• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So there I was... (shots fired.. Holland Road in Virginia Beach)

MagiK_SacK

Nice and asleep in my bed at 1:30AM, when suddenly there was three shots fired just infront of my house. Woke me up quick, jumped up grabed my gun, racked the slide. My wife was ok and calling 911, so I checked on my son. He was thankfully still sleeping (kid could sleep through an earth quake). I peered out my window to see an empty street but heard three more shots fired further down the road. Shortly after that two more were heard. I noticed my neighbor walking outside checking his house. I grabed my mag light and decided to do the same. No bullet holes where noticed. I met up with my neighbor and while confirming eachothers stories we heard two more shots. So far that's a total of 10. We continued to look around cautiously as two cops speed down the street. After they passed we found three 9mm shells in the street. We made sure not to touch them as my neighbor grabbed some chemlights to mark the locations and call 911 to inform them. Shortly after that they showed up and collected the casings. They asked us to infrom our neighbors and to ask them to look for any damage to report so it can be documented. Unfortunately it looks like this wreckless criminal will stay free for another day, but I dare him to do it again and stick around. Aside from the cops, he also has 4 armed concerned citicizens keeping a closer eye out for that ass hole. If anybody else lives near 'the lakes' off of Holland Road in Virginia Beach on the Riverbend Rd and Woodburne Drive area keep an eye out and stay safe.

I know this isn't directly related to OC but those living in that area should be aware if they are not already.

Ruby

Why in the world would you go outside, even if you are armed, and expose yourself to potential harm?!? Much safer to stay INSIDE where you and your family are safe, call 911 (which you did) and let the police do their job. What if you had actually confronted the perp?!? What then? You would have been considered the agressor, if you survived the encounter. Having a gun does NOT make one invincible! It is not any citizen's job to run down and round up the bad guys, that's why we have police. And no, I am not a coward, just a gun owner with quite a bit of common sense. If I hear gunfire near my home, I would get my gun, call 911 and stay inside where I could defend myself and home if they tried to enter. I would have called my neighbors, not gone outside to talk to them. Please be more careful in the future, playing Rambo could get you killed. Just my opinion.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
As a suggestion for the future, I wouldn't advise walking out of the house, into the unknown with a handgun in the dark after a shots fired situation. You can look for bullet holes in the morning.

I'd be looking to put a few holes in someone shooting at my house...BIG HOLES!

MagiK_SacK

Why in the world would you go outside, even if you are armed, and expose yourself to potential harm?!? Much safer to stay INSIDE where you and your family are safe, call 911 (which you did) and let the police do their job. What if you had actually confronted the perp?!? What then? You would have been considered the agressor, if you survived the encounter. Having a gun does NOT make one invincible! It is not any citizen's job to run down and round up the bad guys, that's why we have police. And no, I am not a coward, just a gun owner with quite a bit of common sense. If I hear gunfire near my home, I would get my gun, call 911 and stay inside where I could defend myself and home if they tried to enter. I would have called my neighbors, not gone outside to talk to them. Please be more careful in the future, playing Rambo could get you killed. Just my opinion.

I was not outside to look for a fight. Nor was I looking to round up the criminals. "I peered out my window to see an empty street but heard three more shots fired further down the road. Shortly after that two more were heard." It was only when I felt the threat had passed that I decided to proceed outside. I did not state that I was out there trying to chase down anybody. Was it the safest choice in the world probably not. I was being cautious, and very alert to my surroundings, always aware of an escape route just like I have been trained. I understand my actions are not what you would chose to do, but I would rather have the option to confront the situation outside the home before they are in my house. Which is too close to my family for my comfort. By saying that I am in no way saying I was running out there to find the perp but rather if he were to come back I would have the possibility to keep the threat further away from my family.

I'd be looking to put a few holes in someone shooting at my house...BIG HOLES!

He was in a car as far as I can tell and I sure as hell wasn't going to go looking for him. So far nobody has found any holes in anything which would suggest to me that he was shooting in the air which is even worse. God only knows where those rounds landed.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hey Ruby....did you ever hear any real people say "Perp"?

It's like "Groovy" . Outside of hip dude politicians and the Partridge family, I never heard it come up.:lol:

The Airframer

Why in the world would you go outside, ... playing Rambo could get you killed. Just my opinion.

This sounds like quite the opportunity to break out the old 12 gauge (my ADT system) and hope to see someone shooting. I would've done the same given this situation, he wouldn't get another chance to fire upon my house and sleeping children.

Last edited:

MagiK_SacK

This sounds like quite the opportunity to break out the old 12 gauge (my ADT system) and hope to see someone shooting. I would've done the same given this situation, he wouldn't get another chance to fire upon my house and sleeping children.

This is my point, not everybody would react the same way, The Airframer and I would react the same way. Maybe it's because we are both Airframers, maybe not, but the biggest point is that I have my family in mind, and that's that. I did not start this thread to have a conversation about how to have better handled the situation, but to rather inform those who live close to that area that may not have heard the shots. I'm not saying I didn't expect any 'well I would have' comments, but who wouldn't hope not see any of them sometimes ya know. :rolleyes:

I had a social conversation with a local detective about some recent incidents, and his word of choice was "the offender."

TFred

I'll be sure to keep that in mind next time I have a run in like this.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
. I'm not saying I didn't expect any 'well I would have' comments, but who wouldn't hope not see any of them sometimes ya know. :rolleyes:

You have to expect the armchair quarterbacking.:lol:

I'll be sure to keep that in mind next time I have a run in like this.

