• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Midwest Horse Fair

Horseman

This is posted on the web site under "Firearms":

Can I carry a concealed weapon on the Alliant Energy Center Grounds?
Per the rules of the Alliant Energy Center – NO FIREARMS OR WEAPONS ARE PERMITTED ON THE PROPERTY. Violators are subject to forfeiture or arrest.

Am I correct in saying that leaving the firearm in the parked vehicle is legal, even if it is "on the grounds"?

carpman15

if you have a ccw card you can keep it in your vehicle - thats like my work says i cant have any weapons on company property but state law over rides that since i have ccw as long as its in your vehicle they cant do anything - thats my understanding anyways

H

Herr Heckler Koch

if you have a ccw card you can keep it in your vehicle - thats like my work says i cant have any weapons on company property but state law over rides that since i have ccw as long as its in your vehicle they cant do anything - thats my understanding anyways
Law enFORCEment may not be able to do anything within the law, your employer can take an adverse job action, leaving it up to you, perhaps unemployed, to defend your rights. You may beat the rap but you will not beat the ride.

Sorcice

If you not employed under contract and "at will" then they don't need a reason to fire you. They would be quite ignorant to give a reason involving laws that could fly back in their face.

Horseman

I understand the employment issues, but the question relates to people who are going to the horse fair (not employees) for the day. I just want to make sure that leaving the firearm in the locked car is not illegal.

bmwguy11

Horsemen, if you have your WI CCW license, then yes you can have it in your vehicle on their grounds.

jdholmes

I believe I have seen folks post on this forum before regarding how courts have ruled and law indicates that your vehicle is an extension of your private property, that being the case no one could ever legally do anything about the fact you have left your gun in the vehicle.