• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

JMU Board of Visitors moves forward on weapons ban regulation

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
During a Friday April 15th 2012 meeting, the Board of Visitors of James Madison University, located in Harrisonburg, Virginia, voted to promulgate a regulation banning weapons on campus.

While the exact text of the proposed regulation has not yet been released ... Read More

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Oh, that the folks like Holly Adams were as boisterous as the professional victims Goddard and Haas. Maybe hearing the public hearing the other side could be effective to deter the nimrods who jeopardize students' lives.

Is it enough to hope that for now that at least the victim's lawsuit is not throttled to $100k so the universities see some dire financial consequence?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Oh, that the folks like Holly Adams were as boisterous as the professional victims Goddard and Haas. Maybe hearing the public hearing the other side could be effective to deter the nimrods who jeopardize students' lives.

Is it enough to hope that for now that at least the victim's lawsuit is not throttled to $100k so the universities see some dire financial consequence?
I think to get any real legislation through, the SCCC people need to get students registered to vote, then vocal about wanting it.

To be honest, the JMU SCCC people are the only ones that have impressed me so far.
I just don't think this will go very far being pushed by non academia alone.

TFred

1) Remove the generalized prohibition in § 18.2-308(o)
I don't see where § 18.2-308(o) prohibits anything. The plain text meaning I understand it to say is simply that the possession of a CHP does not give you the authority to ignore either a) existing laws or b) the wishes of a private property owner. It is the "otherwise prohibited by law" or the "prohibited by owner" that do the prohibiting, this paragraph just clearly states that a CHP does not override those already existing prohibitions.

O. The granting of a concealed handgun permit shall not thereby authorize the possession of any handgun or other weapon on property or in places where such possession is otherwise prohibited by law or is prohibited by the owner of private property.

TFred

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see where § 18.2-308(o) prohibits anything. The plain text meaning I understand it to say is simply that the possession of a CHP does not give you the authority to ignore either a) existing laws or b) the wishes of a private property owner. It is the "otherwise prohibited by law" or the "prohibited by owner" that do the prohibiting, this paragraph just clearly states that a CHP does not override those already existing prohibitions.

Exactly ... And since properly promulgated regulations have the force and effect of LAW, any regulation that is passed automatically trumps concealed carry. AND ... since administrative agencies are not covered by preemption, there is nothing to stop them ... AND ... Commonwealth-operated colleges and universities have fast-track regulatory authority under the VAPA. The deck is well and truly stacked against us. We need to start unravelling the threads one at a time!

John

Repeater

TFred

§ 18.2-308(O) was a "Governor's Recommendation" of George Allen. So, what was his intent?

As he is running for U.S. Senate, perhaps someone should ask him.