• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lawrence county Ky deprives citizens of constitutional rights, and violates state law

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Met with the county attorney of Lawrence county this morning, if you would call it that. The attorneys name is mike hogan, and he is running on a VERY PRO 2A platform for Commonwealth Attorney in Lawrence County. He says he is PRO 2A, yet he has no understanding of state firearm law, which causes some concern. This is a man who I believe is trying to deceive voters by claiming to support our right to keep and BEAR arms,
when he has made it so blatantly obvious he does not respect that right, or the rule of law in our great state! He does not respect statutes passed by the STATE legislature to keep locales from doing what Lawrence is doing, depriving citizens, (who he works for and is paid by), of their rights granted to them by the state and federal constitutions, and state law. I have given him, the county judge/exec. John Osbourne, and the county sheriff all documents pertaining to the issue of prohibiting citizens from openly carrying in the county courthouse, sherrif's dept., and any other non court of justice building, and they refuse to comply. They insist they can Enforce the no carry provision of their ILLEGAL ordinance, and also arrest for violating this ordinance! I should state that they do not even have signs posted which they must have in order for the "no concealed weapons" part to even be enforceable, as stated in KRS 237.115, and as everyone knows, and should know if you are a county attorney, you can not arrest or threaten arrest for violating the "no concealed weapons" part of the ordinance, (the only legal part).

The documents I have given them and they admitted they received are state statutes 237.115, 65.870(amended), Kentucky League of Cities documents that inform of what they can and can't do, and the document that verifies you can not prohibit, especially not remove and threaten arrest, anyone who is openly carrying a firearm in a meeting of a governing body (Fiscal Court Meeting). I attempted today to give the CA copies of all relevant AG opinions, but he violently ripped them out of my hands and threw them on the ground, (you can hear this in the audio). I was barred from ever entering the county courthouse again while carrying, I was threatened to be
arrested, I was illegally detained, was threatened with arrest again, was told it was illegal to carry in their COUNTY courthouse, was told by the "sheriff" that SB161? Did not pass, I informed him HB500 did pass and was the only new statute that pertains to this issue, and he said it did not because all it dealt with was "some stamp placed on a firearm manufactured in Ky?" I believe he was speaking of the KFFA, which has nothing to do with the issue at hand, and they tried to persuade me to enter the sherrif dept. Knowing I was carrying concealed, (entrapment). I will post the audio when I get to a computer, and a lawsuit is going to be files on several officials in Lawrence County and the County itself.

Last edited:

self preservation

Met with the county attorney of Lawrence county this morning, if you would call it that. The attorneys name is mike hogan, and he is running on a VERY PRO 2A platform for Commonwealth Attorney in Lawrence County. He says he is PRO 2A, yet he has no understanding of state firearm law, which causes some concern. This is a man who is trying to deceive voters by claiming to support our right to keep and BEAR arms,
when he has made it so blatantly obvious he does not respect that right, or the rule of law in our great state! He does not respect statutes passed by the STATE legislature to keep locales from doing what Lawrence is doing, depriving citizens, (who he works for and is paid by), of their rights granted to them by the state and federal constitutions, and state law. I have given him, the county
judge/exec. John Osbourne, and the county sherrif all documents pertaining to the issue of prohibiting citizens from openly carrying in the county courthouse, sherrif's dept., and any other non court of justice building, and
they refuse to comply. They insist they can Enforce the no carry provision of their ILLEGAL ordinance, and also arrest for violating this ordinance! I should state they do not even have signs posted which they must have in order for the "no concealed weapons" part to even be enforceable, as stated in KRS 237.115, and as everyone knows, and should know if you are a county attorney, you can not arrest or threaten arrest for violating the "no concealed weapons" part of the ordinance, (the only legal part).

The documents I have given them and they admitted they received are state statutes 237.115, 65.870(amended), Kentucky League of Cities documents that inform of what they can and can't do, and the document that verifies you can not prohibit, especially not remove and threaten arrest, anyone who is openly carrying a firearm. I attempted today to give the CA copies of all relevant AG opinions, but he violently ripped them out of my hands and threw them on the ground, (you can hear this in the audio). I was barred from ever entering the county courthouse again while carrying, I was threatened to be
arrested, I was illegally detained, was threatened with arrest again, was told it was illegal to carry in their courthouse, was told by the "sherrif" that SB161? Did not pass, I informed him HB500 did pass and was the only new statute that pertains to this issue, and he said it did not because all it dealt with was "some stamp placed on a firearm manufactured in Ky?" I believe he was speaking of the KFFA, which has nothing to do with the issue at hand, and they tried to persuade me to enter the sherrif dept. Knowing I was carrying concealed, (entrapment). I will post the audio when I get to a computer, and a lawsuit is going to be files on several officials in Lawrence County and the County itself.

Blows my mind. Your services obviously were needed there far worse than they where needed here in Owingsville. I would like to hear the audio..even though it will piss me off. This is easy for me to say since its not my fighting this particular battle, but please dont give up. Push the hell out of this and make them pay.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I most certainly will not back down, they are breaking the law and must be held accountable!

Does anyone know how to ask for an AG opinion? This is so clearly a violation of state law, and they say it is not! They say OC is not allowed and an arrestable offense in fiscal court meetings! They surely can't be this ignorant about state law. They tried saying local ordinances trump state law, and that they have "home rule" abilities to do as they wish with the issue at hand. They refuse to look at the AG opinion that explicitly says they can't violate krs 65.870, or the fact that "home rule" does not apply if it is in violation of the constitution or of a state statute!!!

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
There was a lady closet to my area that recently had an opinion issued over a public meeting deal, so I'm sure I can ask for an opinion on this issue.

Statesman

I most certainly will not back down, they are breaking the law and must be held accountable!