Actually, TFred was responding to me making fun of Ruby's Adam 12 lingo.:lol:

Proshooter is pretty savvy and is only going to give safe and sane advice, but I know him, and damned if I'd want to go shooting in front of his house.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I had a social conversation with a local detective about some recent incidents, and his word of choice was "the offender."

TFred

What? They are no longer "alleged"?:eek:

I guess we are all guilty until proved otherwise.

And that goes for the OP and everybody else - how were thaose sounds verified as "shots" as opposed to any of a myriad of other possibilities? And how did the OP verify that the items seen on the street were in fact shell casings that were configured for 9mm cartridges? All of those things are alleged[/b] to be what is described until appropriately documented. [/tongue from cheek]

I can sympathize with the OP. My neighborhood, although "better than it used to be" still has enough alleged illegal activity to support the supposition that some of the sounds heard might be gunfire. But lately the construction equipment place across the street has been dropping a lot of large panels of both wooden and metal construction - I am fortunate that I can look out a window and see if they are off-loading stuff in the yard and thus more inclined to think that was the source of the noise. Of course, they do not drop stuff at 1 AM.

Also, for some reason nobody seems inclined to even run their thumpa-thumpa speakers when driving past my place. Somebody suggested it might be because I often sit out by the back door cleaning my shotgun, but I don't think that has anything to do with it.:D

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Also, for some reason nobody seems inclined to even run their thumpa-thumpa speakers when driving past my place. Somebody suggested it might be because I often sit out by the back door cleaning my shotgun, but I don't think that has anything to do with it.:D

stay safe.

That conjures up images of one of my favorite "Old Goat" movies:lol::lol: (Second hand lion)

secondhandlionspic.jpg

WOD

"Alleged" is only for TV shows and journalists, not very useful in everyday life.

MKEgal

skidmark said:
Also, for some reason nobody seems inclined to even run their thumpa-thumpa speakers when driving past my place. Somebody suggested it might be because I often sit out by the back door cleaning my shotgun, but I don't think that has anything to do with it.
I've seen a picture of you.
Somehow Santa with a shotgun is a disturbing proposition. :eek:

But I'll have to try the front-porch pistol cleaning sessions this summer & see if word gets around to the criminals in the area that they should stay away. Most neighbors already know I carry.
The only ones making moon eyes :shocker: at me are the ones who are also making trouble, & they've generally been very polite & cooperative when I (also very politely) ask them to modify their behavior.

MagiK_SacK

Actually, TFred was responding to me making fun of Ruby's Adam 12 lingo.

I know I just responded because I used it as well.

What? They are no longer "alleged"?:eek:

I guess we are all guilty until proved otherwise.

And that goes for the OP and everybody else - how were thaose sounds verified as "shots" as opposed to any of a myriad of other possibilities? And how did the OP verify that the items seen on the street were in fact shell casings that were configured for 9mm cartridges? All of those things are alleged[/b] to be what is described until appropriately documented. [/tongue from cheek]

I can sympathize with the OP. My neighborhood, although "better than it used to be" still has enough alleged illegal activity to support the supposition that some of the sounds heard might be gunfire. But lately the construction equipment place across the street has been dropping a lot of large panels of both wooden and metal construction - I am fortunate that I can look out a window and see if they are off-loading stuff in the yard and thus more inclined to think that was the source of the noise. Of course, they do not drop stuff at 1 AM.

stay safe.

Well if we are talking in legal terms then alleged is correct. I am possitive with every part of my being that the alleged noise and the alleged casings found were gun shots, and would contest anybody that were to say otherwise. :exclaim: I know you aren't badgering, so don't take that statement the wrong way.

"Alleged" is only for TV shows and journalists, not very useful in everyday life.

+1 I'm no good at the legal stuff. I guess that is why I should never talk to the police.

WhatTimeIsIt?

I have to say that I disagree with this mentality. There is a difference between the vigilante who goes out to search for crimes or, even further, goes out to search for bad people who aren't even threatening imminent harm and the upstanding citizen who responds to criminal activity that finds him. In this case, the man shooting in the street was the initiator of force, even going out to confront him directly would only be force in response. If citizens were more proactive in defending themselves and their neighbors, criminals would have to fear all decent citizens, not just the police. This is how we could make a serious dent in crime. Criminals get away with so much because people are too scared to "stick their neck out". This mentality allows many more crimes to be committed and therefore there are many more victims. So deciding not to "play Rambo" could get you killed.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
In this case, the man shooting in the street was the initiator of force, even going out to confront him directly would only be force in response. .

Actually, in my best courtroom interpretation of legaleez, the correct term would be STOOPID.

Someone please explain to the man in the white hat, exactly when you are allowed to use deadly force in Virginia. I'm off duty.

45acpForMe

I have to say that I disagree with this mentality. There is a difference between the vigilante who goes out to search for crimes or, even further, goes out to search for bad people who aren't even threatening imminent harm and the upstanding citizen who responds to criminal activity that finds him. In this case, the man shooting in the street was the initiator of force, even going out to confront him directly would only be force in response. If citizens were more proactive in defending themselves and their neighbors, criminals would have to fear all decent citizens, not just the police. This is how we could make a serious dent in crime. Criminals get away with so much because people are too scared to "stick their neck out". This mentality allows many more crimes to be committed and therefore there are many more victims. So deciding not to "play Rambo" could get you killed.

What is sad is that I am more afraid of sticking my neck out against our "JUSTICE" system than the criminal.

"He needed killing!" should be a valid defense. :)

Last edited: