Thread: Iowa cc

Iowa cc

Three questions:
    Does Iowa allow CC?
    If so, do they require a permission slip?
    If so does a WI ccl work?
    Planning a trip to see family. I know OC is legal but there isn't a map for CC on ocdo.

Edit: just noticed http://opencarry.org/travel.html sort of answered my question but it's not accurate for wi(colored red) so I want to make sure for Iowa.
    Last edited by Sorcice; 04-15-2012 at 09:31 AM.

IA is pretty much like WI, but I think they need a permission slip to carry openly or concealed.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/iowa.pdf
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Iowa honors permits from all states.

For more details, here's ONE source of info: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/iowa.pdf

I also like the smartphone app "CCW - Concealed Carry 50 State" by Workman Consulting https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ryan.ccw&hl=en
    This one updates farily regularly, and I haven't found any conflicting info when comparing to Handgunlaw.us. It also contains links that will take you directly to the state's own websites for more info.

Ok cool so I should be fine with my wi ccl.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcice View Post
    Ok cool so I should be fine with my wi ccl.
    thanks for asking i will be going through iowa in a few weeks and visit girl friends family once in a while over there and good to know what is needed etc

Campaign Veteran
    Definitely research it. There are a few more restrictions that you will need to be aware of (that magical bubble around school zones is back, and you'll end up in trouble if you are carrying)

Research it carefully. Both http://www.handgunlaw.us/ and the https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nJ5YW4uY2N3Il0 Droid app are nice additions.
    You can speak softy and carry a big stick, but I'll stick to my guns.

Member - Wisconsin Carry, Inc. http://ww.wisconsincarry.org
    Member of West Bend Barton Sportsman's Club - http://www.wbbsc.com

Quote Originally Posted by TaurusToter View Post
    Definitely research it. There are a few more restrictions that you will need to be aware of (that magical bubble around school zones is back, and you'll end up in trouble if you are carrying)

Research it carefully. Both http://www.handgunlaw.us/ and the https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nJ5YW4uY2N3Il0 Droid app are nice additions.
    even with a ccw card you have to avoid school zones?????

Campaign Veteran
    In most cases, yes. Definitely double check before you go.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    You can speak softy and carry a big stick, but I'll stick to my guns.

Member - Wisconsin Carry, Inc. http://ww.wisconsincarry.org
    Member of West Bend Barton Sportsman's Club - http://www.wbbsc.com

Here's An Idea

Instead of pursuing dangerous (and unconstitutional) laws like mandatory recognition, let's get Congress to amend 18 USC 921-922 to authorize states that recognize permits from elsewhere to make the 1000' bubble ok for holders of those permits. States can already make school grounds off limits despite the federal exception for resident permitee, why not let their judgment prevail on out of state license holders?

Quote Originally Posted by apjonas View Post
    Instead of pursuing dangerous (and unconstitutional) laws like mandatory recognition, let's get Congress to amend 18 USC 921-922 to authorize states that recognize permits from elsewhere to make the 1000' bubble ok for holders of those permits. States can already make school grounds off limits despite the federal exception for resident permitee, why not let their judgment prevail on out of state license holders?

NO No No...Work on you cangress man to just get rid of that bubblegum! If your congressman won't, get another one.

If only there was a way not to have to worry about such questions. Something like a national reciprocity law. ;-)

This is absolutely not correct, and reflects an incorrect reading/understanding of the way the law is written in Iowa. The so-called "gun free school zone" only applies if one is committing a crime, and is only a penalty enhancer, and has no penalty in and of itself. Only the real property of a school matters in Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by amaixner View Post
    This is absolutely not correct, and reflects an incorrect reading/understanding of the way the law is written in Iowa. The so-called "gun free school zone" only applies if one is committing a crime, and is only a penalty enhancer, and has no penalty in and of itself. Only the real property of a school matters in Iowa.
    In IA, but not according to the federal government.

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Not a Panacea

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    If only there was a way not to have to worry about such questions. Something like a national reciprocity law. ;-)
    A national reciprocity law would not negate the GFSZ nor any other federal law. It also doesn't impact state laws on cc other than eligibility (a state that prohibits carry within 50' of hot dog stands could enforce that restriction the new federal law notwithstanding). The version that I read also does not apply to a state (only IL now) that prohibits cc. Illinois is difficulty to avoid when traveling cross country anywhere north of about 35 degrees. You can bet that several other states (NY, MD, NJ, HA, for starters) would abandon their permit systems, outlawing cc except for certain "officials" - and of course, everybody with a connection could be named the fifth secretary to the governor for public security at $1/year. This is addition to national reciprocity serving to legitimize Congress' "authority" to regulate carry - of any kind. Why not just turn the states into subunits of the central government? Everything would be nice and uniform..and subject to the prevailing wind in Washington. I gotta think that national reciprocity has very little practical impact on most people, it's just a symbolic battle for most. Really - how is you life going to be changed with national recognition of permits?

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    So, I would like to know has anyone (in the whole country) ever been convicted of a Federal GFSZ violation by itself (in other words not in connection with some other felony)?

In some jurisdictions spitting on the street or sidewalk is still an offense, but one that is never enforced.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dipper View Post
    So, I would like to know has anyone (in the whole country) ever been convicted of a Federal GFSZ violation by itself (in other words not in connection with some other felony)?

In some jurisdictions spitting on the street or sidewalk is still an offense, but one that is never enforced.
    Outside of committing another felony, not that I'm aware of.

Gfsz...

Here's something I found in a search...

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/supremecourt...ndmark_us.html
    IF YOU WANT TO BURN OUR AMERICAN FLAG, PLEASE WRAP YOURSELF UP IN IT FIRST...

Quote Originally Posted by amaixner View Post
    Also a permitted person can carry on school grounds in Iowa with permission of the school administrator, but I can't picture them giving permission.

You'd probably get better response (and from people who have to live with the laws) if this were in the Iowa forum.

Cite please?

The 1000ft zone is nothing more than a penalty enhancer. Carrying with 1000 is fine, stay off of real property...

IANAL and this advice is advice only.....
    You can carry just about anywhere in Iowa. Concealed or otherwise, except for schools or federal property. If a business is posted no guns, those signs hold no weight of law and are enter at your own risk, as private property rules apply. I have open carried practically everywhere in the Washington/Iowa City/Coralville area without a problem.
    Last edited by Tucker6900; 08-19-2013 at 03:11 PM.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Federal rules (unconstitutionally) apply to real property of a school...

Otherwise, every person who lived within 1000 feet of a school and owned a firearm that was kept on the premises would be in violation.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Quote Originally Posted by shawn wade View Post
    Also a permitted person can carry on school grounds in Iowa with permission of the school administrator, but I can't picture them giving permission.
    I know of one who allows it...

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    Federal rules (unconstitutionally) apply to real property of a school...

Otherwise, every person who lived within 1000 feet of a school and owned a firearm that was kept on the premises would be in violation.
    Not so. The law has certain exemptions:

http://www.gunlaws.com/Gun_Free_School_Zones_Act.pdf

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
    (i) on private property not part of school grounds;
    (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
    (iii) that is—
    (I) not loaded; and
    (II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
    (iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
    (v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;
    (vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
    (vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.
    So, in / on private property? Fine.
    On public street or sidewalk or park, whatever, that is within 1,000 feet of the boundary of the school property? Not so fine, unless you have a license to carry issued by the state in which the school zone is located or the firearm is unloaded and in a locked container, etc.

That's what the law says - enforcement is another matter of course.
    Last edited by JustaShooter; 08-19-2013 at 03:41 PM.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.