid fights like the plague. I believe I have mentioned this a few times in the past. Thought I mentioned it in this thread, but maybe not.

I don't want to hurt anyone, especially if it can be avoided. If I am being attacked then, unless it is a surprise attack, I have already exhausted all options. Ergo, force is the only option that remains.

As to the vagueness of your original post, I've already pointed that out.

Freedom1Man

Equal rights not special rights is my stand on this issue.

Women want to treated the same as men then fair is fair. She clobbers me, and since I am fine with equal rights, I am fine with clobbering back. That being said I have absorbed enough punches and assaults from men and women. I will only attack (use force against them in self defense) if I believe I need to.

I keep a tight rein on my anger and if I need to defend myself in such away that I need to start throwing punches then I go for it like it's life or death then I stop feeling pain and I don't care who the person is race, creed, color, gender, sexual preference, etc I don't care. If you've done enough to provoke me to throw punches, and that is not an easy thing to do, then I will do it.

Part of the reason I open carry is to help avoid those situations. People take one look and tend to not want to start anything with me. Name calling and snide comments aside.

Last edited:

Aknazer

I agree with equal opportunity. Part of that is I'm going to defend myself against a woman the same way I would against a man. I'm not going to start a fight and I've never been the one to throw the first punch (closest thing I've done to throwing the first punch was "accidentally" pegging a kid in the back of the head with a dodgeball after he had been excessively physical for most of the game). Women (or really anyone) can't cry for "equal treatment" and then expected to be treated differently when it suits them.

Deanimator

I don't associate with people who substitute force for reason. If you do, I don't need to be around you. Back in '86 my mother tried that when I was living with her in Chicago. She didn't see me again for thirteen years.

I have more than enough tools in my bag of tricks that I'd probably not need to HIT a woman who struck me. I know a LOT of painful techniques that don't involve HITTING somebody. Of course these days, the one who calls the cops first is the victim. Strike me and you get a domestic beef and shown the door. No do-overs. I'd expect the same from a woman were I to act in a similar manner.

The above presumes some sort of negative interaction with a soon to be FORMER "friend". A stranger committing a violent crime against me gets whatever they need to no longer be a threat, whether it's a gyaku gote or a bullet in the face.

Logan 5

@Logan, I forgot to mention that I avoid fights like the plague. I believe I have mentioned this a few times in the past. Thought I mentioned it in this thread, but maybe not.

I don't want to hurt anyone, especially if it can be avoided. If I am being attacked then, unless it is a surprise attack, I have already exhausted all options. Ergo, force is the only option that remains.

As to the vagueness of your original post, I've already pointed that out.

No, I didn't catch that. I stand by what I said, but I also follow up with "each situation should be dealt with on an individual basis." If your wife is mad at you and starts slapping you, do what you have to do to defend yourself. How you do that is up to you. Maybe just walk away. Maybe slap the snot out of her instead. I dunno. I won't tell you how you *must* handle stuff like that, it's your choice. Just as how I handle mine is my choice.

ramkatral

I can take a slap or a shove and walk away. My philosophy: if she is man enough to ball up her fists and start hitting me, she's man enough to get her ass beat like a man.

Logan 5

There are prison cells full of "women" that have kiled their partners, in some very brutal ways. How do you classify them?
Who am I to judge them? I wasn't there and I don't know them or their cases.