• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Connecticut Carry - The unconcealed [open] carry of firearms in Connecticut

davidmcbeth

Banned
.the real crazy part is that I can buy an "assault weapon" as long as it is not banned by name in the statutes and it was manufactured prior to 9/1994..

And you can actually thank that to the Benjamin case which struck down the vagueness of the wording of the statue.

I recently read NJ AWB and they have similar language .. I wonder if theirs passed muster in the NJ courts?

If course, the Benjamin case concurred with IL case law that was struck down (ie CT supreme court never considered the 2nd amendment, only our constitution). So the Benji case is toast. Problem is you'll either need to go to federal court or all the way up to CT supreme court before an appeal to SCOTUS ... since one can get an identical weapon anyway nobody has been bothered to do so yet.

A M16/AR15? I'm a wicked shot with one with iron sights, sweet guns (ya just gotta clean them and oil them properly or else they'll jam) -- I've seen copies sold at Dick's and other mom & pop gun shops... its nice to see our local PDs are stocking up on them in towns with rampant crime, like East Windsor. Do you think the feds give away stuff & expect nothing in return? Hahahaha ... but don't blame me, I voted for Kang ! And I actually put in a certificate application to buy a AR15 several years ago .. DESPP & me had fun over that... The AWB is clearly unconstitutional.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Amen brother - well put...thanks

And thank you grapeshot and loneEchoWolf

That took me a long time to write ! So thanks for the note !

I have the most horrible non-technical writing skills & most of my writing is to people in France, they actually like my writing style... and man they love to argue. If they were able to own guns and a 45 v 9mm debate post was made I would guess it would zip up to 1000 posts in 10 minutes (and with only 3 guys posting!).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That took me a long time to write ! So thanks for the note !

I have the most horrible non-technical writing skills & most of my writing is to people in France, they actually like my writing style... and man they love to argue. If they were able to own guns and a 45 v 9mm debate post was made I would guess it would zip up to 1000 posts in 10 minutes (and with only 3 guys posting!).

We been cautioned 10,000 times to not exaggerate and just stick to the facts :p

KennyB

And you can actually thank that to the Benjamin case which struck down the vagueness of the wording of the statue.

I recently read NJ AWB and they have similar language .. I wonder if theirs passed muster in the NJ courts?

If course, the Benjamin case concurred with IL case law that was struck down (ie CT supreme court never considered the 2nd amendment, only our constitution). So the Benji case is toast. Problem is you'll either need to go to federal court or all the way up to CT supreme court before an appeal to SCOTUS ... since one can get an identical weapon anyway nobody has been bothered to do so yet.

A M16/AR15? I'm a wicked shot with one with iron sights, sweet guns (ya just gotta clean them and oil them properly or else they'll jam) -- I've seen copies sold at Dick's and other mom & pop gun shops... its nice to see our local PDs are stocking up on them in towns with rampant crime, like East Windsor. Do you think the feds give away stuff & expect nothing in return? Hahahaha ... but don't blame me, I voted for Kang ! And I actually put in a certificate application to buy a AR15 several years ago .. DESPP & me had fun over that... The AWB is clearly unconstitutional.

I have a friend who lives in East Windsor. Big farm town. Tell me, what's all the rampant crime there, kids partying too hard or maybe some cow tipping?? ;)

KennyB

Probably M4's. Not sure if any LEO are issued M-16's around here. Either way, considering what i've heard about that dept, being issued these is a lil scary, lol. Especially without proper training. I can't tell ya how many hours I trained with my GI issued M-16A1, and A2's. Knew those things like the back of my hand. Wouldn't mind having one now but who the hell can afford the $15k asking price for one. ;) Plus don't really like the loss of some freedom having a class 3 weapon and the tax stamp requirement. I'll stick to my lowly M4, lol.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Probably M4's. Not sure if any LEO are issued M-16's around here. Either way, considering what i've heard about that dept, being issued these is a lil scary, lol. Especially without proper training. I can't tell ya how many hours I trained with my GI issued M-16A1, and A2's. Knew those things like the back of my hand. Wouldn't mind having one now but who the hell can afford the $15k asking price for one. ;) Plus don't really like the loss of some freedom having a class 3 weapon and the tax stamp requirement. I'll stick to my lowly M4, lol.

Well, M4s would be a better choice .. but the feds generally were only giving away M16s .. some PDs have them sawed down. I remember a callus on my face from shooting the M16s so much ! Why would you ban a weapon that many people have been trained to shoot .. I guess they don't want accurate shooting! Interestingly, O'Baamalalas administration put the brakes on the gun-give-away program this JUN, citing "irregularities" .. some PDs would get free guns and turn around and sell them to the general public hahahaha ! See-some PDs are cool. (none around me though - all a bunch of fuddity-duddties, ya can't have a M16 in CT lot, and wats not) ...

Want a ar15 to be like a M16 .. get that new bump stock ... cool, but ~$500. I tried one, works like a charm. bumpity bump bump (waste of ammo but its fun!) ... I like a longer barrel to shoot birds that invade my airspace! (just kidding!-I don't shoot birds).

I wonder if anyone has a bump trigger attachment for my 357 ... man that would be sweet ! bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang -- "you be super-dead now - you hoodlum !" also need a holster for it...

Keep the faith brother !

Last edited:

Rich B

I emailed ya

Thank you. I sent you some information and such.

I think we should all be careful about pig piling onto any LEO who reaches out to us. Lets try and work with people and see how we can all have mutually beneficial relationships.

I have met bad cops before, I am often the first to call them out and I don't hesitate to bash them when I think it is necessary. But a friendly LEO reaching out to us to suggest to us where we could direct some effort is a plus on both sides.

Certainly not trying to be preachy or holier than thou or anything, but so far, I see a good person who is trying to help his fellow officers and trying to help us understand where some of the problems lie. I will be doing my best to work with him and anyone else who feels it is important to actually put some effort into these issues that affect us all.

As always, Connecticut Carry needs help from people, and will always keep everyone up to date on progress and areas of our work.

If you think you can provide assistance, our door is always open:

info [at] ctcarry.com
(866) 821-3663
ctcarry.com

KennyB

I agree Rich. The LEO's i've met have been very cordial and didn't have a problem with me OC'ing (East Hartford, and Manchester). Thanks to you and many others, the legality of OC in CT is becoming more and more "known" to the public and LE agencies around the state. I too was told by my instructor (many years ago) when going for my permit that OC'ing in CT would get you a ride to jail for BOP. I think many (permit holders) still believe that OC is illegal. To bad I can't find my certificate as I would love to ask him today his thoughts on OC. Oh well, keep up the good work and thanks for all you've done and are doing now for gun rights here in CT.

LQM

This is my first post here, and I have to take a minute to give a little bit of defense to LEOs. I've read several posts on this site, and I find it a very interesting topic. I have learned quite a bit here.

Luckyykid, welcome aboard.

Your fresh take is welcomed here. I like that you took the initiative to inform yourself on the issue of open carry, or carry in general in the non-LEO community. My neighbor is also LEO and while we haven't yet delved deeply into the topic of open carry, he doesn't seem at all put off that I own and carry firearms; though he still tends to go into "cop mode" when he realizes that I am. But that's okay, it's the training, I understand. Still, that he is open to the concept is encouraging.

I don't want to be long winded and repeat what others have already said, so thank you again for your take on the issue, and I look forward to reading more of it.

LQM