• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Experts say rigorous training needed to prepare gun owners, MkeJS (above the fold).

Jack House

Pretty sure that sitting in a class room for 15 hours, listening to a man drone on and on about the million dollar legal defense for an SD did plenty warn me of the hazards with pulling the trigger.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

ncwabbit

was an interesting article until they extensively wove multiple paragraphs about FL's T/M shooting and tying that incident to other state shooting into the story...and then off on the 'bad' laws of CD, make my day, stand...ad nausm.

sigh

wabbit

PS is the poor worman in the foto in pain? look at her facial expression...

Last edited:

MamaLiberty

Didn't read the article. I've seen far too many of that sort already.

Bottom line is that learning to shoot and handle a gun are relatively simple things. Almost anyone can do that in a fairly short time.

The rest, learning when to shoot, when not to shoot and all of the other things that are a part of good judgment and interpersonal relationships take a lot more time. None of those things are limited to the use of a gun. Learning good judgment and being willing to exercise the same has to be the theme of one's whole life.

Most of the screams demanding extensive "training" seem to spring from the desire of some to be part of an exclusive club, or to limit the choices of others one way or another. The fact is that most ordinary people who actually do manage to use a gun for self defense have little or no such "training" at all... just the will and the means to survive.

zekester

Am I not correct that the Police are only required to qualify twice a year with their firearm....I "qualify" at minimum once a month!!

davidmcbeth

Banned
Odd there is no legal requirement for a cop to undergo any training at all. Show me the statues that require this? There are none.

MamaLiberty

Am I not correct that the Police are only required to qualify twice a year with their firearm....I "qualify" at minimum once a month!!

"Qualify?" By what criteria? To satisfy whom? Statistically, most "cops" are lousy shots and many are seriously negligent. Their "training" is either no help or irrelevant.

If you choose to shoot (by whatever standards) and at whatever interval, it has nothing to do with what some self appointed "experts" decide is "needed" for anyone else. I'm glad you train that much, by whatever standards seem good to you. Others will have different needs and standards.

The point is that very little formal or professional training is actually required for ordinary people to successfully and safely keep or carry guns for self defense. Otherwise there would be a great many people NOT being successful, or harming themselves and others with guns negligently - ... and that is simply not the case.

j4l

Didn't read the article. I've seen far too many of that sort already.

Bottom line is that learning to shoot and handle a gun are relatively simple things. Almost anyone can do that in a fairly short time.

The rest, learning when to shoot, when not to shoot and all of the other things that are a part of good judgment and interpersonal relationships take a lot more time. None of those things are limited to the use of a gun. Learning good judgment and being willing to exercise the same has to be the theme of one's whole life.

Most of the screams demanding extensive "training" seem to spring from the desire of some to be part of an exclusive club, or to limit the choices of others one way or another. The fact is that most ordinary people who actually do manage to use a gun for self defense have little or no such "training" at all... just the will and the means to survive.

Actually, I think it has 2-parts.
1) make it difficult enough/enough of a pain in the ass, that enough folks just wont bother-thus, exluding folks that way.
2) for those who do subject themselves to it, voluntarily, it's yet another way for a State to make $$ in fees, handling fees, license fees, fees for the licensing of "instructors" and "schools", and all that crap-ol-a.
Apart from some professions -(Dr.s, Brain-Surgeons, etc.) the whole "license" scam is just that- a scam, to make $$$ of the people.

MamaLiberty

Actually, I think it has 2-parts.
1) make it difficult enough/enough of a pain in the ass, that enough folks just wont bother-thus, exluding folks that way.
2) for those who do subject themselves to it, voluntarily, it's yet another way for a State to make $$ in fees, handling fees, license fees, fees for the licensing of "instructors" and "schools", and all that crap-ol-a.
Apart from some professions -(Dr.s, Brain-Surgeons, etc.) the whole "license" scam is just that- a scam, to make $$$ of the people.

There is that part too in some places. :) I teach basic pistol and self defense. I don't make much more than the material costs from the classes. :) The "state" is not involved in any of our firearms training here, thank goodness. No "licenses" required at all.

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
I'd bet these same experts would howl and scream if we required them to get a license and extensive training to practice free speech. And be trained to properly right and use punctuation, grammar, and such. Too many seem to what to restrict our 2nd Amendment rights but will not stand for the same thing to be applied to the 1st Amendment.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
They fail to mention that police officers have many more known negligent discharges every year than citizens, they kill many more innocent people every year than citizens do, and they have a higher accident rate with weapons than citizens do. There are less than a million Leo's, and over 90,000,000 citizens who own firearms, probably double that when you count people who live in a house with firearms.

Eeyore

I'd bet these same experts would howl and scream if we required them to get a license and extensive training to practice free speech. And be trained to properly right and use punctuation, grammar, and such. Too many seem to what to restrict our 2nd Amendment rights but will not stand for the same thing to be applied to the 1st Amendment.

KimberCarrier, your 1st Amendment rights are revoked. You misspelled "write."

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Kimber, Eeyore and Citizen:

Your First Amendment rights are revoked because I am offended.

That's how it is supposed to be done.:p

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
skidmark,

Your First Amendment rights are revoked because you desired to be offended by protected speech.

Now that is the first acceptable reason mentioned for revoking a right. Not that I am guilty of unreasonable and irrational demands for things to go "my way or the highway" or anything.:lol: But it's an acceptable reason - if applied within reason.

stay safe.

randian

As I understand it, they intend to use "extensive training", with its attendant costs and inconveniences, as a form of poll tax. Too bad they are rarely honest enough to admit it when directly questioned.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
DANGER...DANGER...DANGER WILL ROBINSON....
PERSONAL OPINION, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

It is my personal opinion that firearms and firearms safety should be taught in the public school system. Not as a sport, like baseball or hocky, but a real core skill. Like reading or mathematics. It should be in early middle school and uniform in its instruction. Just saying.
My Mother taught me starting at age seven.