• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at the Chesterfield Fair Grounds (Tea Party event)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Saturday is the Tea Party's event at the Chesterfield Fair Grounds. In years past, you could only park on the School Parking lot leaving armed people with no option but to leave it in the car or don't go. It's supposed to rain this weekend and I'm think about going but only if there are better parking arrangements.

I asked about them on the TP Facebook page. Let's see if I get an answer. If I'm not mistaken, VCDL will be there.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
According to my VCDL gun show coordinator emails, this event was indeed held on the 14th.

Hmmmmm....I gotta get out more often:uhoh:
Oh well, now I don't have to worry about taking my gun or try to remember where I put it.

Last edited:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Since I just picked up the supplies from our sales girl who was at the event handing out brochures, I can confirm that it was indeed this past Saturday.......

ripVanWinkle.jpg

Rip Van Nap

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Since I just picked up the supplies from our sales girl who was at the event handing out brochures, I can confirm that it was indeed this past Saturday.......

ripVanWinkle.jpg

Rip Van Nap

Wouldn't be near as bad if I hadn't asked them on facebook if they'd fixed the parking problem yet:rolleyes:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
They need to fix the gun problem too....

Confirmed as this past Sat - we'ins was there.

What gun problem?

Didn't have a parking problem either as we parked on fairgrounds property. We were within 1000' of a GFSZ though.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I was asked if our sales staff would be carrying. I was told that concealed carry would be "preferred, since this was a family event"...

I thought it kind of odd to suggest that we give up OC during such a "celebration of liberty", but then again it wasn't my party.

While the "venue" would have the ability to say yes or no, haven't seen or heard of that problem with the Tea Party recently - no one said anything negative to any of us at all - we were enthusiastically received.

I don't even ask the question of the Tea Party any more :D

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
While the "venue" would have the ability to say yes or no, haven't seen or heard of that problem with the Tea Party recently - no one said anything negative to any of us at all - we were enthusiastically received.

I don't even ask the question of the Tea Party any more :D

It was a major problem with the Richmond, Chesterfield and several Tea Parties several years ago. I know Richmond got tired of me shouting to the world that they were anti.

Apparently Chesterfield just turned the volume down some.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It was a major problem with the Richmond, Chesterfield and several Tea Parties several years ago. I know Richmond got tired of me shouting to the world that they were anti.

Apparently Chesterfield just turned the volume down some.

There were a number of Tea Party groups there, although I did not see any as identified as being from Richmond.

Most commonly heard comments were "That sure is a purty gun" & "Is that a Kimber?"

I think they got the message, Peter.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
There were a number of Tea Party groups there, although I did not see any as identified as being from Richmond.

Most commonly heard comments were "That sure is a purty gun" & "Is that a Kimber?"

I think they got the message, Peter.

Well...the parking was the big issue I had with them and I know you discussed it with the TP in advance....so I'd say they got got an earful:lol:

paramedic70002

I was asked if our sales staff would be carrying. I was told that concealed carry would be "preferred, since this was a family event"...

I thought it kind of odd to suggest that we give up OC during such a "celebration of liberty", but then again it wasn't my party.

Because guns are apparently only for people who don't procreate?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Well...the parking was the big issue I had with them and I know you discussed it with the TP in advance....so I'd say they got got an earful:lol:

The issue seems to be that Chesterfield County, which leases use of the fairgrounds, does not want a bunch of cars parking and taking up valuable rental space on the fairgrounds. And since they also think they control the schools across the road (boy will they be surprised when the School Board starts asking them for parking fees!) they believe the "problem" is resolved.

I wonder if we could rent a small bus and run a shuttle service from some other public parking area? Charge either just enough to cover expenses. I'll volunteer to ride the short bus so it can gain access to the fairgrounds proper (see, being a gimp has benefits:uhoh:).

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The issue seems to be that Chesterfield County, which leases use of the fairgrounds, does not want a bunch of cars parking and taking up valuable rental space on the fairgrounds. And since they also think they control the schools across the road (boy will they be surprised when the School Board starts asking them for parking fees!) they believe the "problem" is resolved.

I wonder if we could rent a small bus and run a shuttle service from some other public parking area? Charge either just enough to cover expenses. I'll volunteer to ride the short bus so it can gain access to the fairgrounds proper (see, being a gimp has benefits:uhoh:).

stay safe.

I understand the problem Skid but if you'll recall years ago when I accused the Richmond Tea Party of being anti gun...

http://news.oldva.org/?p=1585
[h=1]Is the Tea Party Anti-Gun[/h]
Just imagine planning a Civil Rights Rally…and holding it in a Ku Klux Klan Hall.
Boy howdy, think how surprised those folks looking to enforce their rights under God and the United States Constitution, would be, when they’re greeted by a gentleman with a hood on his head and a noose in his hand and a smile on his face. Nothing like good planning.
Today, I briefly attended the off site Washington D.C. Tea Party. It was held at Bailey’s Pub and Grille in Chesterfield.
As most readers know, I am or was, a strong supporter of the Richmond Tea Party. I’ve done photo stories on several of them.

The last one was at the Chesterfield Fairgrounds. Great location…except for one little detail. They closed all the Fairground parking lots to everyone but persons actually working there, and the only other parking was at the school across the street.
And you ask, what’s the problem? Well, it’s illegal to bring a firearm onto school property in Virginia. CHP holders may leave the weapon in their vehicle but common folks can’t even do that. Violation is one of those major, gonna get you arrested and thrown in a cell with Big Bubba, kind of laws.
Did the Tea Party Care….Hell no! One can pass over one little error like that as Purdy Stoopid, but forgivable.
Enter today’s faux pas. The off site rally was held at Bailey’s which is so anti gun, it’s foaming at the mouth. See todays story about my adventures in Baileyland.
[h=1]Bailey’s Pub and Grille.. A Haven for Criminals ?[/h] After my encounter with the Manager at the door, I went back to the Rally and spotting this Gentleman, whom looked important, I aked “Who’s in charge here”? He acknowledged he was.
I asked him why they would choose to promote an anti gun establishment. He said they weren’t anti gun, they just didn’t want any guns in here.
Well hush my mouth…just how in hell does that make any sense? So I asked, “Is that the best answer you can come up with?”
Obviousely busy counting heads, he said “Look Call VCDL”.
I told him I was a VCDL member and as of the last meeting, we still had our guns on.
His reply before he turned and snipped away…”Tell VCDL to pick the place next time”.
Now I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but that boy ain’t right! My conclusion is that the Richmond Tea Party just flat doesn’t give a damn about gun rights. There’s no other explanation!
I invite the Tea Party to explain these two lapses in judgment. I’ll happily print them.
Until then

[h=2]Editors Note;[/h] [h=2]According to the Sentinel, I am incorrect in the law. Both permit holders and non permit holder could leave their firearms in the car on school property. I won’t bother looking it up. VCDL’s word is gospel in these matters.[/h]

They choose venues that make it impossible to carry. They can't claim to be pro constitutional but only support parts of it when it's convenient.

[h=2]
[/h]