Does anyone know how to ask for an AG opinion? This is so clearly a violation of state law, and they say it is not! They say OC is not allowed and an arrestable offense in fiscal court meetings! They surely can't be this ignorant about state law. They tried saying local ordinances trump state law, and that they have "home rule" abilities to do as they wish with the issue at hand. They refuse to look at the AG opinion that explicitly says they can't violate krs 65.870, or the fact that "home rule" does not apply if it is in violation of the constitution or of a state statute!!!

Ask them what charge they would arrest you on. It's not going to hold up in court. This sounds like a perfect opportunity for a lawsuit under USC 42 1983, and a nice settlement for someone who is willing to go through the process of being arrested, and obtaining a lawyer.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
anyone have any idea how to make an audio file shorter? It will not allow me to upload because it is too large. I could cut almost 5 minutes off of it.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I have not done anything on a computer other than type and surf the net for probably 10 years. I used to be fairly knowledgable on these issues, but that is no longer the case. I have no idea how to convert the format of an audio file.

09jisaac

Is it on your computer? Do you have the original uncut file?

I say put it on youtube. That should work if you could upload it to your computer (I don't see why you wouldn't be able to).

Also, check your texts.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Downloaded, but it will not let me upload the file until I change the extension. If someone could walk me through that I will gladly post it.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Well then if they "know" they are right, I will ask them to request an opinion on the issue. If they refuse to do so, I will simply play the waiting game, and take them to court. It will be an easy victory, because I have the law on my side, and they have been informed several times, with audio recordings of every encounter, that they are in violation of several state statutes. I believe if they was going to arrest, they would have done so today when they threatened us with it several times. I must have confused you somehow, the county courthouse does not have any security, sorry if I mislead you. I do plan on contacting the local paper in Ashland, and I believe there is an online paper in Louisa, and if so I will contact them as well. I also plan on contacting our local news channels to see if they would be interested in running a story on this issue. It would certainly make for good television if things happened as they did today. I am going to try contacting them once more, although I have been in contact with them four times now, and each time they say they are right, and I am wrong. I will let them find out how right I am in the courtroom if they refuse to change this ordinance. I just can not believe this guy actually thinks he can arrest someone for carrying a firearm in a county building. I do not understand how a county attorney can be so ignorant of the law, especially when I have placed all relevant information on a silver platter right in front of his face. It is rather obvious his "authority" has never been questioned before.

KYGlockster

Activist Member

No need for a AGO here. That issue has already been covered. Read AGO 99-10. Home Rule is exactly what the City of Louisville argued in 1999. I didn't fly, 99-10 is very explicit. Home Rule does not allow a city to violate the state constitution or any state statute.

I tried giving this very opinion to him and he ripped it out of my hand and threw it down. He said he didn't care what the attorney general said. He will not listen to anything you have to say, and that will be his downfall. When he is charged with Official Misconduct, and not able to hold the office of County Attorney or Commonwealth Attorney, maybe then he will wish he had listened to us.

Last edited:

09jisaac

Gutshot, I don't think you understand. This man seemed to think he was in a yelling match with himself. Glockster, the sheriff, a deputy and I were all calm and collect. He was being childish the whole time. I do not think he will listen to reason.

Also, is there something illegal about campaigning on courthouse property?

MrOverlay

I tried giving this very opinion to him and he ripped it out of my hand and threw it down. He said he didn't care what the attorney general said. He will not listen to anything you have to say, and that will be his downfall. When he is charged with Official Misconduct, and not able to hold the office of County Attorney or Commonwealth Attorney, maybe then he will wish he had listened to us.

I know almost all of the players in this drama (on the county side). The problem is you can file a complaint for Official Misconduct, but a judge has to sign it and a prosecutor has to prosecute it. In this case the subject of the complaint is the prosecutor. Here is where you will run into your problem. You are going up against the "system". The system doesn't feed upon itself easily.

Most who have practiced civil disobedience have been willing to be arrested and jailed to prove their point. They often lost in court initially, but with the help of good lawyers and often legislatures, they most often prevailed.

If you are willing to pay the initial price, arrest and attorney fee's, you will prevail, IMO. Then you can move into Federal Court, with more attorney fee's, and hope for the best. The question is are you ready to be the test case?

It is a shame that these things usually come down to this, but often it does.

As an after thought, does he have any opposition for the CA position? You might be able to work with his opponent to apply pressure on a political front.

09jisaac

I am willing to take the fall if need be. I was about to tell them to take their false authority and shove it, but I figured that might have ended the same way for Glockster too. He was down here helping me, I didn't want him to spend the night in jail for my actions. I do not think this will end without a huge black mark on all involved on that end. It makes Hogan sound very pro 2A when he is threatening people for violation of an illegal ordinance that he refuses to do anything about.

flb_78

Im not sure I'd do anything yet to get arrested. I would probably bide my time and speak with an attorney and get ready for when HB500 becomes law in July and have your ducks in a row to lay down a solid case.

DrakeZ07

Not that it'd help much at all, but, anyone else feeling itchy for a lil OC get together in force at this place? peacefully carrying as a large group? I'm sure theres more of us then there are LEO's. Call in the media, or have our families on the side video taping everything we did, and everything said. There was 11 or so of us at the Lex M&G, plus the ones who go to the Ash M&G :D

09jisaac

Apparently Lawrence county does not have an express way to void ordinances. I was told when I asked to put this on the agenda that it takes TWO readings and advertising of both before a vote. It will be a minimum of two more months before this is gone. So I might be without my right to defense on county property until then as the Sheriff and County Attorney are insistent on enforcing this ordinance as long as it is in force.

Edit, I also have five copies of the illegal ordinance now.

Last edited: