• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Connecticut Carry - State Background Check Fees for Temporary State Pistol Permits

Rich B

Research shows towns collected approximately $1.5 million from unsuspecting permit applicants for the state.

Connecticut, April 15, 2011:

Since October 1, 2009 the Department of Public Safety (now DESPP) has been collecting an unlawful tax on the right to bear arms in Connecticut. The DESPP has utilized the local issuing authorities in towns across Connecticut as agents of the state to collect a $50 state background check fee.

Local police departments are authorized by law to request and receive state background checks at no cost and do so on a regular basis. Prior to October 1, 2009 this fee exemption was exercised in the investigation into the background of permit applicants. DESPP changed the permit process without authorization from our state legislators who represent the citizens of Connecticut. This amounts to a de facto tax on the right to bear arms protected by Article 1, Section 15 of the Connecticut Constitution without the representation found in the legislature.

Since October 1, 2009 there have been over $1.5 million in these fees collected.

Connecticut Carry has sent a demand to cease and desist in the collection of this fee to every town in Connecticut.

We ask citizens of Connecticut to spread the word to refuse the collection of this fee and report to us any town who does not comply.

“No Taxation Without Representation!” - Reverend Jonathan Mayhew
"Taxation without representation is tyranny." - James Otis

More information on this issue can be found on http://ctcarry.com/BackgroundCheckFee/Background

Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Richard Burgess
President
Connecticut Carry, Inc
Ph: 203-208-9577
Email: rich@connecticutcarry.com
http://ctcarry.com

brk913

Not sure if I updated you on what is going on in Bristol. They are now saying they cannot get people in until mid-late August for printing, when asked if they can get their prints done elsewhere and then submit the application they tell people to get their prints at DPS and to apply directly through the DPS, I am sure DPS will not take the application. I have advised my students to get their prints and do the certified mail in route, I have yet to hear back how Bristol is responding to the mail in applications.

Last edited:

Rich B

Not sure if I updated you on what is going on in Bristol. They are now saying they cannot get people in until mid-late August for printing, when asked if they can get their prints done elsewhere and then submit the application they tell people to get their prints at DPS and to apply directly through the DPS, I am sure DPS will not take the application. I have advised my students to get their prints and do the certified mail in route, I have yet to hear back how Bristol is responding to the mail in applications.

I am working with at least 2 people from Bristol who mailed in applications. They seem to be accepting them fine. Processing them, we will see.

Yes, if the local issuing authority fails to fingerprint, go to DPS or one of the places/times listed here: http://www.bioidentserv.com/web/ind...a5033e8594bc=47ee74601a76702d3842b342bfe441e2

If you can, I need all documentation and facts on actual applicants and dates and issues. Bristol might be a good town to reform next, but we need more data on the issues there.

Email them here: rich [at] ctcarry.com

Last edited:

brk913

They seem to follow the rules once the application is in but it's getting it in in a timely manner that is the big issue, they have cut their "fingerprinting for permits" to one day a month and only for 3 or 4 hours creating a big backlog. I am waiting to hear back from my Bristol people to see if Bristol did in fact start to process their mailed in applications. On the instruction sheet for Bristol it states in all caps and bold, "DO NOT CALL TO CHECK ON THE STATUS" so a lot of people are intimidated by that and afraid to call to see if they have in fact started the processing. I will advise my students to make contact with you directly with their personal info as I would not feel right giving out the names of my students without their consent.

Rich B

I will advise my students to make contact with you directly with their personal info as I would not feel right giving out the names of my students without their consent.

That is what I advise as well. I also keep people completely anonymous when they contact me unless they authorize otherwise.

Not much we can do about their fingerprinting failures, but I will try and offer some alternatives. In the meantime, people can get their fingerprints done at DPS or really any other location, just make sure they get a receipt and two cards with who they were done by, and when they were done.

KIX

Rich,

While you're at it, I can supply you with a list of towns that I know charge additional printing fees.

There are a few towns that go above and beyond what is in the statutes and normal for the towns (charging for the digital prints).

If you would like the data, let me know.

Jonathan

davidmcbeth

Banned
. On the instruction sheet for Bristol it states in all caps and bold, "DO NOT CALL TO CHECK ON THE STATUS" so a lot of people are intimidated by that and afraid to call.

If they told me not to call, I'd be calling twice a day lol ... stupid goberment

Edward Peruta

May 8, 2012 Response from Major Sarah Bruso of DESPP

Before you read the May 8th letter with the referenced sections of Connecticut State Law, ask yourself these 4 quesitons:

1. Who requests the Connecticut Crminal History Records check as part of the application process for a 60 Day Temporary State Permit to Carry Pistols or Revolvers?

If you don't know the answer, ask your local issuing authority!!

2. Is receipt of a Connecticut Crminal History Records check mandated prior to a 60 Day Temporary State Permit to Carry Pistols or Revolversa being issued to an applicant for same?

3. In her letter dated May 8, 2012, why does Major Sarah Bruso mention and suggest that local issuing authorities seek a legal opinion?

4. Why didn't Major Sarah Bruso seek and include an offical legal opinion from the Attorney General?

May 8, 2012

Dear First Selectman/Police Chief:
It has come to our attention that correspondence entitled Notice and Demand to Cease and Desist has been mailed to various pistol permit local authorities by Attorney Rachel Baird. Among other things, this correspondence appears to indicate that the fee for criminal history reports is not required to be paid by pistol permit applicants.

