• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Williamsburg Pottery - unfriendly?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sunday afternoon, April 15th, at approximately noon arrived at the new, improved version of the Williamsburg Pottery - wasn't too impressed with the exceedingly long walk from one end to the other - just another strip mall, but this one for tourists was my impression.

Had been there for several hours and had several conversations (all positive) about my pretty 1911 when I was told by a the unarmed security lady, "We are private property and do not allow guns in the buildings." Seemed to me that they have undoubtedly had this conversation before for her to have been enough aware to mention private property. Had a short conversation with her about all of the years I had been carrying there and how disappointed I was about the change in their rules. Asked her for a card and contact info for management - she had neither...so professional. She did claim that "no guns" had always been the rule.

Called the Pottery main number - when I ask for a member of the management team, was told none were available but I could leave a message. Did so and now waiting for a return call.

On a more upbeat note, had no problem OCing in any of the other shops, restaurants or with the tourists throughout the warm and pleasant day. Oh there were a few looks but my smile seemed to relax any nervous twitches.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm interested in a return call if you get one. I OC'ed there shortly after they opened and even talked with one of the Security people. I wonder if this isn't just an over zealous guard. If not, it will be extremely easy to boycott the place. It is not the pottery of old days.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm interested in a return call if you get one. I OC'ed there shortly after they opened and even talked with one of the Security people. I wonder if this isn't just an over zealous guard. If not, it will be extremely easy to boycott the place. It is not the pottery of old days.

You understate as usual Peter.

Agree that the officer may have just been a [strike]potty[/strike] pottery mouth.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I remember OCing there at least once last year....had no issues. The older one of course.

Liked the old Pottery - unlikely we'll go back to the new one, still others would want to know how they will be received.

No return phone call today.

Ken56

I will be comming to the Williamsburg area mid June. Anything I need to know about the area? Aside from the no firearms in federal buildings or ........? I have a Mich. CPL and will probably CC mostly while there, I'm sure the wife will not want to bail me out of jail should I run accross a disagreeable LEO.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I will be comming to the Williamsburg area mid June. Anything I need to know about the area? Aside from the no firearms in federal buildings or ........? I have a Mich. CPL and will probably CC mostly while there, I'm sure the wife will not want to bail me out of jail should I run accross a disagreeable LEO.

Aside from the Pottery, Williamsburg is gun friendly, cops are good, James City County is good but Jamestown you have to stay out of the buildings. If you cross the river to Surry, hold your wallet, don't point your finger and don't call the guards at the ferry, big boy!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

We have only had a few husbands left behind in Williamsburg. Most wives allow them to return with them after copious increase in their shopping allowance - it's all part of the living history experience. Virginia thanks you for your contribution :lol:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Please OC while observing the muster of the King's soldiers at Colinial Williamsburg in hopes of having some of them comment on the rabble wandering about armed. Compare that to the mustering of the militia. Stop by the blacksmith and the gunsmith for more conversation. Have at least one meal at one of the inns - but stay away from the new coffeeshop, it's supposed to be a pack you in-rush you out experience as opposed to a place to linger and discuss issues and events.

In spite of his dire warnings, the Handsome Young Videographer has been reporting that the number of cossacks at the Scotland Neck/Jamestown Ferry have been drastically reduced. If you are inclined, a trip to enjoy a meal at Surry House will not only get you great food but great hosts. Try the she-crab bisque.

If you know your itinerary and are so inclined post it as time for your trip gets closer. We can probably put together a meet&greet with representatives from Richmond and Tidewater folks.

stay safe.