Thread: .32 ACP ammo in a .32 Revovler?

Exclamation .32 ACP ammo in a .32 Revovler?

I bought a very nice .32 revolver for my grandmother a year ago and it works well for her. Almost no recoil (even w/ magnum loads), and decent size for her hands.

Anyhow, I found a few boxes of .32acp FMJ and out of curiosity I wanted to see if I could load the ACP rounds in the .32 long cylinder and they fit perfectly.

So does anyone know if it would be safe for her to use the .32acp rounds in this revolver?
    .32 long and magnum ammo is hard to find and there aren't many decent self defense loads made for that caliber.
    Whereas, the .32acp rounds are abundant and JHP's are easier to come by.
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    I bought a very nice .32 revolver for my grandmother a year ago and it works well for her. Almost no recoil (even w/ magnum loads), and decent size for her hands.

Anyhow, I found a few boxes of .32acp FMJ and out of curiosity I wanted to see if I could load the ACP rounds in the .32 long cylinder and they fit perfectly.

So does anyone know if it would be safe for her to use the .32acp rounds in this revolver?
    .32 long and magnum ammo is hard to find and there aren't many decent self defense loads made for that caliber.
    Whereas, the .32acp rounds are abundant and JHP's are easier to come by.
    If its a 32 H & R magnum, I belive the only thing that will interchange with it is the 32 smith and wesson long and short. Years ago I had a Ruger super single six in 32 H & R mag,wish i had a dollar for every ground squrriel i had shot with it.

Quote Originally Posted by robert1970 View Post
    If its a 32 H & R magnum, I belive the only thing that will interchange with it is the 32 smith and wesson long and short.
    I dont have the pistol in front of me at the moment.
    But if I remember correctly, I think the barrel was marked ".32 L,S,Mag"

Here's a pic I pulled from the net of the same exact gun I bought for her:

Its a .32 H&R

I've done this with a S&W revolver in 32 H&R Magnum. 32acp and 32 H&R Magnum are similar in SAAMI pressure levels of 20500 & 21000 respectively. It works...sorta. It depends on the tolerances of the 32 acp case rims and the revolver cylinder rim gap(head space). I got about 50% ignition with a box of Winchester white box. I suspect one could try various brands of ammo and find one that was reliable. Accuracy wasn't bad for those that went bang.

I wouldn't try this with a gun in 32 S&W long(same as 32 colt new police & 32 H&R) SAAMI max pressure is 12500 due to so many older and poor quality guns out there.

Personally I think it is better to just go online and buy the 32 S&W long. I bought it from AIM for about $15/box in 10 box quantity and they are a highly reliable vendor.

http://www.saami.org/specifications_...mbinations.pdf -

From the SAAMI page:

32 Long Colt is NOT compatible with 32H&RMag

32 ACP, 32 Long Colt and 32 Short Colt are NOT compatible with 32S&W

SAAMI says you should NOT be shooting 32ACP out of that revolver.

stay safe.
    Last edited by skidmark; 04-16-2012 at 05:21 AM. Reason: got cited page to load so could provide industry standard
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Thanks for the SAAMI specs guys, I dont reload and never even thought to look there.
    Looks like I'll just have her stick with the .32 magnums.