It is the position of the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection (DESPP) that all pistol permit related criminal history record requests must be accompanied by the $50.00 fee pursuant to Conn. Gen. Stat. 29-11(c) (fee for criminal history record information search is $50,00) and 29-29(b) (as part of the pistol permit process, municipalities shall lake fingerprints orconduct some other method of positive identification of applicants and "forward such fingerprints or other positive indentifying Information to the State Police Bureau of Identification which shall conduct criminal history records checks…”. These pistol permits are issued to individual, private citizens for their exclusive use and benefit, and accordingly, the $50.00 fee must be included as part of the application process. Any pistol permit related criminal history report requests, which are not accompanied by the mandatory $50.00 fee,will be returned to youby DESPP unprocessed.

Attorney Baird's correspondence also appears to include specific statements that are directed to the various pistol permit local authorities. To the extent these statements raise legal questions; your municipal/town legal counsel should be consulted.

Sincerely,

Major Sarah Bruso
Commanding Officer
Bureau of Training and Support Services
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, CT 06457-2389

Comment: Fingerprint identification is NOT required, and it is the local issuing authority that requests the Connecticut Criminal History Records Check.

Sec. 29-11. State Police Bureau of Identification. Fees. Regulations. (a) The bureau in the Division of State Police within the Department of Public Safety known as the State Police Bureau of Identification shall be maintained for the purposes (1) of providing an authentic record of each person sixteen years of age or over who is charged with the commission of any crime involving moral turpitude, (2) of providing definite information relative to the identity of each person so arrested, (3) of providing a record of the final judgment of the court resulting from such arrest, unless such record has been erased pursuant to section 54-142a, and (4) for maintaining a central repository of complete criminal history record disposition information. The Commissioner of Public Safety is directed to maintain the State Police Bureau of Identification, which bureau shall receive, classify and file in an orderly manner all fingerprints, pictures and descriptions, including previous criminal records as far as known of all persons so arrested, and shall classify and file in a like manner all identification material and records received from the government of the United States and from the various state governments and subdivisions thereof, and shall cooperate with such governmental units in the exchange of information relative to criminals. The State Police Bureau of Identification shall accept fingerprints of applicants for admission to the bar of the state and, to the extent permitted by federal law, shall exchange state, multistate and federal criminal history records with the State Bar Examining Committee for purposes of investigation of the qualifications of any applicant for admission as an attorney under section 51-80. The record of all arrests reported to the bureau after March 16, 1976, shall contain information of any disposition within ninety days after the disposition has occurred.

(b) Any cost incurred by the State Police Bureau of Identification in conducting any name search and fingerprinting of applicants for admission to the bar of the state shall be paid from fees collected by the State Bar Examining Committee.

(c) The Commissioner of Public Safety shall charge the following fees for the service indicated: (1) Name search, thirty-six dollars; (2) fingerprint search, fifty dollars; (3) personal record search, fifty dollars; (4) letters of good conduct search, fifty dollars; (5) bar association search, fifty dollars; (6) fingerprinting, fifteen dollars; (7) criminal history record information search, fifty dollars. Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, the provisions of
this subsection shall not apply to any federal, state or municipal agency.

(d) The Commissioner of Public Safety may adopt regulations, in accordance with the provisions of chapter 54, necessary to implement the provisions of the National Child Protection Act of 1993, the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, the Volunteers for Children Act of 1998, and the National Crime Prevention and Privacy Compact as provided in section 29-164f to provide for national criminal history records checks to determine an employee's or volunteer's suitability and fitness to care for the safety and well-being of children, the elderly and individuals with disabilities.

Sec. 29-29. Information concerning criminal records of applicants for permits. (a) No temporary state permit for carrying any pistol or revolver shall be issued under the provisions of section 29-28 unless the applicant for such permit gives to the local authority, upon its request, full information concerning the applicant's criminal record. The local authority shall require the applicant to submit to state and national criminal history records checks. The local authority shall take a full description of such applicant and make an investigation concerning the applicant's suitability to carry any such weapons.

(b) The local authority shall take the fingerprints of such applicant or conduct any other method of positive identification required by the State Police Bureau of Identification or the Federal Bureau of Investigation, unless the local authority determines that the fingerprints of such applicant have been previously taken and the applicant's identity established, and such applicant presents identification that the local authority verifies as valid. The local authority shall record the date the fingerprints were taken in the applicant's file and, within five business days of such date, shall forward such fingerprints or other positive identifying information to the State Police Bureau of Identification which shall conduct criminal history records checks in accordance with section 29-17a.

(c) The local authority may, in its discretion, issue a temporary state permit before
a national criminal history records check relative to such applicant's record has been received. Upon receipt of the results of such national criminal history records check, the commissioner shall send a copy of the results of such national criminal history records check to the local authority, which shall inform the applicant and render a decision on the application within one week of the receipt of such results. If such results have not been received within eight weeks after a sufficient application for a permit has been made, the local authority shall inform the applicant of such delay, in writing. No temporary state permit shall be issued if the local authority has reason to believe the applicant has ever been convicted of a felony, or that any other condition exists for which the issuance of a permit for possession of a pistol or revolver is prohibited under state or federal law.

(d) The commissioner may investigate any applicant for a state permit and shall investigate each applicant for renewal of a state permit to ensure that such applicant is eligible under state law for such permit or for renewal of such permit.

Last edited: