Thread: Carrying to Post Office

Question Carrying to Post Office

I am in Northwestern Pa. I live in a very small town, where we have to go to the Post office to get our mail from post office boxes. I have a concealed carry permit. Am I allowed to carry my handgun into the Post Office ? I thought there was something about Gov. buildings.

Herr Heckler Koch

Code of Federal Regulations Title 39 Part 232 Section 232.1 (l)

Conduct on Postal Property

39 CFR 232.1 (l) Weapons and explosives . Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov

Quote Originally Posted by gutterfalcon View Post
    I am in Northwestern Pa. I live in a very small town, where we have to go to the Post office to get our mail from post office boxes. I have a concealed carry permit. Am I allowed to carry my handgun into the Post Office ? I thought there was something about Gov. buildings.
    Sigh...

The post office is federal property. Your concealed permit is issued by your state, and other states may or may not recognize it at their whim. The federal government does not recognize any lawful citizen carry at any post office.
    Last edited by ManInBlack; 04-16-2012 at 04:14 PM.
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    Conduct on Postal Property

39 CFR 232.1 (l) Weapons and explosives . Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov
    And be sure that you park on a public street. It is prohibited also in a parking lot on Postal property.
    When those in Government fail to see the danger in too much Government, they become the danger.
    (Original quote by me)

If we lose the Second Amendment it is only a matter of time before we lose the First Amendment, then the Fourth Amendment and then it is all downhill from there ...

I've OCed and didn't scare the horses or stampede the women!

It's too late to train when you are in the middle of a gunfight ... (me)

IDPA SSP/MM

It probably won't make any difference as far as carry goes, but the USPS is no longer run by the federal government; it is run by a private corporation and has been for several years. I would assume the same rules apply. Sorry, I don't have the cite.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    It probably won't make any difference as far as carry goes, but the USPS is no longer run by the federal government; it is run by a private corporation and has been for several years. I would assume the same rules apply. Sorry, I don't have the cite.
    It is not a private corporation.

39 USC 201 - United States Postal Service

There is established, as an independent establishment of the executive branch of the Government of the United States, the United States Postal Service.
    The USPS is often mistaken for a government-owned corporation (e.g., Amtrak) because it operates much like a business, but as noted above, it is legally defined as an "independent establishment of the executive branch of the Government of the United States", (39 U.S.C. 201) as it is controlled by Presidential appointees and the Postmaster General. As a quasi-governmental agency, it has many special privileges, including sovereign immunity, eminent domain powers, powers to negotiate postal treaties with foreign nations, and an exclusive legal right to deliver first-class and third-class mail. Indeed, in 2004, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in a unanimous decision that the USPS was not a government-owned corporation, and therefore could not be sued under the Sherman Antitrust Act.[39]
    The U.S. Supreme Court has also upheld the USPS's statutory monopoly on access to letter boxes against a First Amendment freedom of speech challenge; it thus remains illegal in the U.S. for anyone, other than the employees and agents of the USPS, to deliver mailpieces to letter boxes marked "U.S. Mail."[40]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...Postal_Service
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?

Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    Sigh...

The post office is federal property. Your concealed permit is issued by your state, and other states may or may not recognize it at their whim. The federal government does not recognize any lawful citizen carry at any post office.
    It is almost funny if it wasn't so sad.....

The federal goverment won't let you practice your right (2A) that is written in the US Contitution which is the main document along with the Declaration of Indepedance that the federal goverment is based on.

Power Corrupts......and the US Goverment is full of it.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    It is almost funny if it wasn't so sad.....

The federal goverment won't let you practice your right (2A) that is written in the US Contitution which is the main document along with the Declaration of Indepedance that the federal goverment is based on.

Power Corrupts......and the US Goverment is full of it.
    Yup...especially considering that the Constitution was originally intended to restrain ONLY the federal government, not the states.
    O RLY?

There is a Lawsuit Pending Concerning Post Office Carry.

The Lawsuit Information can be Viewable here: http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_19423472

aadvark