• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Iowa cc

Sorcice

Three questions:
Does Iowa allow CC?
If so, do they require a permission slip?
If so does a WI ccl work?
Planning a trip to see family. I know OC is legal but there isn't a map for CC on ocdo.

Edit: just noticed http://opencarry.org/travel.html sort of answered my question but it's not accurate for wi(colored red) so I want to make sure for Iowa.

Last edited:

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran

carpman15

apjonas

Here's An Idea

Instead of pursuing dangerous (and unconstitutional) laws like mandatory recognition, let's get Congress to amend 18 USC 921-922 to authorize states that recognize permits from elsewhere to make the 1000' bubble ok for holders of those permits. States can already make school grounds off limits despite the federal exception for resident permitee, why not let their judgment prevail on out of state license holders?

hermannr

Instead of pursuing dangerous (and unconstitutional) laws like mandatory recognition, let's get Congress to amend 18 USC 921-922 to authorize states that recognize permits from elsewhere to make the 1000' bubble ok for holders of those permits. States can already make school grounds off limits despite the federal exception for resident permitee, why not let their judgment prevail on out of state license holders?

NO No No...Work on you cangress man to just get rid of that bubblegum! If your congressman won't, get another one.

TyGuy

If only there was a way not to have to worry about such questions. Something like a national reciprocity law. ;-)

amaixner

Definitely research it. There are a few more restrictions that you will need to be aware of (that magical bubble around school zones is back, and you'll end up in trouble if you are carrying)

This is absolutely not correct, and reflects an incorrect reading/understanding of the way the law is written in Iowa. The so-called "gun free school zone" only applies if one is committing a crime, and is only a penalty enhancer, and has no penalty in and of itself. Only the real property of a school matters in Iowa.

protias

This is absolutely not correct, and reflects an incorrect reading/understanding of the way the law is written in Iowa. The so-called "gun free school zone" only applies if one is committing a crime, and is only a penalty enhancer, and has no penalty in and of itself. Only the real property of a school matters in Iowa.

In IA, but not according to the federal government.

apjonas

Not a Panacea

If only there was a way not to have to worry about such questions. Something like a national reciprocity law. ;-)

A national reciprocity law would not negate the GFSZ nor any other federal law. It also doesn't impact state laws on cc other than eligibility (a state that prohibits carry within 50' of hot dog stands could enforce that restriction the new federal law notwithstanding). The version that I read also does not apply to a state (only IL now) that prohibits cc. Illinois is difficulty to avoid when traveling cross country anywhere north of about 35 degrees. You can bet that several other states (NY, MD, NJ, HA, for starters) would abandon their permit systems, outlawing cc except for certain "officials" - and of course, everybody with a connection could be named the fifth secretary to the governor for public security at $1/year. This is addition to national reciprocity serving to legitimize Congress' "authority" to regulate carry - of any kind. Why not just turn the states into subunits of the central government? Everything would be nice and uniform..and subject to the prevailing wind in Washington. I gotta think that national reciprocity has very little practical impact on most people, it's just a symbolic battle for most. Really - how is you life going to be changed with national recognition of permits?

Big Dipper

In IA, but not according to the federal government.

So, I would like to know has anyone (in the whole country) ever been convicted of a Federal GFSZ violation by itself (in other words not in connection with some other felony)?

In some jurisdictions spitting on the street or sidewalk is still an offense, but one that is never enforced.

protias

So, I would like to know has anyone (in the whole country) ever been convicted of a Federal GFSZ violation by itself (in other words not in connection with some other felony)?

In some jurisdictions spitting on the street or sidewalk is still an offense, but one that is never enforced.

Outside of committing another felony, not that I'm aware of.

shawn wade

Also a permitted person can carry on school grounds in Iowa with permission of the school administrator, but I can't picture them giving permission.

Tucker6900

Definitely research it. There are a few more restrictions that you will need to be aware of (that magical bubble around school zones is back, and you'll end up in trouble if you are carrying)

Research it carefully. Both http://www.handgunlaw.us/ and the https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ryan.ccw&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsInJ5YW4uY2N3Il0 Droid app are nice additions.

Cite please?

The 1000ft zone is nothing more than a penalty enhancer. Carrying with 1000 is fine, stay off of real property...

IANAL and this advice is advice only.....
You can carry just about anywhere in Iowa. Concealed or otherwise, except for schools or federal property. If a business is posted no guns, those signs hold no weight of law and are enter at your own risk, as private property rules apply. I have open carried practically everywhere in the Washington/Iowa City/Coralville area without a problem.

Last edited: